: A odd man with a XLR showed up today

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 10:26 PM
I touched on a subject like this the other day with Nightwolf , regarding the personal Connections with cars.

As usual im standing there on the Service drive watching cars go by on the main road ,talking with everyone the normal "stoney" thing. Up pulls this Red XLR , top down and this odd man driving the car. He was probably 60ish slightly overweight and pretty much your standard "young grampa". First thing that struck me was he had the top down. It was very hot today. Second thing was how he was dressed , and how his attire matched the car only in the flamboyance of the colors. He was very nice to us all and we all were then standing there on the drive talking as the techs fussed with the on board computers. Then the story about how he got the car came up.

The guy had a wife , she saw the XLR in a magazine before it came out and fell in love with the car. The guy was apperntly wealthy enough to buy it and promptly ordered said car for his wife it was to be the 11th XLR nationwide if memory serves. The car was ordered in that lovely red color. Some things happend and somehow the car was delayed. In the meantime she used some sort of red Mustang. This is the point of the story where he dropped the bomb on us. She died before she could take delivery of the car. He didnt elbaorate on why nor did i feel we should know , but she was untimely taken and this car was left in the wake. When the car came in , he asked his gran-daughter "should we go get grammas car?"Apprently a "yes" came out somewhere.

Finnaly we knew the reason for the open top and the guy driving that didnt quite belong with the car .

With the car fixed he got in and drove off , hand waveing back at us and her personalized plate affixed to the back of the car....

This wasnt the first time one of these cars with such an emotional story adorned my drive , probably wont be the last ....its so interesting how much emotion can be in cars and in the car business.

STS 310
08-10-05, 10:33 PM
Touching, to say the least.

Elvis
08-10-05, 10:46 PM
Write a book, Stoney. That was touching.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 10:56 PM
Write a book, Stoney. That was touching.
Ive started a book , probably 7 times over the last 5 years . I hear that "write a book" alot. Its kinda scary in fact how many say it. I will someday , i love telling storys ...i just need to find a good format for it ....

STS 310
08-10-05, 11:02 PM
Well, think about it.

The thing about authors is that they can get your attention and engulf you.

You have the "raw" talent, thing is, to rememeber my first sentence.

Adumb
08-10-05, 11:02 PM
i always thought itd be cool working at a dealership. i also think that an office job would be cool too though. with all that 'sexual harrassment' stuff now im starting to change my mind. i mean come on, just just your for womens rights doesnt mean you cant have a nice rack. oops... did i say that? lol

Brett
08-10-05, 11:10 PM
have the wrestlers started showing up in their Escalade's Stoney?

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 11:13 PM
I havent seen a wrestler since eddie gurerro moved out of the house down the street from me ....

you know he is really friggin short LOL

Brett
08-10-05, 11:25 PM
ive seen them from time to time at that dealer. a few of them still live off of collier, though I forget their names. Most of them are up in dunedin area, of course the hulk is in bellair. I sat behind him at the battle of the bay recently.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 11:31 PM
I remeber years ago sitting in traffic on dale mabry and looking over ata viper beside me and seeing the hulk just waiting for traffic to move again ...

i didnt do anything ....i drove a old beat up sentra ....he coulda ripped the door off it like it was one of his shirts

Ralph
08-10-05, 11:45 PM
Sad story, but interesting.....

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 11:53 PM
Sad story, but interesting.....
Ive met 5 people like this , they were all the husband , i have yet to meet a "cadillac widow"...i really dont think i could handle it if i did ....

its so sad ...

Ralph
08-10-05, 11:55 PM
Ive met 5 people like this , they were all the husband , i have yet to meet a "cadillac widow"...i really dont think i could handle it if i did ....

its so sad ...

I'm guessing those people will keep those cars a lot longer than other people, because of the sentimental value attatched to it by them...

or they will never sell them, just pass it down in the family, etc.

addison_ii
08-10-05, 11:58 PM
Wow, that shows that sometimes cars aren't just cars. They're are our own personal time capsules. (As you mentioned the other day) It also shows the level of dedication and love the man had for his wife.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-10-05, 11:59 PM
I'm guessing those people will keep those cars a lot longer than other people, because of the sentimental value attatched to it by them...

or they will never sell them, just pass it down in the family, etc.
thats what i was exapling to wolf in another thread on why people keep them so long , those people are even here on this board ...

like i told wolf , the car becomes more than a car , a time machine , a way to go back and be in contact with those lost ...I think thats why the guy with the XLR drove it only with the top down ...so his wife could ride along

Sandy
08-11-05, 12:10 PM
That's a little bit how I am with my Sixty Special.

powerglide
08-11-05, 12:45 PM
Wow....

Adumb
08-11-05, 02:13 PM
when i bought my car, the guy selling it was telling me about his memories picking up his grandaughter from school in the car. he said she was embarrassed of the car and would make him pick her up in the back parking lot. when he was telling me that story, it really made me feel obligated to take good care of the car.

majax
08-11-05, 02:23 PM
Our STS belonged to a guys wife who passed away. He got it so they could have some fun before she passed away.

majax
08-11-05, 02:25 PM
Ive started a book , probably 7 times over the last 5 years . I hear that "write a book" alot. Its kinda scary in fact how many say it. I will someday , i love telling storys ...i just need to find a good format for it ....

Unless they are good stories you are just going to drive people nuts:thepan:

Working at this law office I hear of terrible things that people did or went through and they just have to give me every detial:bigroll: