: Study Shows Toyota Job Impact in U.S.

HotRodSaint
08-17-05, 11:01 AM
A study by the Center for Automotive Research of Ann Arbor, MI, shows Toyota Motor Corp. employs 103,195 workers directly at its U.S. manufacturing and dealer-related operations. (http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_study_shows_toyota/index.htm)

A study by the Center for Automotive Research of Ann Arbor, MI, shows Toyota Motor Corp. employs 103,195 workers directly at its U.S. manufacturing and dealer-related operations.

Adding that figure to 113,650 intermediate positions, such as those at Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers, and 169,455 spin-off jobs (restaurant, retail, etc.), Toyota is responsible for creating 386,300 private sector jobs nationally, says CAR.

CAR found the 386,300 private sector positions generate $14.4 billion in annual compensation in the U.S.

Playdrv4me
08-17-05, 11:16 AM
Good article. Makes sense to me, Toyota has invested alot in the domestic market.

HotRodSaint
08-17-05, 09:11 PM
Good article. Makes sense to me, Toyota has invested alot in the domestic market.

I bought a new Nissan Hardbody in 1991. One of my friends was giving me hard time because I didn't buy an American truck.

I told him it was built in Tennessee by redknecks so how much more 'Merican can it get?

Sandy
08-17-05, 09:39 PM
Okay, let's take this all the way....

Toyota sales continue to gain percentage points in the marketplace. Along with Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Honda, Kia & Hyundai gain considerable growth. Mitsubishi recharges itself and turns in a 50% increase. The preceeding 8 makes enjoy fantastic growth. Mostly coming from the hides of GM and Ford. Finally, GM announces that they are dropping Pontiac and may trim Buick down to one car. Ford has allready killed off Mercury, and is combining the Ford dealerships with the remaining Lincoln dealerships. "WE" now have Ford, Lincoln, Chevy, Buick & Cadillac. 5 brands of cars. Now, the all powerful Asian brands will dictate where parts are sourced, and one-by-one American companies that were suppliers are closing up shop. 90% of parts are now sourced from China/Japan. Eventually the American automobile fades away, and our domestic automobile manufacturing empire is handed to Chinese and Japanese home based corporations, D/B/I (doing business in America) and transplants. Gone is our "domestic" car manufacturing industry, just as out clothing, electronics, radio & television, watch, shoe and other industries have gone before it.
I just don't see what is so great about that. Other than it's just the way "they" want it.
We've allready lost Chrysler Corporation to German ownership, and Oldsmobile has been killed off. As I write this, there are only 8 brands left >
Saturn Chevy Pontiac Buick Cadillac Ford Mercury & Lincoln.
That is the same number of Asian manufacturers here, and NOT counting English, German and Swedish manufacturers selling here. We are allready waaay out numbered.
I can see nothing to praise herein. I do see doom & gloom for many many American corportations, and that in turn means the same fate for many Americans.
You will never catch me handing over a certified check to a foreign car salesman.
{Puts 2 cents on the table, kicks soap box under table, straightens collar and leaves}

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 09:43 PM
You will never catch me handing over a certified check to a foreign car salesman.
{Puts 2 cents on the table, kicks soap box under table, straightens collar and leaves}
Stylish as always

HotRodSaint
08-17-05, 11:07 PM

Does that include American nameplates made in Canada, Mexico, Australia and Korea?

How about Jaguar? Is it American or British?

How about Vauxhal and Opel, or Ford? Ford ceased to be 100% American around 1932, when it started producing car's in Germany, Britain and Australia.

Also, who do you think the Tier 1 and 2 suppliers are in China? Chinese?

I bet Lear and Johnson Control have more business in China, than any Chinese sub-assembler.

ben72227
08-17-05, 11:27 PM
The fact is, I will buy from whoever makes the best products. We live in a capitalistic society, not a communist one. I'm not going to buy the "motherland's" products because I'm supposed to be "patriotic":devil:.

