: leaky airbag

blacksrx
08-10-05, 09:44 AM
We were traveling down the garden state parkway and got caught in a heavy down pour. My wife said "hey, where's this water coming from?" It was dripping from the little button on the right side window post that say's air bag on it.

I suspect its the roof rack to roof connection because I had just installed a Thule car top carrier. there is no way the carrier was over weighted because it only had a couple of soft bags of clothes in it and the carrier itself only weighs 38 LBs.

The vehicle is going to the dealer next week for that and some other issues next week. Should I be concerned about the integrity of the airbag and insist it be replaced?

john d
08-10-05, 01:31 PM
We were traveling down the garden state parkway and got caught in a heavy down pour. My wife said "hey, where's this water coming from?" It was dripping from the little button on the right side window post that say's air bag on it.

I suspect its the roof rack to roof connection because I had just installed a Thule car top carrier. there is no way the carrier was over weighted because it only had a couple of soft bags of clothes in it and the carrier itself only weighs 38 LBs.

The vehicle is going to the dealer next week for that and some other issues next week. Should I be concerned about the integrity of the airbag and insist it be replaced?
Sounds like a safety related issue to me.
Is it the NTSB that governs safetry recalls?
Anyway, I'm confident whatever Agency it is would be interested in your discovery.

miked
08-10-05, 02:50 PM
Sounds like water is working it's way into the A pillar over there, and then getting in at the air bag badge.

Playdrv4me
08-11-05, 04:09 PM
Thats an immediate safety concern, water and electrical connections dont mix and for it to be leaking out of that airbag insignia there has to be a fair amount trapped within door somewhere.