: gasket

2002silverbullet sts
08-10-05, 11:14 PM
ok this is a simple question...theres lots of blown gaskets and lots of stressed clients....my question is what are all the things u can do to avoid and help prevent this...i get worried from time to time my waterpump has been replaced as well as my thermostat...how do i know if the previous repair guy put pellets in

mcowden
08-10-05, 11:28 PM
ok this is a simple question...theres lots of blown gaskets and lots of stressed clients....my question is what are all the things u can do to avoid and help prevent this...i get worried from time to time my waterpump has been replaced as well as my thermostat...how do i know if the previous repair guy put pellets in

You want to know what you can do to help prevent it, and how to know if the previous guy used pellets. I would say you should drain and refill the coolant with fresh 50/50 Dex-Cool and distilled water mix yourself and use the sealant. That should answer both questions. Can't really think of anything else you can do to prevent the head gasket problems. Use the AC-Delco thermostat over the aftermarket ones because it's much more sturdy and was tested with the engine. I couldn't tell the difference between an aftermarket water pump and the Delco one. Maybe it's in the bearing or somewhere else I can't see. Just maintain the car the way it's supposed to be maintained and use parts that are known good and tested with the engine. That's about all you can do, really. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen. If you take care of it the way it's supposed to be taken care of, you'll at least know it's not your fault if it does happen. I would say the chances are pretty slim anyway.

2002silverbullet sts
08-10-05, 11:45 PM
thank u mc for the reply... im gonna do that

Ranger
08-11-05, 12:18 AM
Don't worry too much about the sealant tabs. They are simply to prevent niusance leaks and do not prevent not cure head gasket leaks. Thet are good to have in there but won't cause any problems if they're not.

2002silverbullet sts
08-11-05, 12:24 AM
ok good...i might make sure the tabs are in there anyways because of all the previous work that has been done....im suprised it has been done so early life of the car! almost two years ....when the water pump and thermostat was put in...so that means it is possible on replacing it every two years...or it was just one of those things failing...

mumblypeg
08-11-05, 05:21 PM
Don't worry too much about the sealant tabs. They are simply to prevent niusance leaks and do not prevent not cure head gasket leaks. Thet are good to have in there but won't cause any problems if they're not.

I wonder what happens if a "niusance" leak leads to low coolant level? Low coolant level is one cause of overhaeting.

Any leak(small, medium, large) that leads to overheating could cause the head gasket to fail/leak. Therefore, using the sealant can prevent headgasket problems in a roundabout way. IMHO.

GM is not getting rich selling sealant tabs. For some reason they demand that they be used on the N* engine. Why would I want to risk any kind of a leak because I did not use a inexpensive sealant tab.

If my car was still under warranty and I had a head gasket issue the dealer would tell me to go pound sand if they found out the sealant wasn't used.

Ranger
08-11-05, 08:14 PM
I wonder what happens if a "niusance" leak leads to low coolant level? Low coolant level is one cause of overhaeting.

Any leak(small, medium, large) that leads to overheating could cause the head gasket to fail/leak. Therefore, using the sealant can prevent headgasket problems in a roundabout way. IMHO.

GM is not getting rich selling sealant tabs. For some reason they demand that they be used on the N* engine. Why would I want to risk any kind of a leak because I did not use a inexpensive sealant tab.

If my car was still under warranty and I had a head gasket issue the dealer would tell me to go pound sand if they found out the sealant wasn't used.
In a "roundabout way" that is correct and I would not argue with that reasoning. Remember though, that you do have a low coolant warning to prevent running low from a small external leak. My point was that the sealant tabs have nothing to do with head gaskets themselves. I didn't want Silverbullet (or anyone else) to be under the impression that the tabs will prevent or cure a head gasket problem.

mumblypeg
08-12-05, 02:06 AM
In a "roundabout way" that is correct and I would not argue with that reasoning. Remember though, that you do have a low coolant warning to prevent running low from a small external leak. My point was that the sealant tabs have nothing to do with head gaskets themselves. I didn't want Silverbullet (or anyone else) to be under the impression that the tabs will prevent or cure a head gasket problem.

That's why I joined this forum. Thanks. I never thought about the low coolant warning.

Yes, I agree, the tabs don't do anything but prevent leaks.

It's just frustrating when you are more than willing to pay to have them added and many indy shops and dealers look at you like you have three eyes in your head. I would do it myself if hadn't thrown my back out lifting a room a/c unit out of the trunk.

Eldyfig
08-12-05, 02:16 AM
...how do i know if the previous repair guy put pellets in

To answer this part of the question and nothing else...I have the green coolant if my 94. When I drain, my coolant has a dirty brown color to it from the coolant supplement. If the coolant had only a green color to it, I would suspect the supplement was not added (as the case with my old cast iron 455).

How about you guys using orange dexcool, is it brownish when you drain?

Ranger
08-12-05, 01:48 PM
I hear you mumblypeg. Knowledge is power as they say. Atleast when you go in there, you are well armed.

Eldyfig, Yes the sealant changes the Dex-cool color as well from a bright, almost flourecent orange to a dull orange.