: The Camaro Returns!

ben72227
08-14-05, 03:13 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106732

Its about damn time too.

DopeStar 156
08-14-05, 03:14 PM
Ew, I hope there's no "green muscle car" in our future.

addison_ii
08-14-05, 03:28 PM
What this means to you: Guess it was just a matter of time and environmental awareness the original definition of muscle cars doesn't fit well with new perceptions of what's best for the world...could there be a "green" muscle car in our future?

Hmmm a 2.2ltr 16 valve 4cyl in a Camaro? I think not. Give it v8 power now dammit, dual exhaust. With ability to burn a set of tires off the rear wheels. Yeahh Fire Fire Fire
V8 power ahhhhaaaahh.*too much RedBull*

Rolex
08-14-05, 06:30 PM
Uhhh I'm with you guys......it better have an aluminum V8 and lots of get up and go. Hopefully after the long wait the design won't suck. :rolleyes:

Ralph
08-14-05, 06:33 PM
I'm a little leary of that announcement. It's only a concept, and the likes of Car and Driver, etc. have been talking about this for some time I believe.

They seriously need to produce one though and never should have killed them off.

DopeStar 156
08-15-05, 12:26 AM
Haha I seriously doubt Chevy will 4-cyl the Camaro, because........that's what we call a Cavalier! :histeric:

Jesda
08-15-05, 06:09 AM
Edmunds is more and more like Consumer Reports every day: Short on facts, heavy on useless input.

Ralph
08-17-05, 10:25 PM
Actually, I think in the new issue of MOTOR TREND they say plans for new F-bodies are pretty much dead. Pity.

Night Wolf
08-18-05, 02:59 AM
well, yeah the F-body isn't returning, it is a very old and dated chassis....

if the Camaro comes back, it won't be an F-body :) maybe the Sigma or something?

ben72227
08-18-05, 03:16 AM
probably, a cheap version of Sigma. Or maybe even Zeta? Depends how small they want the car to be i guess

Leloz
08-18-05, 07:54 AM
The Fbody is dead and gone... and one of the last is in my garage ;)

I hope the do not disgrace the Camaro name like they did the Impala SS :helpless:

Ralph
08-18-05, 11:43 PM
well, yeah the F-body isn't returning, it is a very old and dated chassis....

if the Camaro comes back, it won't be an F-body :) maybe the Sigma or something?

When I said "f-bodies" I simply meant any new kind of Camaro or Firebird on ANY new platform. According to MOTOR TREND (I think) GM doesn't have any plans for new ones at all.

danbuc
08-19-05, 01:20 AM
If that's the case, then GM might as well start engraving their tombstone ahead of time, so it will be ready when they die. A new, relatively cheap Camaro/Trans Am/Firebird..ect is what they need to bring people into the showrooms. So they've got a new Corvette....whoop di doo. Pretty much every other car in Chevy's line up other than the Cobalt sucks (not including trucks). Pontiac's no help, and Buick..well that's another story. A cheaper shortened version of the Sigma platform would be perfect for such a car. They already knwo it can handle alot of power. All they need to do is find a way to design a new body around it, and fit the LS2 in there, and be done with it. If I don't see this concept Camaro at the next NY Auto Show, I'm gonna be pissed off. Gm's loosing money and they know it. It's about time they made an effort to fix the problem, and the Camaro is definitely a viable solution.

DopeStar 156
08-19-05, 01:34 AM
Yeah dude, it's a simple solution. I dunno why there's no plans for this to happen.

danbuc
08-19-05, 02:16 AM
That's the $64,000 question. They have the technology, and capability to implement such a plan. The car's have the mass following that would ultimately be required to build a new customer base for the new models. At this point, there's nothing stopping them from building one, other than the fact that they are just lazy, and can't seem to make the effort to pull their head's all the way out of their asses so to speak. I'd give it a few more months before we start hearing about it. I mean honestly, killing the Camaro and never brining it back, is like Ford permanently killing off the Mustang. Logic dictates that removing such an iconic, and well loved vehicle from the line, would be certain suicide for a brand like Ford. Perhaps this was the beginning of the so called end for GM's reign over the "Muscle car" when they killed off Camaro, and other associated cars. If they refuse to build another one, I fear they may never fully recover. I mean, what are we, the heartbeat of America supposed to buy now....a Cobalt SS? F**k that. I would rather slam my hand in a car door repeatedly, than buy a Cobalt. I'd buy a Corvette, but it's expensive. The GTO looks like an Amoeba, with four wheels...and that's not cool. I want my damn Camaro and I want it now......damnit.

Ralph
08-19-05, 02:25 AM
Right. If Ford can find the money and the people to build a new, cool Mustang, why can't GM give us a new, equally afforadable Firebird and Camaro?

It wouldn't ever sell enough to pay the bills at GM, but it would at least help make Pontiac and Chevy cool again.

Jim85IROC
08-23-05, 11:36 AM
Ford is expected to sell nearly 200k mustangs this year. Chrysler is smart enough to see that the pony car market is still booming, and is quickly trying to bring the Challenger to the market.

Where's GM? Well, they've finally come out with the HHR to compete with the PT Cruiser. Too bad they're 6 years late to that game. Maybe in 5 more years they'll re-enter the pony car market 6 years too late too.

chevyorange
08-23-05, 11:43 AM
Sounds like the 60s Pony Car race again. Mustang in 1964.5 and Chevy didn't get on board until 1967.

Of course, it spanked the Mustang for the most part...

davesdeville
08-23-05, 01:33 PM
I dunno, a new Camaro couldn't be allowed to be better than the Mustang otherwise it would kill all GTO sales. I'm not sure GM could make a Camaro a lesser car than the Mustang, and I'm not sure GM could make a Camaro on par with the Mustang for the same price as the Mustang. If you're in the market just buy a GTO, they kick ass.

Jim85IROC
08-23-05, 02:00 PM
Right now the GTO isn't marketed or built as a pony car. It's aimed more at the GT crowd. If GM brought back the camaro, they'd make it fast as hell with a cheap interior and ass-ugly exterior, just like they did with the last generation Camaro, then sit around all confused trying to figure out why they only sell 5 V6 models a year and can't get total sales above 30k units while down the street Ford dealers can't keep V6 cars on the lot.

davesdeville
08-23-05, 02:17 PM
Are you trying to say people wouldn't cross-shop the Mustang with the GTO and with a Camaro? I don't care if they don't classify it as a pony car just because there's no base V6 since we're talking about the performance variants anyway.