: Limited slip...sort of

LymanSS
11-18-03, 06:34 AM
I found out that a company produces a product that will provide limited slip differential function for our northstar equipped cars. It's called "phantom grip" and the part is something like 250 dollars. I'm still researching it, trying to find out how well it works, but there seem to be a lot of people out there using these on a lot of different cars. It's not a conventional limited slip device. You have to install it into your existing differential, and it works by applying pressure to the spider gears under some slip circumstances. So far all the reviews I've read by people who've used them are positive. The best part is that they make one for the tranny used in northstar cars. Anyway, I'm trying to get more details and I'll post them as I get them. I know I would certainly love to have and LSD on my caddy, as wheel spin is definitely a problem with my car, especially around corners.

Scott

EDIT: Here's an article reviewing the product. It seems to speak pretty positively about it and has some decent (although not perfect) data to back it up. I'm still a little sketching on how exactly this whole thing works. It doesn't look like a posi unit. Very strange. http://nissanperformancemag.com/november02/phantomgrip/

LymanSS
11-20-03, 10:58 AM
Whoa....don't get too excited or anything. It's only limited slip. It's not like 275-300 hp through the front wheels presents any sort of traction problem.

Scott