: Surge tank

Dadillac
08-14-05, 01:49 PM
As stated in an earlier post, I changed my coolant this morning. I have a small rant. It may just be that I am anal retentive. Why would GM, design a surge tank, that is going to house orange coolant, with black, and "orange" plastic? Before the coolant change, I assumed that the plastic was just showing the coolant color through it. After removing, and cleaning the tank, and noticing that the plastic was orange tinted, I couldn't believe my eyes. I am no rocket scientist, or car designer. But, even I can figure out, that the semi-transparent white plastic, would be a much better choice. Rant over.

Don

cguthrie
08-17-05, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Coolant OK. Oil level 1 quart low.

I hear your pain!

I believe the dark surge tank container was designed to match the dark tab on the end of the oil stick! (yes, I've heard it was originally a lighter color and has just cooked & changed color over time)

Maybe I'm just getting old because I have to pull out the flashlights just to check my fluid levels these days!

CG
99 STS 116K

Dadillac
08-17-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Coolant OK. Oil level 1 quart low.

I hear your pain!

I believe the dark surge tank container was designed to match the dark tab on the end of the oil stick! (yes, I've heard it was originally a lighter color and has just cooked & changed color over time)

Maybe I'm just getting old because I have to pull out the flashlights just to check my fluid levels these days!

CG
99 STS 116K
Is this true? Was the surge tank, when new, much lighter in color? Or are you just busting my chops? :thumbsup: It would seem difficult to believe, that a three year old car, would have the plastic surge tank, discolor so quickly. It definitely looks to have been made this color. But, I could be mistaken (that would be the first time ;) ).

Don

cguthrie
08-17-05, 08:18 PM
Sorry Don,

I was reffering to the tab on the end of the dip stick, which I believe was supposed to be yellow. Mine's well, the color of oil after a couple thousand miles!

I believe the surge tank was always blackish, but I would have preferred it to be clear similar as the brake fluid reservoir. You bring up an excellent point.

Didn't mean to bust your chops,

CG

Ranger
08-17-05, 09:14 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. My surge tank is opaque black :mad:.

I hear ya on the dipstick though. I have to read it in the sunlight. I have often thought about molding a new one or machining one out of steel and brazing it to the cable.

JimD
08-17-05, 09:50 PM
Regarding the oil dipstick:

Put some faith in the crankcase oil level sensor (and the DIC message "CHECK OIL LEVEL") which makes the oil dipstick redundant.

I have learned to ignore the CHECK OIL LEVEL message on a cold start. If I see that message on a hot start, I will consider adding one guart of oil.

Over 142,000 miles on a '98 and going strong. YMMV.