: Asians oversell horsepower

HotRodSaint
08-17-05, 09:58 AM
Strict new tests developed by the industry's top engineering group are prompting the carmakers to roll back horsepower estimates on several key vehicles, including the Toyota Camry, America's best-selling car, and Honda's luxurious Acura RL. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0508/17/A01-283759.htm)

"From what we've seen so far, this is going to affect the Japanese and the Europeans a lot more than the domestic manufacturers," said Mark Brueggemann, senior market analyst for Kelley Blue Book.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-05, 12:23 PM
check out the xlr and vette power numbers

Cadillac XLR 440 469

Chevrolet Corvette LS7 500 505

Elvis
08-17-05, 02:20 PM
We never really worried about torque in the old days. That was something you talked about with big diesel rigs.

But when the Asians came into the US market and were putting a dent in Mustang sales (among others) the domestic owners started comparing torque, which the 4-cylinder engine is virtually incapable of producing.

So what we're finding out now is that the Japs have been lying to us, just like they were on December 6th, 1941.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 02:30 PM
We never really worried about torque in the old days. That was something you talked about with big diesel rigs.

But when the Asians came into the US market and were putting a dent in Mustang sales (among others) the domestic owners started comparing torque, which the 4-cylinder engine is virtually incapable of producing.

So what we're finding out now is that the Japs have been lying to us, just like they were on December 6th, 1941.

I think some of the 4 cyl diesel engines have alot of torque, but i dont know if you were referring to diesels or not, my 1995 izusu trooper had oodles of torque...

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-05, 03:04 PM
I think some of the 4 cyl diesel engines have alot of torque, but i dont know if you were referring to diesels or not, my 1995 izusu trooper had oodles of torque...

and ive got oodles of noodles

caddydaddy
08-17-05, 03:10 PM
Ooodles of torque? Like as much as my 472? Or even my Northstar??? Doubtful!

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 03:17 PM
Ooodles of torque? Like as much as my 472? Or even my Northstar??? Doubtful!

Oh of course not, but plenty for what i used the ole crate for, towing, killing things, scaring children....

addison_ii
08-17-05, 04:38 PM
Oh of course not, but plenty for what i used the ole crate for, towing, killing things, scaring children....

Geez MC5 first baiting UK Bonneville owners to race, now this, what's next??:D

Kev
08-17-05, 04:46 PM
I think some of the 4 cyl diesel engines have alot of torque, but i dont know if you were referring to diesels or not, my 1995 izusu trooper had oodles of torque...What he's not telling us here guys is that the beast was geared so low that you could walk faster than it at 3000rpm in 1st gear! LOL!

Oh, just kidding Mac! :canttalk: :hide:
:getaway:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 05:04 PM
What he's not telling us here guys is that the beast was geared so low that you could walk faster than it at 3000rpm in 1st gear! LOL!

Oh, just kidding Mac! :canttalk: :hide:
:getaway:

Actually......It had low gearing, you could probably walk faster at it in 5th gear. Oh what a crate it was, in fact, it still is, i sold it to my dads wife. I remember it needed some work, so my dad decided to take charge, he had never driven a 4x4 before, he turned the idle switch up and scared himself by allowing it to idle at 6000rpm

And i am perfectly entitled to bait Bonnevile owners here...not that i would of course, ahem....

Vesicant
08-17-05, 05:13 PM
Honda is reducing horsepower ratings across its Acura brand. The flagship RL sedan will lose 10 horsepower, to 290 from 300.

AAHA!! I knew that 05' RL we test drove didnt have 300 hp. Certainly didnt feel like it, less than 290 even :suspect:

- rant over -

I find it funny that Americans were being under rated, however, I suspect Cadillac had a reason on their side :halo:

How low can the Scion go ...

(okay go back on your other topic now :D )

Stoneage_Caddy
08-17-05, 05:49 PM
several prominet folks in the business that are worth there beans know that HP is a worthless method of figureing out how much "work" a given engine can do

weister42
08-17-05, 05:54 PM
I rode in a Scion xB and the acceleration was a joke...I drove a loaner Cavaliar and that thing was faster.

But then again those cars are geared for economy.

90Brougham350
08-17-05, 09:56 PM
Hahaha, this is great! And since technically, engines don't actually produce horsepower, they produce an amount of torque at a given RPM..... I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ricers: who wouldn't want the low-end torque of a box fan.

Apparently now, the horsepower of one too.......:devil:

Brian

Jesda
08-19-05, 06:44 PM
Fun tidbit:
In the late 80s Nissan, Honda, and Toyota under-rated the power of their high-performance cars because of an agreement to not sell cars over 276hp. The 1990 Q45, for example, the quickest of the 90-96 generation, has an actual output of 295-300hp (just under 310hp with an aftermarket ECU).

I'll never understand how the Japanese do business, but I guess it works.