If I need a sports coupe, I'm going to buy an Infiniti G35. Since GM has no REAL AMERICAN sports coupe less than $50k. I mean, I could always get that Australian thing:devil:, but If I'm going to buy a car made overseas, I might as well get a good, stylish, reliable one.

And I'm not going to get a Ford, well because its a ford. And why DCX cars may look pretty, they are mechanical nightmares that I don't want to deal with.

So if GM doesn't have it, I have no qualms about getting it from someone else. And Sandy, you forgot Hummer:p they are American GM.

Besides Sandy, how can you criticize us for buying foreign cars. Case in point - Lets say I want a small pick-up. Since I'm certainly not going to get a Ford Ranger, or a Dodge Dakota, that leaves me with the Chevy Colorado (by the way, Chevy updated their website today, it looks quite nice:p ).

Now, the Chevy Colorado, is well, not deserving of a Chevy bowtie for sure. It is a lame truck. Come on, an I5 engine? With an, at best, mediocre interior. An unproven record. WHy should I not get a Toyota Tacoma? Hmmm?

AND, I don't see GM building any plants in my part of the country either. But Hyundai has already built a plant in Alabama, Kia is going to build a plant in Arkansas or Mississippi, MB has a plant in 'bama too, and BMW has a plant in South Carolina. Now, where are the GM plants? I mean, we're the ones that buy the trucks, so where are our truck plants???:helpless:

Sandy
08-18-05, 01:35 AM
"" Besides Sandy, how can you criticize us for buying foreign cars. ""

Please return to my epic, and locate exactly where I critized you or anyone else. therein. I fail to see it. What I do see, is me, stating my opinions.

Yes, I forgot Hummer. Consider Hummer now included.

Regarding Jaguar, Aston Martin, & Volvo, yes, sales of them benefit Ford Motor Company, so I include them, and likewise Saab and Lotus that GM owns. Domestic brands that are built in Mexico, Canada or other foreign countries I would also include, again because their sales are in fact tallied into FoMoCo or GM's profit.

Now, so that there is no misunderstanding, and as Ben said, this is a capitalistic society and I was only setting forth my personal beliefs, therein.

Everyone is (of course) free to buy what they want. Just don't say to me that I was an idiot to plunk down $45,000 for a Town Car in 2003, and that I shoulda bought an Infiniti or a Lexus or a ....

Playdrv4me
08-18-05, 02:10 AM
Sandy Ive always considered you one of the people on the domestic side of the table with a reasonable view. You dont condemn the rest of us for purchasing foreign products (like some do), and in fact there are quite a few I know youve even said you like. So I take your opinion as educated and fair, always.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 05:51 AM
Sandy Ive always considered you one of the people on the domestic side of the table with a reasonable view. You dont condemn the rest of us for purchasing foreign products (like some do), and in fact there are quite a few I know youve even said you like. So I take your opinion as educated and fair, always.

+1

IF he was forced to he would buy a Jaguar, i read that on here somewhere, its all good :)

HotRodSaint
08-18-05, 11:07 AM
I do see doom & gloom for many many American corportations, and that in turn means the same fate for many Americans.

I see opportunity for American corporations, and that in turn means the same for many Americans.

But then, I'm not a demo... :shhh:

It's all good Sandy, nothing personal. I prefer to see the rainbow through the rain and not worry about the small tornado that will wipe out some of the trailer homes. Because tomorrow, the sun will shine and even the trailer homes will be rebuilt.

HotRodSaint
08-18-05, 11:09 AM
...and Lotus that GM owns.

I know Proton (Malaysian) was thinking of selling Lotus, but did GM buy them?

That would be really cool, or maybe really bad, depending on if you are a GM fan or Lotus fan.

Sandy
08-18-05, 11:33 AM
I read that Proton ran into $$$ trouble(s) and was "assisted" by GM who now has a 51% controlling interst in Lotus. I guess it's "on the fence"

Regarding MY personal favorite car(s) that I can't buy because it goes against my beliefs, if I were a mega millionaire, there is but 1 choice, and if/when I hit Lotto, I will indeed order one, and that's the Maserati Quatraporte @ $148,500.00.

