: New car recommendations?

N0DIH
08-16-05, 03:15 PM
Well, my mom and dad are sick and tired of the Saturn they bought to pull behind the RV. Ok, it has great AC, else, it sucks. Mileage is only 25 mpg, even with me driving the same route my 91 got 23-25. And my 94 FWB gets around 19. Not worth the pain of such a smallish car and lack of power.

Well, they aren't going to spend huge $$. They have a 97 Deville now, but can't pull it (they are flat towing and won't risk the Deville). So towing flat is needed, but they may be selling the RV too.

They want more room like the Cadillac and 40 mpg. I know, dreaming....

My recommendations is a Buick Roadmaster, 94-96. Good power, they like RWD, and the Cadillac barely fits in the garage now, so the FWB like mine WON'T even come close!

GM cars only. 25-30 mpg highway is required. Buick RM fits the bill well. Something not too old, need reliability for sure.

Ideas?

mccombie_5
08-16-05, 03:20 PM
Well, my mom and dad are sick and tired of the Saturn they bought to pull behind the RV. Ok, it has great AC, else, it sucks. Mileage is only 25 mpg, even with me driving the same route my 91 got 23-25. And my 94 FWB gets around 19. Not worth the pain of such a smallish car and lack of power.

Well, they aren't going to spend huge $$. They have a 97 Deville now, but can't pull it (they are flat towing and won't risk the Deville). So towing flat is needed, but they may be selling the RV too.

My recommendations is a Buick Roadmaster, 94-96. Good power, they like RWD, and the Cadillac barely fits in the garage now, so the FWB like mine WON'T even come close!

GM cars only. 25-30 mpg highway is required. Buick RM fits the bill well. Something not too old, need reliability for sure.

Ideas?

IM clutching at straws here because im not up on sizes over there. what about a caprice?
Or what about an older Deville, a 94 maybe? I dont know what they are like on the juice though

illumina
08-16-05, 04:02 PM

Ideas?

They could always purchase a car dolly (two-wheeler thingys) for about $300.00 to pull the Deville without any issues.

JC316
08-16-05, 06:58 PM
Damn, I just sold a 93 S10 Blazer that I pulled behind my RV. It had a complete driveshaft disconnect on it, towbar and lights to boot. It was an awesome tow car though, I now have a 96 and it is even better. i would reccomend a newer Blazer.

mccombie_5
08-16-05, 07:01 PM
Damn, I just sold a 93 S10 Blazer that I pulled behind my RV. It had a complete driveshaft disconnect on it, towbar and lights to boot. It was an awesome tow car though, I now have a 96 and it is even better. i would reccomend a newer Blazer.

Can someone explain to me the ideas behind towing your car around? IM confused....

addison_ii
08-16-05, 09:05 PM
Can someone explain to me the ideas behind towing your car around? IM confused....
I would guess it's done so that while the RV is parked at a central location, they can use the car for quick jaunts to visit people or run to the store. Not mention easier to find parking for.

BTW NODIH, For FWD and upper mid-sized I'd say a late 90's Buick Park Ave or LeSabre, 92-96 Olds 98, 92-current Bonneville, Impala, Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada.
For RWD Caprice, Impala SS, FWB, Catera.

mccombie_5
08-16-05, 09:14 PM
I would guess it's done so that while the RV is parked at a central location, they can use the car for quick jaunts to visit people or run to the store. Not mention easier to find parking for.

BTW NODIH, For FWD and upper mid-sized I'd say a late 90's Buick Park Ave or LeSabre, 92-96 Olds 98, 92-current Bonneville, Impala, Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada.
For RWD Caprice, Impala SS, FWB, Catera.

Ah i get it.
I had a large caravan and towed it with my previous Range Rover, i also had a Mercedes Benz based motorhome, i sold them both in favour of a tent. I got back to basics. Oh, and i also bought a holiday home so i didnt need a mobile one so much :)

They were similar to these:

N0DIH
08-17-05, 12:23 AM
They don't want to buy a dolly, they have $1K tied up into a cool aluminum folding tow bar, brake, etc for the car now. They don't want throw all that away. And after somone hit the Saturn on the Chicago Skyway, the Deville will not go behind it! They hit hard enough they felt it up front, and they weren't sure till they stopped and saw the hit.

They have a 2003 40' Damon Challenger 373 now. 496 BBC. Runs good. So it has to be a flat tow, and most cars can't be towed more than 50 miles flat. I don't know why, but Saturns can. 4WD's usually can, but they must have Neutral capabilities in the transfer case.

If they can tow the 3800/4T60E-4T65E trans cars flat, that is a good choice. Anyone have a owners manual that can look and see if they can be towed like that?

Leloz
08-17-05, 03:16 AM
Only GM? I have a neighbor that just bought a new Grand Marquis to tow behind his RV. He paid $17700 brand new for it, might be something to consider.

N0DIH
08-17-05, 03:53 AM
Found on Blue Oval News

"Some cars/trucks with auto trans have the ability to remove a fuse or go through some key/shift/button sequence to allow for towing 4-down. Some put speed and distance limitations and some do not. Honda and Saturn have been getting most of this market because they consistently allow 4 down towing with auto transmission.

While you can always buy a manual transmission car, this market typically prefers automatics plus many cars are not available with manuals.

Ford has a free kit for the Explorer to allow 4 down towing that but it is a little heavy for many motorhomes. Besides the F150/250/350 with manual transfer case, there is no Ford product that can be towed 4-down.

Here are some companies that allow towing with automatic with no alterations or manual transfer case requirements.

Honda - CRV, Element, Pilot
Jeep - Liberty and Wrangler
Chevy - Cavalier, Malibu and all 4 wheel drive
Pontiac - Grand AM and Sunfire
Saturn - L300 and VUE
Suzuki - Grand Vitara, Vitara and XL-7

Me - most of the cars you mentioned being towed were probably manuals. You can tow any auto with a drive line disconnect kit or some with a aux transmission lub pumps but those are expensive, not 100% reliable and not easy."

N0DIH
08-17-05, 03:58 AM
At least according to this, it doesn't sound like many Fords can. At least not full size. Maybe the FiveHundred. But tow dolly's aren't an option, GM is what they prefer. I like the Roadmaster (and I am sure they would as well), but I don't think it can be flat towed either.

The RV can tow are 5000# fairly well. The Saturn is ok towing, but it is such a tiny car for my mom and dad to deal with they are just sick of it. I don't blame them, I traded cars for a day (I have a 94 Fleetwood Brougham) and I am just amazed people tolerate the tinyness and lack of power. I'll not the smallest guy out there, but at only 5'11", it proved a pain to get in and out of.

Maybe a Blazer is a decent choice, they don't need 4WD in Florida, as it would be a waste really. But do you have to have 4WD to tow flat?

mccombie_5
08-17-05, 08:40 PM
Is an older deville out of the question totally?

mcf1000x2003
08-17-05, 08:49 PM
how about a camry or accord they are great on gas and are fair sized the roadmaster is;nt gonna give up great gas mileage

c5 rv
08-17-05, 09:06 PM
Here's a guide for toads / dinghy-towing:

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?id=952129