: Industrial espionage and computer crime

lev
11-17-03, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone.
I am doing a formal report on the topic above in my university class. Does anyone have anything to comment on that. I am basically interested in these questions.

Statistcs of computer cirme
Right and wrong ways to combat Industrial espionage and computer crime.
Things in your opinions companies neglect when it comes to IE/CC.

I am dying to read reply posts to this one.

Oh, and thank you in advance

Ralph
11-18-03, 09:36 PM
Nothing is safe on your computer anymore. This is an interesting topic, and I don't know if I can help, but we had an incident this summer. Our provincial telephone company had two hardrives stolen. That may not seem too bad, however what was in the computer was. Over 1500 names and bank account numbers of the companies customers. Bank accounts could have been wiped clean, or the contents emptied! There was a great concern over this, and I think there is too much information and trust being placed in technology. They ecentually caught the perps and no damage was performed. He could have sold the harddrives overseas where there is very bad identity theft. Wallmart has just stated they want to place chips in everything in the store so that they can track where everything goes! Supposedly, they will somehow know who you are, and where you go, what you buy, etc. Is this an invasion of privacy? To me it is. They will probably use the excuse of "demographics" and research for customers needs for performing this. Ever wonder why they ask your name and number in certain stores when you buy something? Chances are, they have all your personal info already!

lev
11-18-03, 10:24 PM
Our provincial telephone company had two hardrives stolen

Hey Ralph, thanks a lot for a reply.

So how exactly was it stolen? Did the theieves break in? Or did they hack it? What do you think the company did wrong that unauthorized person(s) ginaed access to this?

Oh and any aritcles in the media about this?

Sorry, please do not think I am making you do my paper for me. I just would like some details.

Again, thanks a trillion.

Ralph
11-19-03, 12:38 AM
Our provincial telephone company had two hardrives stolen

Hey Ralph, thanks a lot for a reply.

So how exactly was it stolen? Did the theieves break in? Or did they hack it? What do you think the company did wrong that unauthorized person(s) ginaed access to this?

Oh and any aritcles in the media about this?

Sorry, please do not think I am making you do my paper for me. I just would like some details.

Again, thanks a trillion.

Hey Lev, don't worry, I have done so many reports in Univ. I cannot even count them, glad to give any info if it helps.

Anyway, some details, eh. I asked my fiance for the details and she refreshed my memory a little. The phone company, and a few other companies hired some other research company to do some work for them, and they had the client's names and all the personal info on their computers. I guess when the computers got old, they were supposed to delete all the info from them, before they were to be destroyed, but a couple of employees took them home for themselves! They must have been charged because why they would keep the hardrives so long when they must have known that there was concern portrayed on the media about all this. I wish I paid a little more attention now.

I think it happened back in May or June. I'm sorry I cannot remember the exact timeframe, if I have some extra time I will try to dig it up. Go to "The Regina Leader Post," that is the newspaper, and Saskatchewan's capital city. Then find the "archive" section. This is a long-shot, but it made front-page headlines for quite a number of weeks.

lev
12-12-03, 07:34 PM
Hey, Ralph, I got an A on the paper yesterday.

Although I couldn't find the material you gave me, I still wish to thank you for your help.

Ralph
12-13-03, 03:45 AM
Hey, Ralph, I got an A on the paper yesterday.

Although I couldn't find the material you gave me, I still wish to thank you for your help.

Excellent! Good work Dude. I don't think I ever got an "A" unless sleeping with the teacher counts? ;)

lev
12-14-03, 02:11 AM
NEW THREAD!!! NEW THREAD!!!

Ralph slept his way through college :histeric:

Ralph
12-14-03, 02:21 AM
Who could sleep with all that ;) ;) going on!?

How long was the report? I think the longest one I did was 35 pages, and I hated typing them after! (no computer then) :crying: :crybaby: