: Shift solonoid ?, not like in thread below

Mitoska1977
08-09-05, 08:30 PM
I have a 1996 STS- IT was doing the same as the post below, not going into overdrive, eradic shifting etc... so I bought a used transmission & had it put it. It still does the same thing!!!! so are the shift solonoids in the tranny, or somewhere else, has anbody on here written a step by step to cahnge the shift solonoids? Is there a tranny computer that can go bad? I took it to the caddy dealer after the used tranny was in & they tested it and said it had internal tranny damage? Any help is appreciated-thanks:banghead:

Ranger
08-09-05, 10:10 PM
Shift solenoids are in the trans. Drop the pan and the valve body. They are in the valve body. Do a search. There is a lengthy step by step discription on how to do it either here or on caddyinfo.

The PCM controlsd the trans.

finboy35
12-17-07, 09:36 AM
you changed it out without cheap simple fixes first.... why?

Zorb750
12-22-07, 12:48 AM
you changed it out without cheap simple fixes first.... why?

Haven't you heard people talking about their cars, and they said something like "and I put a new engine in it at xxxxx miles" or "new transmission at xxxxx miles"? People are fix larger problems than they have a LOT of the time. I know someone who put a new engine in a car because it had a coolant leak from a corroded metal plug in the block. That's easily fixable, yet the idiot owner let some dishonest schmuck mechanic sell him a new enigne.