Coming back down to earth - my favorite foreign car has been the same for years, several years, and that's the "Q" !! Infiniti Q45. Coming in a distant 2nd place would be a Mercedes SLK AMG Roadster. (That's the smaller cheaper 2-seat roadster, not the $130,000 one - but the one that's like $66,000.

My wife's favorite foreign car is (well... was) the Diamante.

EDIT

I read where GM owns a hunk of Subaru. Is this true ????

Seem like maybe, because SAAB now has a refaced version of a Subaru. Anyone see that? It's a small(ish) SUV. Now we know GM owns SAAB but do they have a hunk of Subaru? Who knows ???

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 11:44 AM

Seem like maybe, because SAAB now has a refaced version of a Subaru. Anyone see that? It's a small(ish) SUV. Now we know GM owns SAAB but do they have a hunk of Subaru? Who knows ???

I have seen the saab.

They do own a piece of Subaru, Izusu and Suzuki. Lotus has been on and off controlled by GM for a few years, i think they own a large share in it.

http://www.autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/saab/saab_9-2x_2003_02_b.jpg
^Saab "9-2x"

Brett
08-18-05, 05:36 PM
I was not aware that Toyota was a Japanese company. I just thought their headquarters were there. It confuses me because i've owned shares in TM for a while now, yet I'm not japanese. I thought it was a publically traded company.......

Sandy
08-18-05, 06:12 PM
Oh My God, I forgot!

ISUZU ! !! Gm owns all of Isuzu, which is why the Ascender is 100% identical to the Buick Rainier, GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer, only the Isuzu has a 10 year warrantee rather than 4 years and is $2,000 less $$$$ ! It's a hell of a deal !
They also have rebadged different grille versions of two GMC/Chevy pickups.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 06:15 PM
Oh My God, I forgot!

ISUZU ! !! Gm owns all of Isuzu, which is why the Ascender is 100% identical to the Buick Rainier, GMC Envoy, Chevy Trailblazer, only the Isuzu has a 10 year warrantee rather than 4 years and is $2,000 less $$$$ ! It's a hell of a deal !
They also have rebadged different grille versions of two GMC/Chevy pickups.

Yeah theyve owned Isuzu for a while, when i bought my Trooper in 95, Vauxhall was offering a version of it called the Montery, it appears Izuse 4x4s fill alot of gaps accross the GM range....

Ralph
08-18-05, 11:44 PM
I read that Proton ran into $$$ trouble(s) and was "assisted" by GM who now has a 51% controlling interst in Lotus. I guess it's "on the fence"

GM has not owned any part of Lotus since about 1993, when they sold it to Romano Artioli, then owner of Bugatti (the Elise is named after his granddaughter). Artioli ran into serious financial trouble and then sold almost all of his stake in Lotus a few years late. The buyer was Proton, which still owns almost all of Lotus.

Proton is itself owned by Petronas the Malaysian state oil company (and is thus ultimately owned by the Malaysian government). Proton also owns a budget brand small car company in Malaysia called Perodua (which exports to Europe). (Petronas also owns the Italian motorcycle manufacturer MV Agusta). Recently, Proton has had some financial difficulties, as its cars aren't very exciting and can't really compete on a price level with the Chinese or Koreans. There has been rumours that they might sell Lotus, but these have been denied.

It is true that GM owns 20% of Subaru and about the same amount of Suzuki. GM has essentially declared that Saab and Subaru will exchange engineering in the future (much to the annoyance of Subaru dealers).

Here is a list of brands that GM owns or has stakes in:

Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn, Vauxhall, Opel, Holden.

They own almost all of Isuzu and Saab. Most of Daewoo. The previously mentioned shares of Subaru and Suzuki.

GM, of course, recently sold its shares in Fiat Group. Once upon a time they also owned the brand which built many 442s. But they threw it away, in their brilliance.

Sandy
08-19-05, 12:24 AM
SORRY !! Scratch Lotus, and add Suzuki (Did I say that? :banghead: )

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 07:40 AM
GM has not owned any part of Lotus since about 1993, when they sold it to Romano Artioli, then owner of Bugatti (the Elise is named after his granddaughter). Artioli ran into serious financial trouble and then sold almost all of his stake in Lotus a few years late. The buyer was Proton, which still owns almost all of Lotus.

What about the Vauxhall/Opel VX220 then?

It is a Lotus Elise with new bodywork, Vauxhall/Opel admit this, and it was introduced LONG after 93. Lotus was always in financial diffculty. IM prety sure GM still has some control over that company. I do know Lotus do development work for other companys, suspension type things, there was a fear within Lotus when GM first purchased it that GM executives would have access to the confidential files from their other customers.

Deawoo in the UK has been renamed. Chevrolet.

Ralph
08-19-05, 05:27 PM
What about the Vauxhall/Opel VX220 then?

It is a Lotus Elise with new bodywork, Vauxhall/Opel admit this, and it was introduced LONG after 93. Lotus was always in financial diffculty. IM prety sure GM still has some control over that company. I do know Lotus do development work for other companys, suspension type things, there was a fear within Lotus when GM first purchased it that GM executives would have access to the confidential files from their other customers.

GM built both the VX220 and the Opel Speedster on Lotus's Elise platform (GM licensed the platform). GM still makes use of Lotus engineering from time to time, as do many other companies. GM has no ownership interest in Lotus.

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 05:37 PM
Lotus built both the VX220 and the Opel Speedster on the Elise platform (GM has the liscense to the platform) GM allowed Lotus to build both on the Elise platform. GM still makes use of Lotus engineering from time to time as do many other companies. GM has no ownership interest in Lotus.

Shame
i was looking forward to that new Exige with a vauxhall badge. Im on the Lotus mailing list and i got a brochure about it yesterday. Its real nice. My wife likes it alot :cool2: :helpless:

Jesda
08-19-05, 07:29 PM
Why does Isuzu still exist?

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 07:52 PM
Why does Isuzu still exist?

I hve NO idea, they had their hayday with the Trooper, now thats gone theres not much point...

Ralph
08-20-05, 04:30 AM
GM in its wisdom went cheap on Isuzu, and didn't bother to give them enough money to engineer any new models. Typical short-sighted cost-cutting tactic.

So now Isuzu is stuck selling a Trailblazer with a funny nose and a small pickup which is a carbon copy of GM's own. In Canada, GM has already dropped Isuzu from their dealerships, which were previously paired with Saturn and Saab. So now those dealers don't have ANY trucks to sell.

Back in Japan, Isuzu actually still offers some cars, but those are badge-engineered too. Their main business is commercial vehicles.

A sad story. They went from being a superhot SUV brand in the mid-1990s, and then GM presided over their losing 90% of their sales. Product is everything.

mccombie_5
08-20-05, 06:20 AM
GM in its wisdom went cheap on Isuzu, and didn't bother to give them enough money to engineer any new models. Typical short-sighted cost-cutting tactic.

So now Isuzu is stuck selling a Trailblazer with a funny nose and a small pickup which is a carbon copy of GM's own. In Canada, GM has already dropped Isuzu from their dealerships, which were previously paired with Saturn and Saab. So now those dealers don't have ANY trucks to sell.

Back in Japan, Isuzu actually still offers some cars, but those are badge-engineered too. Their main business is commercial vehicles.

A sad story. They went from being a superhot SUV brand in the mid-1990s, and then GM presided over their losing 90% of their sales. Product is everything.

Shame, when i had the Trooper (it was a SWB commercial model, bull bars and towing kit) it was great at being a workhorse, it had the 3.1 Turbocharged engine, and alot of power, it did its job with ease, although today my Dads wife drives it, and i dont think i could go back to driving it, no FM radio, no electric windows, only two seats, the list goes on, but its still doiong its job after 244,000 miles and going fine at it.

They were onto a winner there, shame they didnt replace it.

