: New Caddy Owner!

BeaverDude2k
11-18-03, 02:51 AM
Hi Ya'll,
I joined the C-Forums about a week ago. I love this site. Theres so much information, and all the questions I have asked have actually been answered, and quickly! I have joined other forums of various types, and this is by far one of the best and most informative. I purchased my 1986 Fleetwood Brougham about 2 weeks ago at the "Capitol Auto Auction" in Manchester, NH. Great place to get deals on cars. I purchased my car for the amazing price of $35 plus a $35 buyers fee. Granted it needs some work. But hey this its an amazing piece of machinery for a poor college student. I have replaced the air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, wiper blades. Done some typical oiling of joints and replaced a few hoses. The only major component of the car that needs replacing is the muffler. I went to Pep Boys to get an estimate (I know I need to find a real mechanic). And they said it would cost around $700 dollars to replace!!! What a frickin rip off. Its just a muffler and 2 pipes! Mind you I'm never getting work done at Pep Boys. I have intalled mufflers in a few cars before, however no welding, just clamps. I figured a mechanic could do a more perminant solution, but for $700 dollars no way in hell. Anyone know a good Caddy mechanic in the Southern NH area? I also ordered a new MAP sensor from RockAuto.com. The diagnotics said It was running to high and I figured I mine as well replace it. Also anyone know if having no muffler would cause me to get bad gas milage? I'm getting about 8 mpg. Even for a cadillac this is way low I believe. Any way I could boost the milage, maybe get at least 15 mpg? Last night I installed Panasonic CD deck with MP3 capability and sirius radio ready. It rocks, andone who likes mp3's should buy a cd player that has MP3 capability. I can fit 150-200 songs on one CD!! I plan on replacing the stock speakers with something a little beefier. I'm not a big car audio nut, but I like my music loud. Anyone know any other sites with some good Brougham info? Also I just purchased a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham Shop manual from Ebay. I have the haynes manual, but I need some more detailed info. This is one of the most fun cars I have driven. I previously owned nothing but small 4cyl cars (ie: civic hatch, vw golf) and let me tell you, this things rides beautifully. I can cruise at 80 mph and it feels like I'm going 50. In my other vehicles, when you go 80 it feels like your going 80, wind noise, engine noise, you practically yell to the passangers, this ride is smooth and quiet (except for the lack of muffler). The only complaint I have is the low gas milage. Does anyone know if this car requires premium gas? I have been using regular, but will stop if the car is not meant to use it. Well thanks for reading my post. This site rocks!!!
-Nolan

elwesso
11-18-03, 04:42 PM
Welcome aboard.... Thanks for signing up :wave:

Im not sure if the 4100 requires (or deserves) premium.....

Bad muffler would almost INCREASE gas mileage.... But I doubt youll find any affects..... You should be getting better gas mileage, but right now you cant complain about anyhting on a $35 car!!! If it hasnt been knocking, I think youll be OK....

youll wanna do all the tuneup items, like plugs, wires. o2 sensors, etc, and you should be just fine...... How does the car run? Decent power???

Caddy_freak
11-18-03, 07:53 PM
Welcome aboard.... Thanks for signing up :wave:

Im not sure if the 4100 requires (or deserves) premium.....

Bad muffler would almost INCREASE gas mileage.... But I doubt youll find any affects..... You should be getting better gas mileage, but right now you cant complain about anyhting on a $35 car!!! If it hasnt been knocking, I think youll be OK....

youll wanna do all the tuneup items, like plugs, wires. o2 sensors, etc, and you should be just fine...... How does the car run? Decent power???
I was under the impression that the 86 fleetwood had a 307 Olds motor, not the HT 4100 ?

davesdeville
11-18-03, 07:58 PM
An 86 FWB should have the 307 as far as I know. Neither the ht4100 or the 307 should require premium.

elwesso
11-18-03, 09:25 PM
Very sorry.... I guess I need to check my sources!!

I now recall that the FW of that year DOES use the olds..... It was the deville/seville/eldorado that used the 4100.....

Ralph
11-22-03, 02:51 AM
Welcome Dude, gee, with a handle like that I figured you for another Canadian. :D

Caddy_freak
11-22-03, 10:53 PM
well, Caddy_freak is a Canadian who's been living in the US for 13 years.

( Dual citizenship ) :banana:

Ralph
11-23-03, 01:02 AM
well, Caddy_freak is a Canadian who's been living in the US for 13 years.

( Dual citizenship ) :banana:

Excellent, the best of both worlds. When I get my certification we would like to get dual citizenship and live there eventually. Maybe I can rent KC's garage and live with them for a while. :D

Caddy_freak
11-23-03, 01:54 AM
Well I read your info, say's you were born in 67. old enought to remeber the rock group Headpins!

My favorite band, even now after all these years.
Well rock the garage off it's foundation! :wacky:
there playing on December 31, in Pitt meadows BC. at the Pitt Meadows Hall.
Man I wish I had the money to go!:excited:

If I drove My Caddy up there could I sleep in your
garage on my way through?:histeric:

Ralph
11-23-03, 05:04 PM
Sorry, not a Headpins fan! Only have a parkade, but at least it's out of the elements. :crying: :crybaby: