: Check Oilk Level wont stop

AKPsiMC03
11-17-03, 07:26 PM
My Check oil light message keeps coming up. But when i check it, the oil is almost near the top of the dipstick. It doesnt do it all the time, just occasioanlly. Is there an eay way to fix it? Im trying to sell my caddy so i can buy a truck, and i dont want someone to go and test drive it only to think i neglect the oil level.

zonie77
11-17-03, 10:35 PM
There is a sensor on the oil pan for the oil level. It may be bad or there may be something wrong with the wires. If it only happens occasionally I'd visually check for a wiring problem first.
You will have to drain some oil out if you want to change it. I havn't changed one so not sure how it is attached (screw in or some bracket).

Snyder81
11-19-03, 10:47 PM
My Check oil light message keeps coming up. But when i check it, the oil is almost near the top of the dipstick. It doesnt do it all the time, just occasioanlly. Is there an eay way to fix it? Im trying to sell my caddy so i can buy a truck, and i dont want someone to go and test drive it only to think i neglect the oil level.

The above poster is correct about the sensor. It probably needs to be replaced. There is a thread about this exact problem in this same sub-forum called "Check Oil Level" and it can be found at http://server.madisonross.com/~cadillac/forums/showthread.php?t=2808 . I don't know if you tried searching but it seems difficult to miss... :welcome:

The part you need is this: http://www.borgwarnerbrand.com/flashhtml/relays/S8112.html

Your GM dealer sells it as well. Myself and several members of this forum have purchased ones with plastic heads, not metal as the picture shows(Maybe a newer generation of the same part?) If that doesn't fix the problem, another user posted a while back that your GM dealer has a PCM flash fix for your onboard computer that will fix the nagging problem.

I haven't replaced mine yet because it hasn't been time for an oil change, but it should be pretty simple. It just unscrews from the side of the oil pan right by the filter on my 96 Concours. Screw the new one in and plug the wire into it and you have a new oil level sensor.

-Scott