They would still be selling it had it not been for the emmisions that were rediculously high. So i went back to Range Rover in 2002, i kept the Izusu for 9-10 years, finally got rid of her in 2004, and it never needed ANYTHING repaired or replaced apart from oil etc that was done in the servicing.

Randy_W
08-22-05, 02:42 PM
Sandy Ive always considered you one of the people on the domestic side of the table with a reasonable view. You dont condemn the rest of us for purchasing foreign products (like some do

Playdrv, you shouldn't be saying bad stuff about me while I was away having a life for a couple of weeks! :D

Playdrv4me
08-22-05, 04:05 PM
Playdrv, you shouldn't be saying bad stuff about me while I was away having a life for a couple of weeks! :D

I was wondering where you scampered off to! ;)

Randy_W
08-22-05, 06:07 PM
I was wondering where you scampered off to! ;)

vacation, weddings and bought a new truck!:)

Ralph
08-22-05, 06:13 PM
vacation, weddings and bought a new truck!:)

Toyota tundra?

:histeric:

Playdrv4me
08-22-05, 06:17 PM
Toyota tundra?

:histeric:

LMAO!! :histeric: :thumbsup:

Really though, what did you get?

Randy_W
08-22-05, 10:12 PM
LMAO!! :histeric: :thumbsup:

Really though, what did you get?

An Armada! NOT!!!!!!!:D

I bought a Tahoe Z71, I always liked the body style, and these are the most comfy seats I've ever had in a vehicle including the 1000 way adjustable units in the SSEi that my wife had!;)

Playdrv4me
08-22-05, 10:32 PM
An Armada! NOT!!!!!!!:D

I bought a Tahoe Z71, I always liked the body style, and these are the most comfy seats I've ever had in a vehicle including the 1000 way adjustable units in the SSEi that my wife had!;)

Awesome. What year is it? I like the newer ones because you can replace the headlights with Sylvania Xenarc kits and have a swap in Xenon lighting system in less than 30 minutes of install time.

Randy_W
08-22-05, 10:39 PM
It's an '04, I just don't buy new cars any more, I can't give away that 30%+ the first year! I get a lot more vehicle for my money this way. By the way, did you ever buy anything yet?

Playdrv4me
08-22-05, 10:44 PM
It's an '04, I just don't buy new cars any more, I can't give away that 30%+ the first year! I get a lot more vehicle for my money this way. By the way, did you ever buy anything yet?

Oh yea I agree about new vs. used. 04 is basically the same as 05 anyway except for those little red and silver Z71 badges on the 05. In the Full size GM Trucks anything after 03 is basically the way to go, plus you can definitely do the headlight swap on an 04.

I think I am getting the 740 BMW i was after a while back. It was an on again off again thing, the guy who was selling it said it was sold because he was trying to trade it in but they wouldnt give him the deal he wanted on the car HE wanted to buy so he offered back to the dealership Im getting it from again.

Randy_W
08-22-05, 11:03 PM
I have a friend with a 7 series, late '90's. It's black, with saddle interior. It's a nice driving car.;)

Playdrv4me
08-22-05, 11:24 PM
Did you see I almost bought that 98 Mark VIII Collectors Edition?

Ralph
08-22-05, 11:41 PM
I have a friend with a 7 series It's a nice driving car.;)

OK, somebody wake me up because Randy wouldn't say that. This must be Bizarro world. :hide:

:p

Randy_W
08-23-05, 08:46 AM
Did you see I almost bought that 98 Mark VIII Collectors Edition?

No, I missed that, I knew you were looking for one, though. I'm not a Ford fan, but the Mk VIII is one I could live with.:thumbsup:

Randy_W
08-23-05, 08:50 AM
OK, somebody wake me up because Randy wouldn't say that. This must be Bizarro world. :hide:

:p

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

Look, here it is. If you see me driving an import, it'll be someone else's car, period. However, if someone wants to drive one, it's not for me to tell them what to do. I still have a problem with import and other domestic brands using this form to diss Cadillac. There are plenty of places where that is more appropriate. But hey! Live and let live!:thumbsup: