: Lower temp stat & fan sensor?

VinnyT
08-15-05, 06:58 AM
Anyone use a 180 stat coupled with a new fan coolant sensor (to work with the 180 stat)? I had a few Chevy 350's in my time and always benefited with lower temps. Now I know we are talking about two different animals, but wouldn't it help? I've read MANY posts regarding blown head gaskets, overheating, the whole "DexCool" issue, etc. I'm wondering if the computer would have to be reprogrammed. My car runs between 196-208. (Where's the damn degree symbol on my keyboard?!?:mad: )That temp seems to be the norm I guess. I changed out my coolant this weekend(PITA!!) I hate squeeze clamps! I was thinking of putting in a lower stat, but figured with my luck, it would be a nightmare. What do you all think? V.

mcowden
08-15-05, 10:52 AM
Anyone use a 180 stat coupled with a new fan coolant sensor (to work with the 180 stat)? I had a few Chevy 350's in my time and always benefited with lower temps. Now I know we are talking about two different animals, but wouldn't it help? I've read MANY posts regarding blown head gaskets, overheating, the whole "DexCool" issue, etc. I'm wondering if the computer would have to be reprogrammed. My car runs between 196-208. (Where's the damn degree symbol on my keyboard?!?:mad: )That temp seems to be the norm I guess. I changed out my coolant this weekend(PITA!!) I hate squeeze clamps! I was thinking of putting in a lower stat, but figured with my luck, it would be a nightmare. What do you all think? V.

I don't think a lower temperature thermostat is going to help anything. It would take a serious overheat to damage anything, and the engine will go into limp home mode if that happens, then you shut it off. The Dexcool issue is easily solved: Drain and refill the coolant regularly. In my case, I had a water pump leak followed a year later by a water pump cover leak, so I've drained and refilled mine several times well before it needed to be done. I think I'm in good shape. Just maintain the cooling system properly and use the OEM thermostat and you will be fine. The AC-Delco thermostat is much more sturdy than the aftermarket ones I've seen. They're all stamped steel, but the Delco was much more beefy and fit better than anything else. Just my opinion, but remember the system was tested with the OEM thermostat and others have not been tested.