: I'm going to kill my son

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 07:11 AM
I just got a letter. Or more correctly a speeding fine. For my BMW. As many of you know my older son has been driving this car for a few months since i took the STS. I am still the registered keeper of the Beemer though.
This morning a letter from the clerk of justice arrived on my door mat. It is a £60 fine, and more to the point 3 points on his license, since i will be declaring that he or his girlfriend was driving the car at the time it went through the GATSO camera.
When i find him his life will not be worth living. 54mph in a 30mph limit. If he was going just 6mph more he would have lost his license. I think this is very irresponsible of him, i drive well above the speed limit, but thats on motorways and back roads. 30mph limits are only in RESIDENTIAL areas. Or near schools.
:want:

c5 rv
08-17-05, 07:35 AM
About a month ago, I got a call from my son who's stationed in North Carolina.

"Dad, did you get a ticket in the mail from Virginia?"

"No, why?"

"Well, the light was yellow when I went through the intersection, but the camera lights still flashed. I just wondered."

Still no ticket in the mail. Which is a good thing because given his size, strength, and Marine training, I doubt I could choke him.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 08:10 AM
About a month ago, I got a call from my son who's stationed in North Carolina.

"Dad, did you get a ticket in the mail from Virginia?"

"No, why?"

"Well, the light was yellow when I went through the intersection, but the camera lights still flashed. I just wondered."

Still no ticket in the mail. Which is a good thing because given his size, strength, and Marine training, I doubt I could choke him.

Hahaha! :histeric:
The thing that annoys me is that i tought him to drive, and i also tought him if there is one place you dont speed it is in a residential area.

My son is about the same size as me. So i will easily choke him
He is supposed to be coming around on thursday to collect the cash for the Eldo. HEs in for a shock.

Sandy
08-17-05, 09:46 AM
Just before he walks thru your door, ask yourself this question.

"How would I act, if I had a fortune teller's lamp ~ and could see into the future ~ and I saw that was to be the last time in your life that you'd ever see your son again?" Think about that.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-17-05, 09:47 AM
"dad i have great news , i just caused you to pay more for your car insureance"
(american joke)
Residental , and 54 mph ? its gonna be hard not to choke the guy ....

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 09:47 AM
Just before he walks thru your door, ask yourself this question.

"How would I act, if I had a fortune teller's lamp ~ and could see into the future ~ and I saw that was to be the last time in our lifes that you'd ever see your son again?" Think about that.

Oh crap. Now you made me feel guilty.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 09:48 AM
"dad i have great news , i just caused you to pay more for your car insureance"
(american joke)
Residental , and 54 mph ? its gonna be hard not to choke the guy ....

Exactly- MY insurance hes just a named driver on it. It will put my premium up

Stoneage_Caddy
08-17-05, 09:51 AM
sandy made a good point , if he is driving in that manner that could be the last time you see him , beatter put the brakes on it soon .....

insated of the eldo you need to find him something terribly underpowered and VERY unrelaible , first it will take forveer to get it to an unlawful speed and second he will hesitate to take it there due to the fact it might break

Sandy
08-17-05, 09:58 AM
God saved me. Maybe I can save you.

Several years after being married & living in our house, I stopped by my folks house (6 miles away) to say "Hi" ~ a mid-day timeframe on a Tuesday. My Mom & I were in the kitchen, talking. I was 39 years old. After a bit we got into a heated verbal argument, over the fact that I had left personal possessions at my folks house and my Mom wanted me to clean them out. I tried to expalin that I didn't have room for them in my wife & my house & that I would go thru them in the next month and throw out what was not wanted and take the rest over to my house. This did not fly and the argument continued. During the heated exchange my Dad came downstairs from the 2nd floor and was heading to the porch area. He passed thru the kitchen. Normally, he'd jump on Mom's side. This time he did not, He said not a word, but proceeded to the screened in porch (it was Autumn & nice). Mom & I made up and I told her goodbye and went to tell dad goodbye. He responded and I left. Dad died that evening.
Had he intervened in our spat & am sure I woulda yelled at him, too, and left angry at both, feeling overwhelmed by the two of them. But for the grace of God Dad kept quiet, but I learned a big lesson that day. Never leave angry, you might not have an opportunity to say, "I'm Sorry" ~ NOTHING but NOTHING is THAT important to live with a guilty conscience.
Stay calm. Explain to Jr. the wrongs of his ways. In years to come he will admire your self control, and use it on his kids.
Whadda ya think ?

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 09:58 AM
sandy made a good point , if he is driving in that manner that could be the last time you see him , beatter put the brakes on it soon .....

insated of the eldo you need to find him something terribly underpowered and VERY unrelaible , first it will take forveer to get it to an unlawful speed and second he will hesitate to take it there due to the fact it might break

The Eldo is for my other son (mc6) when he can drive next year, i intend to drive it until then to prevent any underuse problems. I was going to get my older son another STS, not anymore, i would like to believe he is a safe driver, it isnt the type of thing he usually does. Im going to see what excuse he gives for driving at that speed. After all it is MY car, and not only do i not want a dead son, i will not trust a £37,000 ($65k) (current used value) car with my son who is going to drive it dangerously.

safe to say i am not happy with this behaviour. Tomorrow I am taking my keys back for that BMW. Until i think he can drive it safely hes not touching it. His 1.4 litre Corsa is still in my drvieway, im giving hiom that until i think he can be trusted.

IM less angry now, more disappointed :nono:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 10:04 AM
God saved me. Maybe I can save you.

Several years after being married & living in our house, I stopped by my folks house (6 miles away) to say "Hi" ~ a mid-day timeframe on a Tuesday. My Mom & I were in the kitchen, talking. I was 39 years old. After a bit we got into a heated verbal argument, over the fact that I had left personal possessions at my folks house and my Mom wanted me to clean them out. I tried to expalin that I didn't have room for them in my wife & my house & that I would go thru them in the next month and throw out what was not wanted and take the rest over to my house. This did not fly and the argument continued. During the heated exchange my Dad came downstairs from the 2nd floor and was heading to the porch area. He passed thru the kitchen. Normally, he'd jump on Mom's side. This time he did not, He said not a word, but proceeded to the screened in porch (it was Autumn & nice). Mom & I made up and I told her goodbye and went to tell dad goodbye. He responded and I left. Dad died that evening.
Had he intervened in our spat & am sure I woulda yelled at him, too, and left angry at both, feeling overwhelmed by the two of them. But for the grace of God Dad kept quiet, but I learned a big lesson that day. Never leave angry, you might not have an opportunity to say, "I'm Sorry" ~ NOTHING but NOTHING is THAT important to live with a guilty conscience.
Stay calm. Explain to Jr. the wrongs of his ways. In years to come he will admire your self control, and use it on his kids.
Whadda ya think ?

Well Sandy, I am not a religious man, but i do believe in fate. And i wouldnt want to lose my son. For all i really care he could go and crash that car, andi wouldnt care so long as he was okay. I am very disappointed in him, because i genuinely thought beter of him and trusted him with such a dangerous piece of equipment. I mean that car has a 4.5 litre engine, it is fast. HE shouldnt be driving it if he cant use that power wisely. I mean, hes 25, i would of expected better of him.

I am definately taking my car back until he learns that they are dangerous machines. He needs to learn how easy it would be for him to die, or hit a child, because i know the area and there are children on the streets there, an what chance has a child got agains a car that weight more than a tonne? aspecially somethign travelling at 54mph.

Playdrv4me
08-17-05, 10:14 AM
Correct, Sandy has a point but at the same time 54 in a 30 would very likely get you jailed here. Most counties here consider 20mph over the speed limit wreckless driving and it is just that. I speed alot too, but not through residential areas where you have absolutely ZERO reaction time if someone pops out in the middle of the street. I would take appropriate measures there

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 10:23 AM
Correct, Sandy has a point but at the same time 54 in a 30 would very likely get you jailed here. Most counties here consider 20mph over the speed limit wreckless driving and it is just that. I speed alot too, but not through residential areas where you have absolutely ZERO reaction time if someone pops out in the middle of the street. I would take appropriate measures there

My point exactly. There is the chance that it is his girlfriend who was driving, but i doubt that she has her own car.
I honestly dont know how he got away with 54. 30 over is usually the limit here but i wouldnt tolerate to 24 over the limit.He is in big trouble when i see him. My wife got a speeding ticket a few months ago for doing 34 in a 30. She was mortified. She will be finding about this too. I wouldnt normally tell her about such things, but she will wonder why the 545 is suddenly back at our house.

The annoying part is i trusted him, because i thought i could.

Sandy
08-17-05, 10:27 AM
Just take the car away, explain why, and close the conversation. If need be, leave the house for a while. You've stated the reason, there is nothing more to talk about. Silence carries more weight than angry words.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 10:32 AM
Just take the car away, explain why, and close the conversation. If need be, leave the house for a while. You've stated the reason, there is nothing more to talk about. Silence carries more weight than angry words.

Hmmm looks like i am going to have to organise an alternative pick up time for that eldo. It is quite a distance away and i need two people to go to collect. im sure he wont do that if i take away his car. Im also busy tomorrow picking up my wife from the airport. I will also be finding aout why he was doing that speed.

His mother will probably react worse than i have. Im going to have to break it to her gently.

slk230mb
08-17-05, 10:33 AM
Silence carries more weight than angry words.

Aint that the truth.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 10:36 AM
Aint that the truth.

My wife doesnt think that way. She thinks bawling at him will help. I cant stop her, she needs to know about it.

Kev
08-17-05, 11:27 AM
OK, I have a thought here. All have given valid points.

If I were in your shoes Mac, I would consider (assuming the young man is of legal adult age, 19 yrs +?) that it's time for him to take responsibility for himself at least in the area of autos and driving. No need to get angry at him, you can (in love) explain to him that it is time for him to purchase his own means of transportation, provide for the maintenance and secure an adequate insurance policy for it.

In this you will be doing your son a valuable service. He will learn value and responsibility by it. There need be no animosity or anger (your son might not appreciate the gesture at this time but as he matures he will see the value).

Our greatest lessons are often learned in times of adversity. It will likely be a hardship for the young man at first but consider the butterfly, the struggle of exiting the cocoon is crucial for the final development of the wings. If the cocoon is cut open to allow the creature out itís wings are not infused with life giving circulation and the butterfly dies.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 11:47 AM
OK, I have a thought here. All have given valid points.

If I were in your shoes Mac, I would consider (assuming the young man is of legal adult age, 19 yrs +?) that it's time for him to take responsibility for himself at least in the area of autos and driving. No need to get angry at him, you can (in love) explain to him that it is time for him to purchase his own means of transportation, provide for the maintenance and secure an adequate insurance policy for it.

In this you will be doing your son a valuable service. He will learn value and responsibility by it. There need be no animosity or anger (your son might not appreciate the gesture at this time but as he matures he will see the value).

Our greatest lessons are often learned in times of adversity. It will likely be a hardship for the young man at first but consider the butterfly, the struggle of exiting the cocoon is crucial for the final development of the wings. If the cocoon is cut open to allow the creature out itís wings are not infused with life giving circulation and the butterfly dies.

Thats quite a nice way of putting it. I have to agree, although the only reason he ended up with the BMW is because i saw the way he looked after his Corsa and his Rover Gta.

When I loaned him the BMW he left his Corsa with me. I will be returning him his Corsa. He kept this car very well, there is not a scratch on it, he has owned it from new, and it has only got 21k on the clock. He did look after this car, as he did with the Rover. Ive never once seen or heard of him driving dangerously. This is out of character.

He will not be getting another one of my cars until i can trust him.

Thanks for the advice, im in half a mind to call him now and demand he bring my car back.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-05, 11:53 AM
man 54 in a residential, hes got it all wrong, youre supposed to creep n crawl thru residentials, how else will someone be able to stare down the ride and the person in it?

all jokes aside i dont think this issue is as serious as its being made out to be. let him know about the ticket, let him know he messed up, if hes an adult, and a mature adult, there should be no argument involved.

this coming from the younger side of the situation, im sure id understand that my mistake and improper judgement was the direct cause of your actions (repossesion). of course it would still be best to explain or present it to me in a calm logical manner and not screamin and yellin and interrupting me not giving me a chance to talk, thats the most irritating thing in a dispute, tryin to voice your side and bein interrupted with the same thing ive heard 10 times already

Blackout
08-17-05, 12:05 PM
*WHEW!* I saw the title of this thread and I was hoping that the author wasn't Katshot

Elvis
08-17-05, 12:11 PM
My wife doesnt think that way. She thinks bawling at him will help. I cant stop her, she needs to know about it.

Good cop, bad cop always worked on me. :duck:

slk230mb
08-17-05, 12:17 PM
*WHEW!* I saw the title of this thread and I was hoping that the author wasn't Katshot

LOL. Why what did you do?? :sneaky:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 12:19 PM
man 54 in a residential, hes got it all wrong, youre supposed to creep n crawl thru residentials, how else will someone be able to stare down the ride and the person in it?

all jokes aside i dont think this issue is as serious as its being made out to be. let him know about the ticket, let him know he messed up, if hes an adult, and a mature adult, there should be no argument involved.

this coming from the younger side of the situation, im sure id understand that my mistake and improper judgement was the direct cause of your actions (repossesion). of course it would still be best to explain or present it to me in a calm logical manner and not screamin and yellin and interrupting me not giving me a chance to talk, thats the most irritating thing in a dispute, tryin to voice your side and bein interrupted with the same thing ive heard 10 times already

Oh he'll get his chance to explain. The point is that he broke my trust, i trusted him with a powerful, dangerous car. Imagine if your dad gave you a car like that to use, then you went and broke his trust by driving it almost twice the speed limit where children could be playing.

IM not one for screaming, im quite an understanding and id like to think trusting parent, and i will give him his chance to tell me why he drove dangerously. Which is what it is. Imagine you were driving a car at 50mph and a kid ran out in front though, i will drive that point home because he needs to know that if he hit a child he will never be able to forget it.

Hes going back to his Corsa for the near future.

I would tolerate speeding anywhere else, but not in a residential, on the open road he can take the damn thing up to 155! I know i have. But i never speed in a residential, and i used to believe he was the same. Obviously not.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 12:22 PM
Good cop, bad cop always worked on me. :duck:

Hahaha its more like good cop (aka me) vs manic cop with weapons (aka mrs mc) :duck: :duck: :helpless:

Kev
08-17-05, 12:25 PM
Oh he'll get his chance to explain. The point is that he broke my trust, i trusted him with a powerful, dangerous car. Imagine if your dad gave you a car like that to use, then you went and broke his trust by driving it almost twice the speed limit where children could be playing.

IM not one for screaming, im quite an understanding and id like to think trusting parent, and i will give him his chance to tell me why he drove dangerously. Which is what it is. Imagine you were driving a car at 50mph and a kid ran out in front though, i will drive that point home because he needs to know that if he hit a child he will never be able to forget it.

I would tolerate speeding anywhere else, but not in a residential, on the open road he can take the damn thing up to 155! I know i have. But i never speed in a residential, and i used to believe he was the same. Obviously not.Amen!

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 12:33 PM
Amen!

;) im thinking about giving him a call

OffThaHorseCEO
08-17-05, 12:36 PM

I would tolerate speeding anywhere else, but not in a residential, on the open road he can take the damn thing up to 155! I know i have. But i never speed in a residential, and i used to believe he was the same. Obviously not.

wat are you gonna do if he says,"i made a mistake, im sorry, it wont happen again, and im prepared to deal with the consequences..."

very unlikely of course, i dont think id say that right away unless i thought about it before hand. but if i said that, id like to think id be told the consequences/punishment and have it be left at that instead of continued reprimanding

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 12:49 PM
wat are you gonna do if he says,"i made a mistake, im sorry, it wont happen again, and im prepared to deal with the consequences..."

very unlikely of course, i dont think id say that right away unless i thought about it before hand. but if i said that, id like to think id be told the consequences/punishment and have it be left at that instead of continued reprimanding

If i know my son he wont say that. I just need for him to know that you cannot drive that fast where there are children. I wont drag anything out longer than i have to. Im just annoyed that he broke my trust.

No matter what he says he has lost the car, i know that for sure, he wont be getting that back for a while.

He will probably react badly to me removing his car, then be apologetic later.

Kev
08-17-05, 12:51 PM
If i know my son he wont say that. I just need for him to know that you cannot drive that fast where there are children. I wont drag anything out longer than i have to. Im just annoyed that he broke my trust.

No matter what he says he has lost the car, i know that for sure, he wont be getting that back for a while.

He will probably react badly to me removing his car, then be apologetic later.Be strong Dad, it's for the best. Fists of iron in velvet gloves! :p

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 12:55 PM
Be strong Dad, it's for the best. Fists of iron in velvet gloves! :p

haha! mmm I'll report back when ive seen him and taken my BMW back. I dont know what im going to do with it though.......My Phaeton will replace it. and it comes soon. Im going to be one car up.... :cool2:

Kev
08-17-05, 12:59 PM
haha! mmm I'll report back when ive seen him and taken my BMW back. I dont know what im going to do with it though.......My Phaeton will replace it. and it comes soon. Im going to be one car up.... :cool2:Sell it to make room for the Fleetwood. Use the proceeds for the further bribery of the Mrs. :p

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 01:02 PM
Sell it to make room for the Fleetwood. Use the proceeds for the further bribery of the Mrs. :p

Oh yeah, i can get £37k for it, which like ive said is about $66k. That should do it right? She'll be happy with that?
OR i could give her the BMW ;)

ReagansRollsRoyce
08-17-05, 01:05 PM

A rusted out Chrysler product of the 1982-1985 vintage should do the trick :devil:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 01:07 PM
A rusted out Chrysler product of the 1982-1985 vintage should do the trick :devil:

We didnt get Chrysler then :helpless:

IM thinking about a Austin Metro

Kev
08-17-05, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah, i can get £37k for it, which like ive said is about $66k. That should do it right? She'll be happy with that?
OR i could give her the BMW ;)That would only work if she likes the BMW! You don't have to give her the entire proceeds! Give her £3.4k and use the remaining £33.6k toward the purchase and import (if you can't find one there) of the Fleetwood. Anything left over can be put toward maintenance and other costs. A "Mad Money" fund!

No worries! :duck:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 01:17 PM
That would only work if she likes the BMW! You don't have to give her the entire proceeds! Give her £3.4k and use the remaining £33.6k toward the purchase and import (if you can't find one there) of the Fleetwood. Anything left over can be put toward maintenance and other costs. A "Mad Money" fund!

No worries! :duck:

She did like the BMW when i drove it. She liked the fact that she could get the dog in the back to take him to the beach.

I already have some money aside for the Fleetwood :sneaky: its left over from when i bought the Phaeton, there should be enough to buy the fleetwood, then build a new 6 stall garage to keep the rest of my ungaraged cars in :sneaky:

Kev
08-17-05, 01:43 PM
She did like the BMW when i drove it. She liked the fact that she could get the dog in the back to take him to the beach.

I already have some money aside for the Fleetwood :sneaky: its left over from when i bought the Phaeton, there should be enough to buy the fleetwood, then build a new 6 stall garage to keep the rest of my ungaraged cars in :sneaky:Sounds like you're in pretty good shape there buddy!
Now, looking ahead, you might want to consider a mechanical rack system in that new garage so that you can accomodate two vehicles in each stall thereby having a twelve car capacity! A friend of mine told me about a system his brother-in-law had in his barn to store his classis car collection. The system held multiple cars in at least two levels and could lift the cars up and down for use or storage. Kinda put me in mind of those sliding square puzzles.
Pretty neat!

It could be as simple as these (must get tall enough versions to allow a car beneath)

http://www.aclifts.com/images/lifts/AC4-50-front-up.jpg

And you could use them for servicing the cars if you got the itch! :D

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape there buddy!
Now, looking ahead, you might want to consider a mechanical rack system in that new garage so that you can accomodate two vehicles in each stall thereby having a twelve car capacity! A friend of mine told me about a system his brother-in-law had in his barn to store his classis car collection. The system held multiple cars in at least two levels and could lift the cars up and down for use or storage. Kinda put me in mind of those sliding square puzzles.
Pretty neat!

It could be as simple as these (must get tall enough versions to allow a car beneath)

http://www.aclifts.com/images/lifts/AC4-50-front-up.jpg

And you could use them for servicing the cars if you got the itch! :D

Wow! Thats great! I want one (or 6 :sneaky:) i wonder how much it would cost....

Thats a great idea! My wife wont complain about having loads of cars all over the driveway. In fact, there may be room in my existing garage too. Any ideas how much they cost?

Kev
08-17-05, 02:16 PM
Wow! Thats great! I want one (or 6 :sneaky:) i wonder how much it would cost....

Thats a great idea! My wife wont complain about having loads of cars all over the driveway. In fact, there may be room in my existing garage too. Any ideas how much they cost?Here's a link to the site that I got the pic from.
http://www.aclifts.com/AutoLifts/4post.asp

This page shows parking lifts, (better)
http://www.aclifts.com/parking/

It's an American company and you have to "call for a quote". These types of lifts are popular at muffler shops here in the states. Have you seen them in the UK?

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 02:18 PM
Here's a link to the site that I got the pic from.
http://www.aclifts.com/AutoLifts/4post.asp

This page shows parking lifts, (better)
http://www.aclifts.com/parking/

It's an American company and you have to "call for a quote". These types of lifts are popular at muffler shops here in the states. Have you seen them in the UK?

Yeah sam kind of places, quick fit etc. Ill talk to my dealer friend, he has a workshop and im sure it has some of those...

IM seriously interested in something like that, it would greatly benefit me :D

deskjockey
08-17-05, 02:58 PM
Hi! Of course I don't know all the details but I have a couple cents woth

1) if the dude is 25, same age as me, tell him to get his own car
2) honestly, not being funny, I and about every other red-blooded male I know speeds, it'll be okay, of course irresponsible, granted however, this patience comes with time.

He'll be okay wether you give him a caddy or not, but it ain't worth peeling paint.

Kev
08-17-05, 02:58 PM
Yeah sam kind of places, quick fit etc. Ill talk to my dealer friend, he has a workshop and im sure it has some of those...

IM seriously interested in something like that, it would greatly benefit me :DCheck these guys out;

http://www.maywoodgroup.co.uk/Vehiclelifts/SearchResult.aspx?categoryID=10

http://www.autoliftuk.com/autolift.php?page=auto

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 03:13 PM
Hi! Of course I don't know all the details but I have a couple cents woth

1) if the dude is 25, same age as me, tell him to get his own car
2) honestly, not being funny, I and about every other red-blooded male I know speeds, it'll be okay, of course irresponsible, granted however, this patience comes with time.

He'll be okay wether you give him a caddy or not, but it ain't worth peeling paint.

The reason he is driving the BMW is because i had no use for it, and since i only bought it in June when my 97 got stolen, i didnt want to sell it straight away.

I really can accept that he speeds, we all do, but it was the place that took me. Basically he will lose the car, and im sure my wife can make use of it anyway.

Thanks for those sites Kev, i'll have a good look at those, and i will also talk to my dealer friend, ive just had a brainwave, I can use those at the office! :thumbsup:

Armano
08-17-05, 03:15 PM
I imagine we have all done 54 in a 30 at some point. I have and I still have the ticket to prove it (albeit years ago).

I would call that a poor decision or lack of judgment on your son's part. I personally would not tell my son I do not trust him in this instance as that carries a heavy weight when you hear that from your Dad. I NEVER want to hear my Dad (who is 82 and counting) tell me that.

I WOULD explain to my son that there are consequences to poor decisions, which we all make. Fortunately, his consequences may only be giving up the car for an extended period - when the consequences could easily have been deadly and permanent for someone.

Then give him a hug.

deskjockey
08-17-05, 03:20 PM
brothers don't shake hands....brothers gotta HUUUUUUG!

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 03:22 PM
I imagine we have all done 54 in a 30 at some point. I have and I still have the ticket to prove it (albeit years ago).

I would call that a poor decision or lack of judgment on your son's part. I personally would not tell my son I do not trust him in this instance as that carries a heavy weight when you hear that from your Dad. I NEVER want to hear my Dad (who is 82 and counting) tell me that.

I WOULD explain to my son that there are consequences to poor decisions, which we all make. Fortunately, his consequences may only be giving up the car for an extended period - when the consequences could easily have been deadly and permanent for someone.

Then give him a hug.

I do trust him, just not with my BMW any more. I wouldnt tell him i didnt trust him, i am however disappointed.

Kev
08-17-05, 03:27 PM
The reason he is driving the BMW is because i had no use for it, and since i only bought it in June when my 97 got stolen, i didnt want to sell it straight away.

I really can accept that he speeds, we all do, but it was the place that took me. Basically he will lose the car, and im sure my wife can make use of it anyway.

Thanks for those sites Kev, i'll have a good look at those, and i will also talk to my dealer friend, ive just had a brainwave, I can use those at the office! :thumbsup:That's OK Mac! No thanks necessary, cash or money order will do fine! :D

:duck:

(McCombie; "Yeah, right!") :kick: (Kev;"Ooooofffh!.........)

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 03:29 PM
That's OK Mac! No thanks necessary, cash or money order will do fine! :D

:duck:

(McCombie; "Yeah, right!") :kick: (Kev;"Ooooofffh!.........)

Hmmmm how does an '04 BMW 545i Touring sound? Only 5,600 miles! Yours for £30,000 :D

illumina
08-17-05, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm how does an '04 BMW 545i Touring sound? Only 5,600 miles! Yours for £30,000 :D

Tell you what, if you can loan me 30K pounds, I will be more than happy to buy the Bimmer from you :D

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 03:57 PM
Tell you what, if you can loan me 30K pounds, I will be more than happy to buy the Bimmer from you :D

Hahaha! :histeric: was a special offer to kev ;) Its worth £37k :D

And of course i'll loan you it, would you also like the deeds to my house and all of my car keys?

newvie
08-17-05, 04:00 PM
I'm sure that your real concern is for your son's safety and the safety of others.

I suggest that you show him this thread.

My message to your son is this -- I was probably just like him until 5 years ago. At that point I became the father of triplet boys. I own a CTS-V and totally get the allure of driving faster than one should. However, we all know that there is a significant statistical probability that one of my boys will be injured or killed in a car accident once they are of driving age. I literally have nightmares about this. Therefore, please take it slow!

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 04:02 PM
I'm sure that your real concern is for your son's safety and the safety of others.

I suggest that you show him this thread.

My message to your son is this -- I was probably just like him until 5 years ago. At that point I became the father of triplet boys. I own a CTS-V and totally get the allure of driving faster than one should. However, we all know that there is a significant statistical probability that one of my boys will be injured or killed in a car accident once they are of driving age. I literally have nightmares about this. Therefore, please take it slow!

Ill be showing him, thanks to everyone for the support. The death of a child is worse than the death of any other person, young or old, and he could of very nearly caused this :nono:

markmaine
08-17-05, 04:08 PM
Okay, so you think that's bad? My son is going to college in Cleveland and as he was doing his co-op we drove him out in January and left him my old Jeep. In March, my wife and I are vacationing in the Caribbean and he calls saying that he's okay, but the Jeep is totaled! This one wasn't his fault. One week later he was stopped for speeding and had to pay a $90 fine! I made him deal with that one. I flew out to get him squared away 2 weeks later and bought him a beautiful '01 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. 3 weeks later he calls to tell me that he blew out a tire on a pot hole, close to where the first accident happened. So the guy is having a string of back luck which was about to get worse! A week after the tire incident he totaled the Sebring! This one was possibly his fault and the insurance company faulted him, but he wasn't fined as he appeared in court to fight the ticket (running a red light) and the officer never showed up. At that point I drove my Mom's '94 Deville out to him. After a couple of days it wouldn't start. Between May and the first week of August I spent over $700 to keep it running and now she's running great. That $700 is above and beyond the $5000 I spent the last year on her! Well now my son is home for a week, we're selling the Caddy and he won't be having a vehicle in the fall. Punishment, hell no, but he learned a great lesson. After getting the speeding ticket he never went over the speed limit as even I saw on the drive back home with him this past weekend.

The point of this story......Make the kid feel as guilty as possible, make him face up for the speeding ticket and pray that he's learn a life-lesson.

Mark

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 04:11 PM
Okay, so you think that's bad? My son is go.......

Mark

TWO?!?!?! TWO TOTALLED CARS!?!?!?!
That is unlucky

Glad your son is okay though.

cguthrie
08-17-05, 04:18 PM
Mcombie,

As others have stated, it may be time to set your son free and have him responsible for his own transportation.

Given that he's young and human, and driving one of the best high performance sedans in the world, it's not unrealistic that he would accidently exceed the speed limit by that amount.

My father, perhaps not as good an example as you, but still driving at 83 w/no accidents, would say to my mother after picking up a speeding ticket on multiple family vacations, "our car tends to glide fast..."

Because of my memories of my Dad's tickets, I and while not being a saint in any means, I always get down to the limit when entering residential zones, small towns, etc., based on my also purchasing cars that tend to "glide fast"!

Anyway, cherish your son, I've been to too many funerals lately and at least he's in a safe ride, and not on a bike, which if he's addicted to the speed and short on cash he may turn to next.

You're subject line seems a bit strong, from my perspective. He's probably the most important thing in your life. I know mine is!

Good luck!

CG
99STS 116K

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 04:26 PM
Mcombie,

As others have stated, it may be time to set your son free and have him responsible for his own transportation.

Given that he's young and human, and driving one of the best high performance sedans in the world, it's not unrealistic that he would accidently exceed the speed limit by that amount.

My father, perhaps not as good an example as you, but still driving at 83 w/no accidents, would say to my mother after picking up a speeding ticket on multiple family vacations, "our car tends to glide fast..."

Because of my memories of my Dad's tickets, I and while not being a saint in any means, I always get down to the limit when entering residential zones, small towns, etc., based on my also purchasing cars that tend to "glide fast"!

Anyway, cherish your son, I've been to too many funerals lately and at least he's in a safe ride, and not on a bike, which if he's addicted to the speed and short on cash he may turn to next.

You're subject line seems a bit strong, from my perspective. He's probably the most important thing in your life. I know mine is!

Good luck!

CG
99STS 116K

Thankfully, he shares my view on bikes: "you cant get knocked off a car"

The only reason im being harsh is because i care, my dad was harsh on me for doing such things, i once spun his E-Type in the wet, and i thought nobody saw so i drove it home, the next day he was stading there with both sets of keys saying his drinking buddy had seen me adn he was annoyed i didnt tell him.

Maybe its my own fault for letting him drive it. It looks as if there was a chronic error of judgement on my part.

addison_ii
08-17-05, 04:27 PM
MC5, I have did the exact same thing before. I was going 62 in a 30. It wasn't residential though. Sometimes we get a vibe(whether from a song, present mood, etc)and we just drive faster. Not saying that it is ok however. I agree that he should take responsibility for the speeding ticket and whatever consequences you may impose. As a side point: it may have been the girlfriend driving. But if in fact it was your son, as you and others stated, calmly explain to him what his actions caused, impose any restrictions you have, and suggest that he make up the difference between your current premium and the adjusted rate because of his negligence. That will definitely be a wake up call for him.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 04:31 PM
MC5, I have did the exact same thing before. I was going 62 in a 30. It wasn't residential though. Sometimes we get a vibe(whether from a song, present mood, etc)and we just drive faster. Not saying that it is ok however. I agree that he should take responsibility for the speeding ticket and whatever consequences you may impose. As a side point: it may have been the girlfriend driving. But if in fact it was your son, as you and others stated, calmly explain to him what his actions caused, impose any restrictions you have, and suggest that he make up the difference between your current premium and the adjusted rate because of his negligence. That will definitely be a wake up call for him.

Thanks for the suggestion, there is that outside chace it was his girlfriend, but i know she dislikes that car because its "too big" for her, she drives a BMW 116i normally so it intimidates her driving such a big wagon. Hopefully there shouldnt be an increase in the premium because he will be taken off the insurance.

I will reconsider my decision later on, but i will talk to him first, it seems fair to take away the car if he misuses it.

Kev
08-17-05, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, there is that outside chace it was his girlfriend, but i know she dislikes that car because its "too big" for her, she drives a BMW 116i normally so it intimidates her driving such a big wagon. Hopefully there shouldnt be an increase in the premium because he will be taken off the insurance.

I will reconsider my decision later on, but i will talk to him first, it seems fair to take away the car if he misuses it.Sleep on it.

berham1
08-17-05, 04:36 PM
I have a daughter. She got her 1st ticket going 55 in a 30 mph zone. Of course I raised H_ll. Two weeks leater she rear ended a Lincoln. 1 year to the day she got another ticket for going 56 in a 30 mph zone in the exact same area by the same cop and two weeks later she was in an accident.

7mg
08-17-05, 04:49 PM
Too bad his Mom did not find ticket first - she might have resolved situation for you...

Deftones1331
08-17-05, 04:53 PM

Thats how my first car was, a beautiful '79 Camaro, but it was a bit rickety, I didn't trust it on highways at all. I thank that car for my spotless driving record.

I did get pulled over once, for a rolling stop. Before giving me the written warning, the officer asked me if I need to turn my car off so it didn't overheat. I was a bit offended to say the least. That was before I turned 18, so my record is clean.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 04:59 PM
Too bad his Mom did not find ticket first - she might have resolved situation for you...

She may well of, but she usually exploades at such matters, shes in France though.....

Thank you to all who have given me advice on this, but whatever i do i will definately take the car back and have him removed from the insurance...

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 05:00 PM
Thats how my first car was, a beautiful '79 Camaro, but it was a bit rickety, I didn't trust it on highways at all. I thank that car for my spotless driving record.

I did get pulled over once, for a rolling stop. Before giving me the written warning, the officer asked me if I need to turn my car off so it didn't overheat. I was a bit offended to say the least. That was before I turned 18, so my record is clean.

:histeric: sorry, but i just thought the part about the overheating was rather funny!

7mg
08-17-05, 05:06 PM
By the time I was 25, I had been married for several years and my wife and I had purchased 3 cars. I had also been the proud recipient of a ticket for 65MPH in a 55 zone and tailgating (following too close). I was a bit close, but the car in front had seen the cop and hit the brakes, so when the cop saw me, I was really close. That ticket was not beneficial to my insurance premium!

chris85713
08-17-05, 05:08 PM
Although I tend to agree with taking the car away, and I'd even go along with requiring him to pay you back for the cost of the ticket, aren't we all sort of jumping the gun here, so to speak? We don't, at this point, even know for sure he was driving the car at the time of the ticket. It may well have been his lady driving. It might have been he was with a buddy and let the guy drive to check out the BMW.....

I would hold off deciding how to handle the situation until I was sure that he was actually driving because this DOES sound a bit out of character.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 05:21 PM
Although I tend to agree with taking the car away, and I'd even go along with requiring him to pay you back for the cost of the ticket, aren't we all sort of jumping the gun here, so to speak? We don't, at this point, even know for sure he was driving the car at the time of the ticket. It may well have been his lady driving. It might have been he was with a buddy and let the guy drive to check out the BMW.....

I would hold off deciding how to handle the situation until I was sure that he was actually driving because this DOES sound a bit out of character.

He would pay the ticket anyway, because the car was in his possesion at the time, i REALLY doubt it that his girlfriend was driving, because she dislikes driving that car alot, and she will not even drive my Vectra because its too big for her, let alone a BMW wagon, she was so terrified that she would prang it last time she dove it she was shaking, and secondly, i really would kill him if it was one of his friends driving it because they would not be insured......

Im pretty sure it was him driving, the area is about a quater of a mile from his house en route to mine, so its likely he was driving......

Kev
08-17-05, 05:25 PM

I would hold off deciding how to handle the situation until I was sure that he was actually driving because this DOES sound a bit out of character.I'm not sure how it works in the UK but as many of us here know, as registered owners we are liable for damages and injuries sustained by our vehicles regardles of the driver with the possible exception of grand theft. That said, if Mac's son allowed his girl friend or another friend to drive he is still culpable (at least to his father) and should have at least told the person to slow down immediately or pull over so that he might resume control of the car. In failing to do these things he not only risked life and limb within the vicinity of the speeding car but also placed himself and his father in a precarious position of potential liability (or, a PPoPL! :D).

Mac is doing the right thing in my opinion.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure how it works in the UK but as many of us here know, as registered owners we are liable for damages and injuries sustained by our vehicles regardles of the driver with the possible exception of grand theft. That said, if Mac's son allowed his girl friend or another friend to drive he is still culpable (at least to his father) and should have at least told the person to slow down immediately or pull over so that he might resume control of the car. In failing to do these things he not only risked life and limb within the vicinity of the speeding car but also placed himself and his father in a precarious position of potential liability (or, a PPoPL! :D).

Mac is doing the right thing in my opinion.

It is generally the driver who is responsible here, unless the car is at fault and then it becomes the owners responsibilty. Both my son and his girlfriend are insured to drive it, but none of his friends would be. If it was one of his pals andhe had an accident, the bill would be down to me to pay. It is against the law to drive uninsured here, and not only would the friend have been breaking the law, any bills would have to be paid by me as the registered keeper. HE should knownot to let his friends at it, because if he has my car has been involved in a crime....

Intheknow
08-17-05, 05:49 PM
My son hasn't seen my STS yet. He is in Iraq and won't be home until October. Before the STS I drove an Aurora and really liked it. While driving it he was rear-ended once and then another time backed into something. Both times the rear bumper skin had to be replaced. I might let him drive the STS once "just 'cause", but that's it. Even at age 24 I think it will be too much car for him. At his age I had a Corvette and it was WAY too much for me, though I didn't think so at the time. My STS is faster than my '70 Vette.

<blockquote>Which is a good thing because given his size, strength, and Marine training, I doubt I could choke him.</blockquote>

When my son graduated from MCRD at San Diego I told him that if he made me a grandfather before I turned 50 I would kick his a**. He said: What makes you think you can? I took that as a challenge and taught him a little lesson about fighting dirty. That was 4 years ago. I think he can take me now!

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 05:54 PM
As You Stated. You're Going To Give The Eldo To Your Younger Son Who Can Drive Next Year. I Hope He's Just Not Legal Driving Age (16). If He Is You Think You've Got Problems Now. Wait Until Then. Hopefully Your Younger Son Is Older Than 16

markmaine
08-17-05, 05:56 PM
TWO?!?!?! TWO TOTALLED CARS!?!?!?!
That is unlucky

Glad your son is okay though.

Yeh, a bit of tough luck, but a lot of growing up in a few months. I'm a bit harsh on him. Everytime I see a Sebring Convertible, I make sure that he knows that I once owned one for a month as both vehicles were in my name.:thepan:

Anyone interested in a '94 Deville? Asking $4999 with just under 75k miles. Runs great now, but she has a lot of dings and one of the tail lights is taped down as the screw connecter has broken off. Is this a fair price - opinions?

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 05:58 PM
My son hasn't seen my STS yet. He is in Iraq and won't be home until October. Before the STS I drove an Aurora and really liked it. While driving it he was rear-ended once and then another time backed into something. Both times the rear bumper skin had to be replaced. I might let him drive the STS once "just 'cause", but that's it. Even at age 24 I think it will be too much car for him. At his age I had a Corvette and it was WAY too much for me, though I didn't think so at the time. My STS is faster than my '70 Vette.

when i was his age i was driving a BMW 635i and a Vauxhall Carlton. I could handle these cars, i learned to drivein an E-Type Jaguar, so the BMW was a piece of cake. I didnt think that BMW was too much for him. HE learned in a 1977 Jaguar XJ6C, which i drove around in the early 90s, hes been driving my cars since he was 12..... so i thought i could trust him in that BMW

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:01 PM
I Was Refering To What You Were Saying About Giving Your Younger Son Your Eldo. I Hope He's Old Enough To Handle It. Not Just 16 & Getting His License

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 06:02 PM
As You Stated. You're Going To Give The Eldo To Your Younger Son Who Can Drive Next Year. I Hope He's Just Not Legal Driving Age (16). If He Is You Think You've Got Problems Now. Wait Until Then. Hopefully Your Younger Son Is Older Than 16

HEs 16 now, but he'll be 17 next year, he wont drive the Eldo much at first, i'll get him a corsa or somethign small to start in, but he wil slowly be able to drive the Eldo more and more until it is totally his. He has also been driving my cars since he was 12. HE learned in both my wifes vauxhall Astra 2.0 litre, andmy Lincoln TC, and has driven every car i owned since...

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:05 PM
Sounds Like You Live In A Rural Area Or In The Sticks. My Dad Taught Me How To Drive In Northern Mi. By Sitting On His Lap & Then By Slowing Progressing To Drive By Myself

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 06:08 PM
Sounds Like You Live In A Rural Area Or In The Sticks. My Dad Taught Me How To Drive In Northern Mi. By Sitting On His Lap & Then By Slowing Progressing To Drive By Myself

The area i live in is pretty rural, i live on one side of a large triangle formed by two back lanes and a newer two way road, at one corner is a roundabout, the other is an entrance to a piece of land i own, and the third is a junction from the back lane onto a semi main road, i tought them both to drive on there, then slowly allowed them to drive further, there is almost no traffic so its pretty safe..

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:12 PM
Cool We Grew Up In The City & Got Our Dad Driving Courses When We Went To Northern Mi. When My Kids Were Old Enough To Drive I Taught Them On The Back Roads Also. As They Lived In The Country With My Ex Wife.

Kev
08-17-05, 06:13 PM
Which is a good thing because given his size, strength, and Marine training, I doubt I could choke him.
When my son graduated from MCRD at San Diego I told him that if he made me a grandfather before I turned 50 I would kick his a**. He said: What makes you think you can? I took that as a challenge and taught him a little lesson about fighting dirty. That was 4 years ago. I think he can take me now!When I was becoming a young man my Dad told my brother and I; "You might become bigger than me but you will never be big enough!"
You know, he was right. I have long been physically bigger and stronger than he for some time now but because of my respect for him...... well, I'm not big enough.

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:14 PM
Just Got Home From Work. Gotta Chow. Nice To Voice My Oponions. Later Guys

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 06:16 PM
When I was becoming a young man my Dad told my brother and I; "You might become bigger than me but you will never be big enough!"
You know, he was right. I have long been physically bigger and stronger than he for some time now but because of my respect for him...... well, I'm not big enough.

I wouldnt tackle my dad at all. Hes an ex real wrestler, local hardman, and top of his class for his age, won many competitions, and is still lifting at 78! I dont know figures though, will try and find out. Not a man to be messed with.

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:19 PM
Speaking About Wrestlers. Remember George The Animal Steele? Biting The Turn Buckles With His Green Tongue. He Grew Up In My Home Town & Was My Gym, Football & Wrestling Coach In High School. Madison Hgts Mi.

caddieboy
08-17-05, 06:32 PM
-The only reason he ended up with the BMW is because i saw the way he looked after his Corsa and his Rover Gta.

-He kept this car very well, there is not a scratch on it, he has owned it from new, and it has only got 21k on the clock.

-Ive never once seen or heard of him driving dangerously. This is out of character.

I have a boss who micro-manages and accuses me of unacceptable performance from time to time. Every single time, it's an accusation. And every time, it's been shown to be someone else's fault. I wish to god she would ask questions rather than concluding without trying to find out what whent wrong. She predicts too much before finding out the facts and ends up looking like a horse's you-know-what.

Your son has kept his cars very well. You say this is out of character for him.

Here's what I would do.

First, I'd show him the fine and ask him to explain what happened. I'd then ask him how he feels about this incident. Then I'd ask him what he would do if he were in my shoes. If it falls short of taking him off your insurance and giving back the car, I'd ask why I shouldn't. I'd ask him if his behavior was acceptable. I'd ask him to explain why it was unacceptable. I'd ask him how he'd feel if he had damaged the car or injured or killed a person.

All this can be done in a calm manner. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Yelling and getting angry doesn't solve anything. Discussions do. I think a calm discussion will allow you to see your sons reaction and whether or not he's genuinely sorry if he was the one at fault for speeding.

I'd then explain that I would take him off my insurance. I'd ask him for the keys, hold them up, and tell him "I don't want to be this disappointed in you again, ever." Then I'd hand the keys back to him and have him promise he'll never do anything so stupid again. I'd keep it all between us after than and never mention it again.

rlg999
08-17-05, 06:39 PM
You stupid twit. Just listen to you. "I'm going to kill my Son" is a little heavy-handed don't you think? Judging by the rides in your stable you have more money than brains. Has this kid ever worked for anything? What kind of mixed messages are you sending by advocating that it's OK to speed on the open road but not in other places? Some day you'll be burying this kid and then you won't think it's so damn funny.

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 06:40 PM
I have a boss who micro-manages and accuses me of unacceptable performance from time to time. Every single time, it's an accusation. And every time, it's been shown to be someone else's fault. I wish to god she would ask questions rather than concluding without trying to find out what whent wrong. She predicts too much before finding out the facts and ends up looking like a horse's you-know-what.

Your son has kept his cars very well. You say this is out of character for him.

Here's what I would do.

First, I'd show him the fine and ask him to explain what happened. I'd then ask him how he feels about this incident. Then I'd ask him what he would do if he were in my shoes. If it falls short of taking him off your insurance and giving back the car, I'd ask why I shouldn't. I'd ask him if his behavior was acceptable. I'd ask him to explain why it was unacceptable. I'd ask him how he'd feel if he had damaged the car or injured or killed a person.

All this can be done in a calm manner. Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Yelling and getting angry doesn't solve anything. Discussions do. I think a calm discussion will allow you to see your sons reaction and whether or not he's genuinely sorry if he was the one at fault for speeding.

I'd then explain that I would take him off my insurance. I'd ask him for the keys, hold them up, and tell him "I don't want to be this disappointed in you again, ever." Then I'd hand the keys back to him and have him promise he'll never do anything so stupid again. I'd keep it all between us after than and never mention it again.

That is a very good suggestion, most of it id already planned, excpet the part about handing back the keys, i really have lost my confidence in him with this car, had it been 40, i would have reconsidered, but it was nearly twice the speed limit, and furthermore how often will he drive my car that fast in a residential area where there arent speed cameras? It worries me terribly. i might take back the keys and tell him that ive taken him off my insurance, and if i feel i can trust him in a few months i will return him his car. For now i really dont want him diving it at all. I will of course ask him these questions, and also make sure it was him who was driving.

Unfortunately my wife will find out about this, because the BMW will be making its return to our house in place of the Corsa. I dont really want to take the kids pride and joy away, and he is the envy of his pals owning it, but he will have to learn....

Kev
08-17-05, 06:44 PM
You stupid twit. Just listen to you. "I'm going to kill my Son" is a little heavy-handed don't you think? Judging by the rides in your stable you have more money than brains. Has this kid ever worked for anything? What kind of mixed messages are you sending by advocating that it's OK to speed on the open road but not in other places? Some day you'll be burying this kid and then you won't think it's so damn funny.Not the best example for a first post. Very poor choice in my opinion. If this were my house and someone new came in railing on one of my friends I'd throw him out on his ear before he knew what happened. :nono:

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 06:48 PM
You stupid twit. Just listen to you. "I'm going to kill my Son" is a little heavy-handed don't you think? Judging by the rides in your stable you have more money than brains. Has this kid ever worked for anything? What kind of mixed messages are you sending by advocating that it's OK to speed on the open road but not in other places? Some day you'll be burying this kid and then you won't think it's so damn funny.

IF you think I am a "twit" you are entitled to your opinion. I chose to keep my opinion of you to myself.

The title of the thread is harsh i admit, but when i posted it i was very angry and disappointed at him. More money than brains? To make my kind of money you need to have brains.

I do believe the speed laws in the UK are very dated, they were enforced in the 1960s and havent changed since, we now have cars on the roads that can safely do 140mph in the right circumstances. I believe the limit on the motorway should be raised, it works on the autobahns in Germany. I also believe the speed limit in residential areas should be lowered to 20 mph.

My son has worked since he was 16, he wouldnt be getting gifts such as a BMW if he hadnt. He is currently at university. I give him things such as the BMW because i feel i can usually trust him, and I earn my money, so why shouldnt i spend it on my family.

Burying him? This is the first time ive seen such irresposible behaviour from him. Like i say it is out of character, which is the reason i was angry.

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 06:51 PM
My Sentiments Exactly Kev

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 07:02 PM
A Lil Off The Auto Beat But Do You Know Anyone(maybe Your 16 Yr Old) That Would Like To Buy A Uk Version Super Metroid Game For Super Nintendo? My 12 Yr Old Bought It Off Ebay & They Didn't Tell Him It Was The Uk Version & Won't Work In His System. Maybe Your Neices Or Nephews Could Use It. I Know Someone Will Say Sell It On Ebay But I Haven't Done That Yet. Have Bought Alot Off Ebay But Never Sold Anything. Don't Know Anything About It

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 07:06 PM
A Lil Off The Auto Beat But Do You Know Anyone(maybe Your 16 Yr Old) That Would Like To Buy A Uk Version Super Metroid Game For Super Nintendo? My 12 Yr Old Bought It Off Ebay & They Didn't Tell Him It Was The Uk Version & Won't Work In His System. Maybe Your Neices Or Nephews Could Use It. I Know Someone Will Say Sell It On Ebay But I Haven't Done That Yet. Have Bought Alot Off Ebay But Never Sold Anything. Don't Know Anything About It

Hmmm super nintendo. I dont think we have that....
PS2, Xbox, Gamcube that kind of thing, Im sure we gave our Snen away to a charity shop.....
Sorry i cant help you

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 07:10 PM
Thanks Anyway. You Said Your Dad Was An Ex Real Wrestler. Did You See My Thread That Asked If You Remember George The Animal Steele. Biting The Turn Buckles With His Green Tongue. He Was My Wrestling ,football Coach & Gym Teacher Back In High School. I Know You Guys Should Get Wwe & Wwf In England

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 07:14 PM
Thanks Anyway. You Said Your Dad Was An Ex Real Wrestler. Did You See My Thread That Asked If You Remember George The Animal Steele. Biting The Turn Buckles With His Green Tongue. He Was My Wrestling ,football Coach & Gym Teacher Back In High School. I Know You Guys Should Get Wwe & Wwf In England

That namedoesnt ring a bell with me pardon the pun, but my kids both liked the WWE WWF thing, ill speak to the younger one in the morning.

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 07:24 PM
He's An Older Wrestler. Started Back Like In 62. He Has Made Appearances On Wwe & Wwf. Back When Randy Macho Man Savage Was Still With Miss Elizabeth. Your Older Son Might Know Who He Is. Bald Head, Real Hairy, Green Tongue. Used To Bite Holes In The Turn Buckles & Throw All The Stuffing All Over The Ring. He Would Always Carry Around A Toy Monkey & Pet It & Keep Repeating Nice, Nice, Nice, Nice

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 07:25 PM
He's An Older Wrestler. Started Back Like In 62. He Has Made Appearances On Wwe & Wwf. Back When Randy Macho Man Savage Was Still With Miss Elizabeth. Your Older Son Might Know Who He Is. Bald Head, Real Hairy, Green Tongue. Used To Bite Holes In The Turn Buckles & Throw All The Stuffing All Over The Ring. He Would Always Carry Around A Toy Monkey & Pet It & Keep Repeating Nice, Nice, Nice, Nice

Sounds like a fruit.
My dad wasnt like that....he just kicked the crap out of everyone. me included in the ring...

#1backyard mechanic
08-17-05, 07:31 PM
He Was But He Was Cool At The Same Time. Lol Good Talking To Ya. Just Got Home. Gotta Chow

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 08:48 PM
Will post an update on the situation tomorrow, what he said etc. Hopefully it wont come to blows :sneaky:

Joking aside, wish me luck: on this and that im going to ask my wife about the fleetwood tomorrow. :D :bomb:

illumina
08-17-05, 10:21 PM
Hahaha! :histeric: was a special offer to kev ;) Its worth £37k :D

And of course i'll loan you it, would you also like the deeds to my house and all of my car keys?

Hell, why not? I could always use some extra cars, but the move to the U.K. might be a bit taxing...I'll have to think about that one.

Oh, and I take it the cars are right-handed? Man, I may have to pass on the deal all together :helpless:

illumina
08-17-05, 10:27 PM

What in the Hell? Man, do us a favor and don't post anything like this again. We at the Cadillac forums participate in friendly, kind-hearted discussion not only in the lounge, but in every other forum as the most of us who post on a regular basis are on friendly terms with each other. Remember this in your next post and take it easy.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 04:37 AM
Oh, and I take it the cars are right-handed? Man, I may have to pass on the deal all together :helpless:

Let me see....

The Deville and ESV are both LHD
The rest are RHD.

What in the Hell? Man, do us a favor and don't post anything like this again. We at the Cadillac forums participate in friendly, kind-hearted discussion not only in the lounge, but in every other forum as the most of us who post on a regular basis are on friendly terms with each other. Remember this in your next post and take it easy.

Amen

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 04:58 AM
Update:

IT was definately my son driving

He is round here at my house now. I asked him why I had a speeding fine, he couldnt give me an answer, i asked him why he was speeding in that area, again, no answer. I asked him if it was a regular occurance, he said it wasnt.
I asked him what he would do if he were me, he said "something quite drastic" I asked him if he thought i should remove the car, he said "its your car, i cant stop you removing it, maybe its for the best that you do, at least for now" I made my point clear that he could of hit a child, and in the main, he seemed sorry.

So he knows he did wrong, he knows he broke my trust and he is going to be in his Corsa for the next few months. I made it clear that this incident has disappointed me, and i showed him this thread just now. I think it made him see sence.

We are on good terms, but his mother will likely bring this back up when she finds out

Boombotz
08-18-05, 07:27 AM
Well at least he steped up to the plate and knew he was wrong. It seems like even though your kid did something stupid without thinking(like we all have):banghead: . He understood there would be consequences and took them like a man. That says a lot about how good of a job you and your wife have done raising your children. Don't worry about people like that rlg999 it sounds like there is a jealousy issue there maybe on more than one part. You did forget to update ud on one part we all know your son has lost the car, but is he going to have to pay for his own insurance now or atleast the increase? I think this is important so thats why I am asking. Well if your son is reading this thread my advice to him is THINK, think, and think before you act it will be in your best intrest:histeric: . Well MC, I'm glad it all went OK on your side and that he wasn't there when you first found out:highfive: .

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 07:53 AM
Well at least he steped up to the plate and knew he was wrong. It seems like even though your kid did something stupid without thinking(like we all have):banghead: . He understood there would be consequences and took them like a man. That says a lot about how good of a job you and your wife have done raising your children. Don't worry about people like that rlg999 it sounds like there is a jealousy issue there maybe on more than one part. You did forget to update ud on one part we all know your son has lost the car, but is he going to have to pay for his own insurance now or atleast the increase? I think this is important so thats why I am asking. Well if your son is reading this thread my advice to him is THINK, think, and think before you act it will be in your best intrest:histeric: . Well MC, I'm glad it all went OK on your side and that he wasn't there when you first found out:highfive: .

Well, i have told him he has been removed from my insurance on the BMW, but he has not, because he will be back driving it in a few months, so i will pay that increase, as for his own insurance, on the Corsa, that will go up, and he will be payung all of it, along with the fine. WHich isnt that much, but its a dent in his pride, three points will also be put on his license. 12 and youre banned......

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind thoughts.

Boombotz
08-18-05, 07:54 AM
Well, i have told him he has been removed from my insurance on the BMW, but he has not, because he will be back driving it in a few months, so i will pay that increase, as for his own insurance, on the Corsa, that will go up, and he will be payung all of it, along with the fine. WHich isnt that much, but its a dent in his pride, three points will also be put on his license. 12 and youre banned......

Thanks to everyone for the advice and kind thoughts.

Can he take a class there and have the points removed. Here in America they offer a defensive driving course.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 07:56 AM
Can he take a class there and have the points removed. Here in America they offer a defensive driving course.

Not that i know of. They were thhinking about it but it didnt go through, they stay on his license for a few years, and are removed if no further offencesare commited

AirJigga25
08-18-05, 10:26 AM
ok he got caught speeding, maybe he was in a hurry :halo: . I wouldn't think it was a big deal normally, but since he got the ticket on your insurance it IS a big deal. I've been paying my own insurance since 16 and been on my own policy since I was 19. I made it to 25 and have seen a few speeding tickets in my day. Put him on his own insurance in his own car and say...have fun, good luck.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 10:36 AM
ok he got caught speeding, maybe he was in a hurry :halo: . I wouldn't think it was a big deal normally, but since he got the ticket on your insurance it IS a big deal. I've been paying my own insurance since 16 and been on my own policy since I was 19. I made it to 25 and have seen a few speeding tickets in my day. Put him on his own insurance in his own car and say...have fun, good luck.

well he has his own insurance on the corsa, which is his own car, but he was a named driver on my BMW, so it will go up. Id like him to drive the BMW, but he will not get his own policy to cover him on such an expensive car, so he has to go on mine......

IM glad he tok the repercusions well, and hopefully he should be back behind the wheel of the 545 soon. When i feel i can trust him in it again.

Kev
08-18-05, 12:08 PM
All's well that ends well. Be sure to tune in next week boys and girls, as the saga continues; "The Return of Mrs. M!" where we find that young Master McCombie is not out of the woods just yet! Will he survive the onslought? What will she do to her husband when he finaly tells her the story?!
Oh, the suspense is KILLING ME!!!

This program brought to you by Frosty Flakies.
"That's right kids, Frosty Flakies are the crunchiest flakes around. Be sure to ask Mom for Frosty Flakies, available at most grocers! And don't forget, there's a Super Secret Decoder Ring hidden in each box. Why it's so secret, we don't know what it's used to decode! But that's OK, it's hidden so well, you'll probably never find it anyway!"

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 12:27 PM
All's well that ends well. Be sure to tune in next week boys and girls, as the saga continues; "The Return of Mrs. M!" where we find that young Master McCombie is not out of the woods just yet! Will he survive the onslought? What will she do to her husband when he finaly tells her the story?!
Oh, the suspense is KILLING ME!!!

This program brought to you by Frosty Flakies.
"That's right kids, Frosty Flakies are the crunchiest flakes around. Be sure to ask Mom for Frosty Flakies, available at most grocers! And don't forget, there's a Super Secret Decoder Ring hidden in each box. Why it's so secret, we don't know what it's used to decode! But that's OK, it's hidden so well, you'll probably never find it anyway!"

Shes back. I havent told her yet. Im thinking about slotting the BMW in at the far end of the garage, and parking her car next to the door to the house. I wonder if it will work, what do you think?

BTW she said yes to the Fleetwood.

AND i want Frosty Flakies!

Kev
08-18-05, 01:01 PM
Shes back. I havent told her yet. Im thinking about slotting the BMW in at the far end of the garage, and parking her car next to the door to the house. I wonder if it will work, what do you think?

BTW she said yes to the Fleetwood.

AND i want Frosty Flakies!I think you should come clean as soon as possible. Right now your son is in the 'Hot Seat', if you hold out on your wife won't you be putting yourself on the 'Hot Seat' too? The sooner you tell her the sooner she'll cool down, but if you wait you might be increasing the "Anger Factor".

Just a thought....

I dunno.........

Kev
08-18-05, 01:05 PM
Added thought;

You might approach it like;

"Honey, here is what happened, I've delt with the lad and have taken care of it. No need for you to worry about it, it's settled, I just wanted to let you know."

Or something to that affect.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 01:22 PM
Added thought;

"Honey, here is what happened, I've delt with the lad and have taken care of it. No need for you to worry about it, it's settled, I just wanted to let you know."

THe lads just gone to get that Eldo from the guy for me, ive just told my wife, and she seems to think i did a good enough job. She agrees with me about takingback the BMW for now. All is well in the McCombie household right now...

Kev
08-18-05, 01:38 PM
THe lads just gone to get that Eldo from the guy for me, ive just told my wife, and she seems to think i did a good enough job. She agrees with me about takingback the BMW for now. All is well in the McCombie household right now...A relief for all. Good job man!

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 01:54 PM
A relief for all. Good job man!

Why thank you. I really did expect mrs mc to go kabooooooom :bomb: but she kept her cool. i think it was the necklace that did it;)

addison_ii
08-18-05, 10:10 PM
MC5 , glad to hear all went well. Right now you and Mrs. MC should be patting yourself on the back. You both have done a fine job in raising your kids. The evidence is in how your son took responsibility for his actions and accepted the consequences. I hope my kids show such a good reflection of my(and my wife's) parentage when the time comes. BTW congrats on the purchase of the Eldo. Nice job on convincing(ahem heavily persuading;) ) Mrs.MC into approving the Fleetwood purchase.

mccombie_5
08-18-05, 10:12 PM
MC5 , glad to hear all went well. Right now you and Mrs. MC should be patting yourself on the back. You both have done a fine job in raising your kids. The evidence is in how your son took responsibility for his actions and accepted the consequences. I hope my kids show such a good reflection of my(and my wife's) parentage when the time comes. BTW congrats on the purchase of the Eldo. Nice job on convincing(ahem heavily persuading;) ) Mrs.MC into approving the Fleetwood purchase.

Thank you for your kind words, im sure youre kids will grow up just great too.

Its all in the necklace my friend :lildevil: The fleetwood finding mission is on!

caddieboy
08-19-05, 12:03 AM
That is a very good suggestion, most of it id already planned, excpet the part about handing back the keys, i really have lost my confidence in him with this car, had it been 40, i would have reconsidered, but it was nearly twice the speed limit, and furthermore how often will he drive my car that fast in a residential area where there arent speed cameras? It worries me terribly. i might take back the keys and tell him that ive taken him off my insurance, and if i feel i can trust him in a few months i will return him his car. For now i really dont want him diving it at all. I will of course ask him these questions, and also make sure it was him who was driving.

Unfortunately my wife will find out about this, because the BMW will be making its return to our house in place of the Corsa. I dont really want to take the kids pride and joy away, and he is the envy of his pals owning it, but he will have to learn....

Ever read "The Social Contract" by Jean-Jacques Rousseau? Read the second half of Part II, The people. You may find a gem in there.

Nevertheless, how you deal with your son isn't anyone's business but yours. Hope it all goes well.

RBraczyk
08-19-05, 12:33 AM
Um, I've gone 120 in a 30, but it was an s2000 and nothing was around, so I made myself justify it.

Krashed989
08-19-05, 04:53 AM
Well if your son is reading this thead I'm going to tell him what my dad told me when I first started driving.

You are driving a bullet. Don't get carried away or you will get someone killed.

caddieboy
08-19-05, 03:18 PM
Added thought;

I have to agree with this. Your son already sat through the ordeal with you and he seemed remorseful. He agreed that something drastic ought to be done. Your son shouldn't have to deal with this time after time. It's like the movie "Office Space" where the guy has to deal with TPS reports complaints over and over again.

Let your wife know that there's nothing more to discuss.

caddieboy
08-19-05, 03:22 PM
Well if your son is reading this thead I'm going to tell him what my dad told me when I first started driving.

You are driving a bullet. Don't get carried away or you will get someone killed.

Also tell him that my friend's Uncle killed someone while driving to his sisters wedding. It's something he'll have to live with the rest of his life.

I never understood speeding myself. You don't get anywhere any faster. It may feel like you are, but realiztically, almost no time has been saved. If you're late, so be it. I'd rather be late and arrive alive.

Like Napoleon said "Go slow, I'm in a hurry!"

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 03:26 PM
Also tell him that my friend's Uncle killed someone while driving to his sisters wedding. It's something he'll have to live with the rest of his life.

I never understood speeding myself. You don't get anywhere any faster. It may feel like you are, but realiztically, almost no time has been saved. If you're late, so be it. I'd rather be late and arrive alive.

Like Napoleon said "Go slow, I'm in a hurry!"

Well, theres nothing wrong witha bit of speed now and then. Just not where its going to kill someone

caddieboy
08-19-05, 03:27 PM
Um, I've gone 120 in a 30, but it was an s2000 and nothing was around, so I made myself justify it.

I met a guy who drove his Corvette 90 in a 40. The cop who stopped him told him to get out of the car at gunpoint. :tisk:

Make yourself unjustify it, or go see a shrink and have him check your head. :histeric:

caddieboy
08-19-05, 03:36 PM
Well, theres nothing wrong witha bit of speed.Just not where its going to kill someone

Perhaps there's nothing wrong with a bit of speed now and then. Like I said, I personally don't see any advantage. I have friends who have heavy feet and they only ever get somewhere a few minutes faster. I often catch up and end up waiting for the same lights as them after the highway. Meanwhile I save gas and less hard on the car. But some people like the feel of going fast. To each their own.

Also, more people get killed in highway traffic accidents due to speeding than pedestrians getting hit by speeders in residential areas.

Here in Toronto Ontario, Canada, most streets with 30 limits have speed bumps every 50 yards to prevent people from going to fast.

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 03:45 PM
Perhaps there's nothing wrong with a bit of speed now and then. Like I said, I personally don't see any advantage. I have friends who have heavy feet and they only ever get somewhere a few minutes faster. I often catch up and end up waiting for the same lights as them after the highway. Meanwhile I save gas and less hard on the car. But some people like the feel of going fast. To each their own.

Also, more people get killed in highway traffic accidents due to speeding than pedestrians getting hit by speeders in residential areas.

Here in Toronto Ontario, Canada, most streets with 30 limits have speed bumps every 50 yards to prevent people from going to fast.

Speed bumbs here too, the vein of my suspension they are.

I have a long, straight, stretch of single track, that has no speed cameras on it. 170mph has been known :halo:

caddieboy
08-19-05, 06:13 PM
Speed bumbs here too, the vein of my suspension they are.

I have a long, straight, stretch of single track, that has no speed cameras on it. 170mph has been known :halo:

I hope they kill themselves before they kill someone else. I'll never understand the fascination with speed.

mccombie_5
08-19-05, 06:41 PM
I hope they kill themselves before they kill someone else. I'll never understand the fascination with speed.

I did 170 once, in a Lotus Carlton. It is overrated IMO. I wont go above 150. I would consider myself a safe driver, and although i would very likely die if i crashed at these speeds, crashing is unlikely. I have taken advanced courses, and none of this saturday afternoon in and out stuff. I am licensed to drive articulated lorries, Public Service Vehicles, and i also trained as a chauffeur a few years ago, when i was at University I did some work for my uncle who ran a limousine/haulage/local bus company, so i was trained accordingly.

JimHare
08-21-05, 01:01 AM
Why isn't your son paying his share of the car insurance now? That's the least I would expect of him - let him shoulder the financial cost. Also, maybe wouldn't hurt to take him down to the emergency room at the local hospital one Saturday evening and let him watch them bring in the accident victims.. He may be 25 but a few evenings watching the morgue van pull up and unloading, and seeing the families and victims of auto accidents up close and personal will severely alter his image, I assure you.

mccombie_5
08-21-05, 12:31 PM
Why isn't your son paying his share of the car insurance now? That's the least I would expect of him - let him shoulder the financial cost. Also, maybe wouldn't hurt to take him down to the emergency room at the local hospital one Saturday evening and let him watch them bring in the accident victims.. He may be 25 but a few evenings watching the morgue van pull up and unloading, and seeing the families and victims of auto accidents up close and personal will severely alter his image, I assure you.

I think he learned his lesson when i took the car away. He doesnt pay it because he never asked to be on it, i kinda half gave him the car as a gift....

Its like giving someone a VCR for a gift, then telling them they have to buy a cassette to play in it otherwise

Kev
08-21-05, 05:50 PM
I think he learned his lesson when i took the car away. He doesnt pay it because he never asked to be on it, i kinda half gave him the car as a gift....

Its like giving someone a VCR for a gift, then telling them they have to buy a cassette to play in it otherwiseI wouldn't use that analogy, by that you obligate yourself to buy or rent all of the tapes to play in the VCR. Apply that to a car and you obligate yourself to buy all of the gas to drive it with.

As his father you have every right to give him what you like in the form of gifts or loans and do not have to answer to anyone for it (with the possible exception of the Mrs.). In the case of the car and insurance, if the car is titled to you can give and you can take away. Same with the insurance, it's your policy, you can decide who you want on it and have them added or removed. The lad is no longer a lad at 25? His is of age and can obtain his own insurance as he has.

It sounds like he took your rebuff well. If he is doing well in University and staying out of trouble you have every right to be proud. There's nothing wrong with being a little spoiled now and then, I wish I was! As long as you have a healthy sense of value and appreciation, a good balance so to speak.

mccombie_5
08-21-05, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't use that analogy, by that you obligate yourself to buy or rent all of the tapes to play in the VCR. Apply that to a car and you obligate yourself to buy all of the gas to drive it with.

As his father you have every right to give him what you like in the form of gifts or loans and do not have to answer to anyone for it (with the possible exception of the Mrs.). In the case of the car and insurance, if the car is titled to you can give and you can take away. Same with the insurance, it's your policy, you can decide who you want on it and have them added or removed. The lad is no longer a lad at 25? His is of age and can obtain his own insurance as he has.

It sounds like he took your rebuff well. If he is doing well in University and staying out of trouble you have every right to be proud. There's nothing wrong with being a little spoiled now and then, I wish I was! As long as you have a healthy sense of value and appreciation, a good balance so to speak.

Hmmm yes, let me rephrase that "its like giving someone a VCR with no power cord"

I just payed the little extra that it was on my policy to have him on there. I get a good deal, as all of my cars are insured with the same company, as are the two company cars that my assistants have. I get a great deal on it so it doesnt cost me that much extra. Must get that Eldo insured too.

Basically he learned his lesson in this case, and im glad to pay the extra insurance if it means he isnt going to not learn and go write off his car and kill himself

red76conv
08-22-05, 09:51 PM
My son was merely helping me detail the car. Don't ask me how but he managed to put a 6" scratch along the rear 1/4 panel. He's a 2nd degree black belt - luckily I'm his instructor.

powerglide
08-23-05, 12:46 PM
Looks like I missed quite a thread....reminds me that I got photographed twice in a my 5 -series doing WAY over the limit on a backcoutry highway in Japan. The cops kept calling, I kept stalling till i moved back here.....I swear, THE CAR MADE ME DO IT!

titanluvr
08-25-05, 10:04 PM
thats what you get for letting a spoiled son drive a friggin luxury car....no offense. It's just kids that have that kind of high end accessability are usually screw-ups who should be driving a beat up Ford or Chevy pick-up. Let me guess, you pay his insurance?

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 05:45 AM
thats what you get for letting a spoiled son drive a friggin luxury car....no offense. It's just kids that have that kind of high end accessability are usually screw-ups who should be driving a beat up Ford or Chevy pick-up. Let me guess, you pay his insurance?

My kids are not spoiled :) they actually work for what i pay them and give them.

I gave him a first car, and it was a beaten up Rover 114 Gta, he paid the insurance on it, he saved his money and got a 2003 Corsa, he pays the insurance on that, i pay the insurance on the BMW because it is my car, and i had him put on to the policy, he didnt ask me for it, he was given it as a gift from my wife and I because he scored high markes on his interim tests at university.
He is working equally as hard as i did when i was studying,and i had a well paying job at the same time, he has a job, but it doesnt pay as much as the one i had at the time, so im just giving my son what i had, because he deserves it.

mccombie_6
08-26-05, 09:56 AM

My brother, sister and I are screw ups?

I like you too :)

Kev
08-26-05, 11:05 AM
thats what you get for letting a spoiled son drive a friggin luxury car....no offense. It's just kids that have that kind of high end accessability are usually screw-ups who should be driving a beat up Ford or Chevy pick-up. Let me guess, you pay his insurance?No offence my ***!!! :mad:

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 11:59 AM
No offence my ***!!! :mad:

Sigh, actually i quite like the way MC6 put it!

Kev
08-26-05, 12:16 PM
Sigh, actually i quite like the way MC6 put it!Yes, he was much more gentile than I. Kudos to him for it! :thumbsup:

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 12:20 PM
Yes, he was much more gentile than I. Kudos to him for it! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: its okay i liked your reply too, its nice to see theres someone on your side

He seems good at makinng subtle yet effective responses like that. He was on the debate team at school. He shlould be a politician :yup:

Kev
08-26-05, 12:29 PM
:thumbsup: its okay i liked your reply too, its nice to see theres someone on your side

He seems good at makinng subtle yet effective responses like that. He was on the debate team at school. He shlould be a politician :yup:Why not aim for Statesman instead? :yup:

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 12:36 PM
Why not aim for Statesman instead? :yup:

Hahaha! Yes maybe, he wants to go into the same line of work as me though...

Kev
08-26-05, 12:44 PM
Hahaha! Yes maybe, he wants to go into the same line of work as me though...Bully! :yup:

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 12:54 PM
Bully! :yup:

:shhh:
He wanted to i promise :halo:

Kev
08-26-05, 01:02 PM
:shhh:
He wanted to i promise :halo:That's bully as used by Teddy Roosevelt, not like bull****. It's a good thing!

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 01:13 PM
That's bully as used by Teddy Roosevelt, not like bull****. It's a good thing!

Oh i get it :yup:

way to confuse me Kev :thepan:

Kev
08-26-05, 01:59 PM
That is awesome if your son has the desire to follow in your career footsteps and join you in business. I suspect that may have been one of the reasons you started out on your own. I would love for one of my kids to work with me. I'd like to see my business grow to something I can pass on to them one day.

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 02:22 PM
That is awesome if your son has the desire to follow in your career footsteps and join you in business. I suspect that may have been one of the reasons you started out on your own. I would love for one of my kids to work with me. I'd like to see my business grow to something I can pass on to them one day.

It is one of the reasons i started on my own Kev, i wanted something to pass down to my sons, and it was alot of stress and less money working under someone. My older son is training to be an graphic designer, and my younger son wants to follow in my footsteps. I hope he does because it is something i would like to pass on, and he has already got a good grasp of the work involved, he produced a layout of our house that was accurate to the metre, and he has been producing layous just like his dad since he was about 10. He can effectively design buildings.
What is your profession Kev?

Kev
08-26-05, 02:42 PM
It is one of the reasons i started on my own Kev, i wanted something to pass down to my sons, and it was alot of stress and less money working under someone. My older son is training to be an graphic designer, and my younger son wants to follow in my footsteps. I hope he does because it is something i would like to pass on, and he has already got a good grasp of the work involved, he produced a layout of our house that was accurate to the metre, and he has been producing layous just like his dad since he was about 10. He can effectively design buildings.
What is your profession Kev?I am a Sheet Metal Worker. I've been in the trade since 1978, started at the ground level and below (I swept the shop and crawled under houses!). For the last 10 years I have been working in the position of Detailer which means that I draw shop drawings on CAD.

Just over three years ago I started my own business providing shop drawings for mechanical contractors. So, in a nut shell, I take the mechanical engineer's design drawings and redraw the HVAC to coordinate with structure and other disciplines. After approval by the design team the mechanical contractor fabricates and installs the duct and equipment from my drawings.

It's not horribly glamorous but it holds my interest and pays the bills ....... .. sometimes...... ... ...when my customers pay me........... .... ... .that reminds me, I need to make some phone calls...........

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 02:50 PM
It's not horribly glamorous but it holds my interest and pays the bills ....... .. sometimes...... ... ...when my customers pay me........... .... ... .that reminds me, I need to make some phone calls...........

Hahaha and some thumbs to break!

Well it sounds like quite a taxing job, but if its something you are happy in (and you must be to some degree to set up on your own) best of luck with it!!

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 05:15 PM
TEST

can i post?

Stoneage_Caddy
08-26-05, 09:31 PM
you theres something screwy going on , can you see me ?

mccombie_5
08-26-05, 09:45 PM
you theres something screwy going on , can you see me ?

I see you.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-26-05, 10:00 PM
well i guess the forums still work , just not well ....

96bigbody
09-01-05, 05:29 PM
I see you.

Mccombie - wanted to pm you with this but for some reason the system won't let me. I may be moving to the UK in the near future and wanted to run some questions by you about importing my 96 fleetwood, since it seems you may have some experience in that. Can you send me a quick note to jansen_ibm@hotmail.com so we can chat about it?

Thanks - JP

Kev
09-01-05, 05:32 PM
Mccombie - wanted to pm you with this but for some reason the system won't let me. I may be moving to the UK in the near future and wanted to run some questions by you about importing my 96 fleetwood, since it seems you may have some experience in that. Can you send me a quick note to jansen_ibm@hotmail.com so we can chat about it?

Thanks - JPJP, welcome to the forums! :welcome:

You won't be able to send or receive PM's until you have over 50 posts or (as I've been told) become a supporting member.

mccombie_5
09-01-05, 07:48 PM

Thanks - JP

Welcome also

msheri01
09-02-05, 02:14 AM
Mccombie-

At least he did not run into the rear of his significant other's mother's car in THEIR driveway like my daughter did. This while telling her she was getting too close, and to stop. Her boyfriends mother was very impressed with her convertible after the bumper was rearranged. Teenagers:thepan:

mccombie_5
09-02-05, 06:11 AM
Mccombie-

At least he did not run into the rear of his significant other's mother's car in THEIR driveway like my daughter did. This while telling her she was getting too close, and to stop. Her boyfriends mother was very impressed with her convertible after the bumper was rearranged. Teenagers:thepan:

Ouch!

Mother in Laws eh......

Jesda
02-02-06, 09:45 PM
So wait, is this thread a suicide threat?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-06, 09:49 PM
LOL very nice, very nice Jesda!

SpeedyArizona
02-02-06, 10:01 PM
Go easy on him.

THREAD CLOSED (from my perspective)

Night Wolf
02-02-06, 10:02 PM
Heh....

heh....

wow....

....damnit... I gotta say it after reading thru some of this, again...

this kid is a freakin genious in some right to not only come up wth this, but make it believeable.... but the level of typing, English and grammer used is far beyond anyone in thier teens.... even 20's....

I agree with the rest... get help, then channel that energy into something useful....

I wonder if his parents know about this... that would suck for someone to be able to find his phone number and stuff (its the internet... not that hard) and tell his dad or something, have him read these threads, heh.... like that kid from Pirate4x4 that tried to scam the gears and stuff....

Kev
02-02-06, 10:18 PM
So wait, is this thread a suicide threat?OK Jesda, that was funny but as you can see it is stirring up trouble don't you think?

Kev
02-02-06, 10:21 PM
I'm going to close this and any other old threads that are revived for the purpose of aggravating the issue. Let's move on from here OK guys and gals?

If you have further to say, start a new thread but let's try and be civil and stick to the rules.

Jesda
02-02-06, 11:47 PM
OK Jesda, that was funny but as you can see it is stirring up trouble don't you think?

I'm sorry, you're right. It was just too damn funny to pass up. :D