: 96 Edlo Cranks will not start

GSTEBB
08-15-05, 09:31 AM
I have a 1996 Eldo that stalled cranks fine but will not start. The car has about 95000 miles and ran great until this happened. I have replaced the fuel filter and the EGR replaced at about 60000 along with the injectors cleaned. I have the following codes on the computer PC0603 , PZ1552 , IP1552 , and IR2255. I really need some help getting her going without the cost of the dealer!!

Thank you for your help!

Greg

mcowden
08-15-05, 10:44 AM
I have a 1996 Eldo that stalled cranks fine but will not start. The car has about 95000 miles and ran great until this happened. I have replaced the fuel filter and the EGR replaced at about 60000 along with the injectors cleaned. I have the following codes on the computer PC0603 , PZ1552 , IP1552 , and IR2255. I really need some help getting her going without the cost of the dealer!!

Thank you for your help!

Greg

Welcome to the forums, Greg... I'll look up the codes when I get home from work, but I don't think they're going to tell us what's going on. My guess is the crank position sensors or an ignition module, but it depends. Do you have a way to check for fuel pressure and spark? Have you had any weird idle problems? I'll post again this evening unless someone else chimes in here with the meaning of those codes. It's possible that the codes indicating the cause of the problem were erased when the battery was disconnected. In that case, it might be a manual troubleshooting process to get it running again. If I was you, I would check for fuel and spark first.

Let us know what you find.

DaveC
08-16-05, 02:50 PM
Greg
A likely problem and easy to check is "fuel pressure". Under the front right side of your Northstar engine cover there is a fuel pressure release valve (looks somewhat like a tire valve) on the fuel delivery pipe. Check this valve for pressure. If the pump and FPR valve are working properly there will be considerable pressure at this valve for a good bit after the ignition is turned off. If you have little or no pressure at this valve after an ignition cycle your engine will not start. Likely problem is the fuel pump.

Good luck
DaveC

mcowden
08-16-05, 03:41 PM
Greg
A likely problem and easy to check is "fuel pressure". Under the front right side of your Northstar engine cover there is a fuel pressure release valve (looks somewhat like a tire valve) on the fuel delivery pipe. Check this valve for pressure. If the pump and FPR valve are working properly there will be considerable pressure at this valve for a good bit after the ignition is turned off. If you have little or no pressure at this valve after an ignition cycle your engine will not start. Likely problem is the fuel pump.

Good luck
DaveC

Follow DaveC's advice. The valve he refers to is the same as an R-12 air conditioning valve, so if you have or can borrow an R-12 gauge set that can be abused, hook it up to that valve and check the fuel pressure with the gauge. If you turn the key on, the pump will run for a couple seconds and pressurize the system. It should pressurize to about 40-45 PSI (anyone know exactly what it should be?). Watch the pressure while you crank over the engine and the pressure should go up a little bit. If you can't get 40 PSI, the fuel pump or filter is likely the problem.

That valve is a schrader valve, just like on tires but bigger. If you push the valve center in, you can release the pressure. When you do that, though, it will spray a little bit of gasoline out, so make sure there are no sparks or heat sources nearby. Be careful!

Let us know if you have fuel pressure.

GSTEBB
08-17-05, 10:21 AM
I checked and have no fuel pressure :(

I have ordered a pump and it will be in today. Does anyone have any tip/tricks on dropping the tank and changing the pump? Please let me know as I am waiting for a response before I begin the process.

Thanks Again!!

Mark Bunds
08-17-05, 11:07 AM
I checked and have no fuel pressure :(

I have ordered a pump and it will be in today. Does anyone have any tip/tricks on dropping the tank and changing the pump? Please let me know as I am waiting for a response before I begin the process.

Thanks Again!!

Hold on there buddy!!!

Are you sure the fuel pump is getting power?

Did you check the fuel pump relay?

You may be spending your money unnecessarily if your pump isn't getting power.

mcowden
08-17-05, 02:53 PM
Hold on there buddy!!!

Are you sure the fuel pump is getting power?

Did you check the fuel pump relay?

You may be spending your money unnecessarily if your pump isn't getting power.

Good advice from Mark Bunds... There have been several users here who reported finding wires that had melted insulation near the fuel tank resulting in popped fuses. As the pump degraded, it got very hot and melted the wiring. Fixing the wiring is the first priority to make it work again, but the overheating pump was the root cause of the problem.

Relays do go bad. I don't remember if the FP relay is the same as some other relay, but if you compare model numbers, you might find a sibling that you can swap with. If the sister system works after the swap, the relay is not the problem. Check the fuse. If the fuse is blown, check the wiring. To do that, the tank will need to be dropped. I can't help you there. I'm sure someone else has done this and will chime in with instructions. If I get to my manuals before someone replies, I'll post it. If the fuse, relay, and wiring are OK, it probably is the pump. If you have a VOM or test light, make sure there actually is power getting to it.