: what year engine is this!

starfox86
08-11-05, 12:01 PM
I bought this northstar that I installed in my 1994 seville sls. It runs Great. the guy I bought it from was not sure what year it was. he knew it was from 94-96 though. (so I knew it would fit)....so right now my mechanic needs to know what year it is to order some parts for it. the only thing different between this engine and the 94 sls is the rear valve cover. the oil vacuum thing is on the right side of the engine in the car now. and also, I swapted the oil filter adapter. (the thing that bolts on to the block and the oil filter screws up to it). the engine I bought a had two connectons on it which looked liked they where for two hoses. ...so with those two things, what year could it be?? and is it an sts or sls?? or is that not enough info :hmm: Thanks

eldorado1
08-11-05, 01:49 PM
Not enough info.

Did the intake look like your original engine? If so, it's a 93-94 engine. If not, it's a 95+ engine... Did it even have an intake?

You won't be able to tell if it's an SLS or STS engine conclusively without pulling the valve cover.

The oil lines from the oil filter adapter go to an oil cooler, which I *believe* only the STS engines had, but I could be wrong, as there may have been a towing option as well...

starfox86
08-11-05, 06:08 PM
the engine did not come with the intake, but the one I had on my 94 sls fit perfectly. I have the towing package on my car, but it was not hooked up to the oil filter adapter. how would I know by taking the valve covers off if it was a sls or sts?

eldorado1
08-11-05, 06:24 PM
the engine did not come with the intake, but the one I had on my 94 sls fit perfectly. I have the towing package on my car, but it was not hooked up to the oil filter adapter. how would I know by taking the valve covers off if it was a sls or sts?

You could measure the intake cam lobe's diameter with calipers. I could look up the specs if you want, but the rear cam cover is the easiest to remove, and I wouldn't bother if it was already in the car...

Jack Ammann
08-12-05, 08:42 AM
I bought this northstar that I installed in my 1994 seville sls. It runs Great. the guy I bought it from was not sure what year it was. he knew it was from 94-96 though. (so I knew it would fit)....so right now my mechanic needs to know what year it is to order some parts for it. the only thing different between this engine and the 94 sls is the rear valve cover. the oil vacuum thing is on the right side of the engine in the car now. and also, I swapted the oil filter adapter. (the thing that bolts on to the block and the oil filter screws up to it). the engine I bought a had two connectons on it which looked liked they where for two hoses. ...so with those two things, what year could it be?? and is it an sts or sls?? or is that not enough info :hmm: Thanks

What is the OEM routing of the sparkplug wires?...around the left end (drivers side) of the engine, it's a '94. Coming from under the fuel rail cover, it's a '95-'96.