: hole in the block!!!!!!!!!!

STS 310
08-17-05, 05:49 PM
My tech just called, My block has a hole caused by corrosion.

I guess engine is dead? :(

zonie77
08-17-05, 05:54 PM
WOW! Think you could get a picture of it? Did he say where the hole is? :eek:

Ranger
08-17-05, 06:29 PM
I'm sceptical. How do you corode a hole in a 9 year old block. Even if the coolant was NEVER changed I would have some trouble believing this. Maybe if it was 19 years old. Get a second opinion and have them show it to you.

zonie77
08-18-05, 12:31 AM
As I said, can you take a picture of it or take a look yourself? Pic better for the rest of us.

STS 310
08-18-05, 11:29 AM
I could barely see where the water was coming from. Rite near the cylinder head where it meets the block It is very hard to see, left side (firewall). I couldnt even get a camera down there I could also hear the air come out of the block as he pumped the surge tank.

This guy actually doesnt really want to work on this engine. He is very fair and I have known him for a while. He also said that N* was not his specialty, but had done some work on them in the past, including a few timesert jobs.

I tend to agree with Ranger about getting another estimate even if just reaffirming what has already been said.

Eldyfig
08-18-05, 01:07 PM
Sounds like your "hole" is actually a blown head gasket.

EcSTSatic
08-18-05, 02:04 PM
"Rite near the cylinder head where it meets the block"

I'd have to agree with Eldyfig. The way it reads, it describes a bad gasket. Are we missing something here?

STS 310
08-18-05, 04:39 PM
"Rite near the cylinder head where it meets the block"

I'd have to agree with Eldyfig. The way it reads, it describes a bad gasket. Are we missing something here?

It seems like maybe "I" am the one missing something. I have been on this board for almost 2 years and I didnt even give the HG consideration.

Denial is what it comes down to.

I realised by "cylinder head at the block" is where the HG is.

Ranger
08-18-05, 07:04 PM
Head gasket would make more sense, and be cheaper to fix.

zonie77
08-18-05, 08:16 PM
You guys beat me to it! That hole sure sounds like a head gasket. What kind of mechanic is this?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??/ :cookoo: :confused:

STS 310
08-19-05, 11:45 AM
In talking with the guy again, he says that it is not the at the gasket, but on the block near where the head meets the block. He maintains that there is a "hole" in the block.

I will have some friends drop the cradle and I will assertain if in fact it is the HG (with some help from a friend). If it is in fact the HG, my mom's boyfriend will attempt a DIY on timeserting.

I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime (minivan, sigh...) , so it looks like a couple of weekends I will be busy.

What I would like with out doing a search, is for a general ball park figure on costs.

So, If you chaps would help me out with some fresh info, I would be greatful.

delzy
08-19-05, 11:54 AM
LOL... Chaps are something worn at a gay bar. Perhaps you meant gentlemen, forum members, friends?????

STS 310
08-19-05, 12:03 PM
LOL... Chaps are something worn at a gay bar. Perhaps you meant gentlemen, forum members, friends?????

delzy, I didnt know you were a gay bar fashion expert LOL.:sneaky:

Can my "fellow board members" help me with some info? Please.

turbojimmy
08-19-05, 12:19 PM
Drop the engine out and take a look. Whether it's a hole in the block (unlikely) or a headgasket it's gotta come out anyway.

Jim

STS 310
08-19-05, 12:33 PM
Yea, thats pretty much a given. The hole in the block explanation is becoming more and more like a misdiagnoses as this board would suggest.

Katshot
08-19-05, 12:48 PM
The "hole in the block" is VERY possible. We had at least a dozen or so develope a crack in that area. I've heard of corrosion eating through the blocks but never actually saw one myself.

Ranger
08-19-05, 07:21 PM
Take pictures. I GOTTA see this.

dkozloski
08-19-05, 08:19 PM
Even if it really is a hole from the water jacket to the outside there are all kinds of repairs for that. From welding to drilling and tapping the hole and screwing in a plug to JB Weld or peening it shut with a small hammer. You need to have somebody that knows how to fix something have a look at it.

terrible one
08-19-05, 10:42 PM
I still don't see how the hole could be due to corrosion. I am thinking a crack if it's not the HG. I really really want to see a picture as well! Get your "chaps" some pictures!:thumbsup:

peteski
08-20-05, 12:33 PM
Assuming that it really is cracked, I'm surprised that the wonderful Bars Leak stuff didn't seal it! :-)

Peteski

Eldyfig
08-20-05, 03:04 PM
You meant that to be funny, right? The coolant supplement is just to help seal porous castings.

terrible one
08-20-05, 03:32 PM
I think (and hope) he was being sarcastic.

Spyder
08-20-05, 03:34 PM
Yes, yes...that was pure sarcasm...

STS 310
08-21-05, 05:18 PM
Even if it really is a hole from the water jacket to the outside there are all kinds of repairs for that. From welding to drilling and tapping the hole and screwing in a plug to JB Weld or peening it shut with a small hammer. You need to have somebody that knows how to fix something have a look at it.

DKOZ, I was thinking the same thing. If it is just a temporary fix, at least I can get it to another lot and grab another Caddy while my trade in value is tops and not bottoms.

I will take it to the Caddy guy in town to get a better diagnosis, then go over my options. I still think the engine may have to be pulled to get a better look.

Then again what do I know.

I will get pictures for you "chaps" in any case.

Update soon.

lry99eldo
08-21-05, 08:52 PM
I'm afraid I have to tell you that it's Block worms (common name). The years 1990 thru 1997 were very bad for infested boxite ore from the lower Russian Mining Frontier. Laying dormant for thousands of years, these very rare organisims that are from 3mm to 16mm in length are awakened only when introduced to anything remotely associated with the American Luxury Automobile and are easily recognizable by a faint Red Star tattoo on their short but very powerfull mandables, right in between non funtioning eyes. Thought to be extinct in 1990, their Phoenix is now believed to have been aroused by the importation and mixing of East German surplus concrete with the boxite ore to add weight for commercial purposes. With the minerals only found in the weakened concrete and the addition of 2200 deg F electric fired furnaces did they become the ravenious aluminum 356 cast eating scourge causing entire societies of motor enriched Americans to bow to their knees and pray for forgivness for their prolatariate misgivings. Know in Laten as Mia Wormus Ohshitareenus they have since died off again and any remaining signs show up as leaking Cadillac engine blocks that must be removed and sent through the Iron Mountain Star Gate facility in Colorado to an Ohshitareenus friendly planet address OM16R-472M. Their, they are turned into O'nealium, atomic number 102.88.
I've got to find a job soon.

zonie77
08-21-05, 11:48 PM
You do great at writing SciFi!

I had a friend who developed the red & green electron theory. Greens are nice and round, like marbles. Red are uneven, like clods of dirt. If the red ones bunch up the wire starts to glow red! Usually caused by a kink, or corrosion. It is more involved but he never wrote it down, now it's probably lost.

Possibly Caddy wiring is susceptable to the red ones?!?!?!

peteski
08-22-05, 12:14 AM
Yes, yes...that was pure sarcasm...

But of course! I had a smiley in my post, but I entered it by hand and it didn't show up properly. :-) <<< see! :)

Everybody has been on edge here since "you know who" departed... Relax...

Peteski

STS 310
08-25-05, 09:29 PM
Headed to the dealer for another CAD, hoping for a DTS. (DOnt flame me..)

Some "stop leak" has got a temp seal for now.

Kind of disappointed in the N*, but I will buy another.

Thanks to all with insight.

Still havent actually seen the "hole".

Gonna keep this beast for my son( for the fact that there is no limiter in the PCM and I think its a keeper.)

Talk to yall later.

Tom Cramer
08-26-05, 11:57 PM
What's the lowdown on the Bars leak stuff? is it really worth a try? or is it just snake oil?
Tom