: The beginning of the end for internal combustion?!

Ralph
11-16-03, 08:52 PM
News event:

Toyota Prius Hybrid's sellout in Canada! Now if you want one, you must wait until spring 2004. I assume they are selling well throughout North America, but to sell out! The last I heard of these, they were not doing too well.

I cannot see people wanting to get rid of their large SUV or pickup truck for one of these, do you? Also, why can't they make a large platform hybrid, or do they?

kcnewell
11-16-03, 10:24 PM
I'll take mine.....When there's no other car new or used available!

lux hauler
11-16-03, 11:01 PM
Just how many of these did they make for Canada?

kcnewell
11-16-03, 11:15 PM
Just how many of these did they make for Canada?

Probably 7 or 8

lux hauler
11-16-03, 11:15 PM
I don't think there's much to worry about....
http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/cd/prvw/firstdrive2004toyotaprius.html

Despite these shortcomings, Toyota has sold more than 150,000 Prius sedans around the world since 1997 allowing the company to recover its investment in the car. To their credit, over 1,100 Canadians put their principles first and bought a first generation Prius.
1,100 cars in six or seven years.....? They're not going to be clogging up the roadways anytime soon.

davesdeville
11-16-03, 11:56 PM
I'll stick to my 9mpg 4300 pound car, or trade for a 7mpg 5200 pound car, thank you very much.

Ralph
11-17-03, 02:40 AM
Not sure how many were available for Canukville, but if the future means tiny little ugly hybrids, I'll keep mine too. In Canada, I could see Ottawa mandating something like this, especially if that stupid Kyoto passes. (which I hope it better not) They passed an engine idling law in Ontario, if you can believe that!! You have 2 minutes to run your car in the winter, supposedly anymore and you are polluting, and you can get a ticket! Illogical in a colder climate. IMO. I can understand if they could directly link cars to the global warming phenomenon, but they had several scientists on tv stating that global warming is a natural process that occurs about every 15,ooo years or so. As it is, I think cars are emissioned to the hilt, and they are not contributing much, if any, to the problem. However, I think more factories with these smoke-stacks you see should be paying more of a fine for polluting, when they know the fine for not having a "scrubber" filter is less than the filter for clean air.

Lux, that was a good article. It sort of contradicts what they said on the news, which is what I based this thread on. I'll cite the source so I don't get criticized, LOL: CBC Newsworld (television) November 14th.

I still cannot believe they sold out, but it could have something to do with the fear of rising gas prices?

Ralph
11-17-03, 03:16 AM
I'll stick to my 9mpg 4300 pound car, or trade for a 7mpg 5200 pound car, thank you very much.

LOL!!!

scourge
11-17-03, 04:47 AM
I'm always amused by people who insist on their giant pushrod engines and the sounds they make. I admit I like the sound myself, but as far as performance goes, if I ain't faster than the other guy then it doesn't matter to me what an engine sounds like or anything else. Car companies ever make a hybrid engine that is FAF, then I'll buy it, gladly.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-17-03, 03:20 PM
yup , id like to have a prius for daily commute dutys , but i couldnt afford one yet , the only way i could bring myself to have it would be if i had a second car to have fun with on the weekends

BUILDINGCTSAMG
11-17-03, 05:36 PM
If i liked the looks of the prius id defn get one.....i love them

Ralph
11-20-03, 02:36 AM
This just in; GM to make a full-size platform hybrid truck for next year, looks like the end has started. :shhh: (CBC Newsworld)

ShadowLvr400
11-20-03, 05:16 PM
While it is a step down for the internal combustion engine, Notice the hybrids are gas electric combos. I have a feeling it will be quite a few years before the electric stands alone. Anyways, consider having to retrain a huge workforce of service people mto take care of the motors. The gas motor is also too well entrenched to be shut down for good. Admittedly, more and more vehicles will go hybrid, gas/electric combos, but the electric will NOT replace gas for quiet some time, barring a major catastrophe. (Like all fossil fuels disappearing totally.) Also expect more pressure on efficiency, so gas mileages will continue to increase. Personally, I like the hybrid movement, though I won't be buying one anytime soon. Partially because I don't have money, partially because they're not made in cars I have interest in. A midsized sedan with a hybrid motor, given some life, I'd buy. But compact cars are not a part of my shopping interests.

davesdeville
11-20-03, 07:47 PM
Actually if the car compaines make a hybrid car that's at least 18 feet long and 6 1/2 feet wide, and isn't underpowered as hell, and isn't ugly as hell, I'd consider buying it. My main problem is that the hybrids are too small and uncomfortable, and they try to make them look like insects. Not cool insects like bees or hornets either, they find the ugliest insect they can and then they're like "Ohh this thing's uglier than the insectius uglius Honda modeled their car after, so we at Toyota better make it." Actually I have like no money so I wouldn't consider buying it anyway.

c5 rv
11-20-03, 08:39 PM
The Prius was just named Motor Trend car of the year. What a joke. We can be sure to see lots of Toyota advertising in upcoming issues of Motor Trend.

There was also a recent report that the EPA mileage numbers for hybrids are inflated about 10% due to the way the recapture of braking energy is done in the EPA dyno tests.

Ralph
11-20-03, 08:57 PM
The Prius was just named Motor Trend car of the year. What a joke. We can be sure to see lots of Toyota advertising in upcoming issues of Motor Trend.

There was also a recent report that the EPA mileage numbers for hybrids are inflated about 10% due to the way the recapture of braking energy is done in the EPA dyno tests.

If the numbers were in fact inflated, then it is probably on par with the mileage of a regular Civic/Corolla for mileage. I thought those were more than adequate for efficiency to begin with.