: Dex Cool

Dadillac
08-14-05, 01:06 PM
I changed the coolant in my N* this morning, what a PITA. Anyway, I already had two gallons of premixed DexCool, and I bought another gallon, and distilled water, to replace what I would use. The coolant change used only about 1 1/2 gallons. Now I have about 2 1/2 gallons of premixed DexCool. Now to my question. Does DexCool have a shelf life? Will it lose it's effectiveness after a certain period of time, even if it is not in use? Seeings how I only used a gallon and a half, I pretty much have enough coolant, to last the lifetime of the car. If this sounds like a silly question, I apologize. But 100k miles from now, I would hate to use outdated coolant, and ruin an engine. Thanks

Don

danbuc
08-14-05, 01:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, did you used the Coolant Suppliment Tabs when you changed the coolant? If not, don't worry. They are mostly to help any slight seepage you might see over time through some of the gaskets. You can always add it in later as well. I would think that Dexcool does have some sort of shelf life, but I'm not entirely sure. It probably differs depending on whether or not it's concentrated, or already in a 50/50 mix.

Dadillac
08-14-05, 01:36 PM
Yes, I used the supplement. I used the Bars Leak horse pills. Considering a post I read many months ago, from a guy who's name cannot be mentioned on this board any longer (what the fock is happening with that?), I took one pellet, and put it into the old coolant, to see how long it would take to dissolve. The post stated that it would break up almost instatntaneously when it got wet. Well, that isn't exactly true. So, I decided to break up the pellets before dropping them into the radiator hose.

Oh, and by the way, everybody posts that it is impossible to remove the radiator petcock. Just use a 19mm socket. It comes right out.

Another question. Standing in front of the car, looking at the radiator, it appears that the "top hose" is on the left of the radiator. The "bottom hose" is on the right. It appears that the "bottom hose", is not located at the bottom of the radiator. Rather near the middle. Is this correct? To the untrained eye, it would appear that there is two top hoses. The only way to know for sure, is that the top hose, is attatched at the thermostat housing, and goes to the left side of the radiator (looking from in front of car). Why was the radiator designed this way? Seems rather inefficient. It would be nice, if the unmentionble person, who would definitely have the answer to this question, could answer it. Later

Don

Dadillac
08-14-05, 08:59 PM
Well, I checked Texaco's website, and it losts 8 years on storing DexCool. So all will be good.

Don