: do I need two sets of timeserts?

soccer_eldorado
08-09-05, 05:32 PM
I've found a compression leak in one of my cylinders, so its off with the headgaskets (after loss of lots of coolant). I called the timesert 800 number to get prices, and the lady quoted me $370 for a set of ten, so I'm assuming that I need two sets since there are 20 head bolts. Also, after the head gasket job is finished, how reliable is the engine after that, I've heard stories about cracked blocks after headgasket replacements. Its a 96 eldorado. Another question, I have the pc0717 code (speed input sensor for the tranny), so with both of the heads off, would it be very accessable to open up the side of the transmission for this sensor replacement?

dkozloski
08-09-05, 06:39 PM
$370 is for the installation kit and ten inserts which will fix one head. You will need ten more inserts for the second head but you don't need another set of installation tools.

zonie77
08-09-05, 08:45 PM
Only a couple of people ever had cracks and neither was similar. I think the reliability would be very good.

zonie77
08-09-05, 08:49 PM
Are you trying to do this with the engine in the car?

soccer_eldorado
08-10-05, 01:57 AM
I'm going to give it a shot in the car, if to no avail, I'll get a hoist/cherry picker and pull the engine out (I'm in law school, so not much spare time, I'm going to drive my Lincoln the next few days and do the Cadillac over the course of a couple of weekends). Thanks for the advice, so how much would the extra 10 time serts cost in addition to the $370?

Overheated
08-10-05, 08:20 AM
I just received mine with 10 additional inserts & bill $411.77. Not a problem for Me (until Wife finds out). You need to do more research (not at Law Library). If you don't, you should have it done by the time you finnish Law School.

zonie77
08-10-05, 11:27 AM
Did you look at the N* head gasket thread in the tech tips? Only one person did it in car and said he wouldn't do it again but it can be done.

It's easier to drop the cradle, which is the way the factory recommends, but you need the room to do it.

soccer_eldorado
08-10-05, 01:06 PM
Yes, I've looked over tons of threads about headgaskets. I live in student housing, so I have to do the repair out there. I've done a head gasket job before on a Lincoln, so a little experience. I will however get a shop manual before I tackle the problem. I'm afraid that if I get the engine out of the car, I'll get it stolen (here in Miami, Cadillacs are stolen all the time, and then discarded after there engines are pulled.)

dkozloski
08-10-05, 02:05 PM
Maybe there's something to be learned there from a potential client. Maybe you can work out a trade.

Benjamin Simon
09-11-05, 03:25 PM
My block cracked durning the head gasket job.

zonie77
09-11-05, 05:49 PM
It cracked during the job or was found during the job?

bill6ft6
09-24-05, 08:57 AM
maybe you can devote your future law career to class action against gm on an OBVIOUS DESIGN FLAW!!!! sure would like to know the percentage of northstars that fail this way. "oh, it's a head gasket" BULLSHIT it's a failure of the headbolts to hold the frigging head on. then gm's denial of it all until they improved it in 2002.

bill
97 deville that broke my heart.
driving 560 sel now

zonie77
09-24-05, 11:13 AM
At work the discussion was head gaskets...no one mentioned Caddys! LOL!

I've mentioned Mercedes because my friends went out. You'd have to sue all car companies and the head gasket mfgs too.

Maybe we should go back to horse and buggy?

mcowden
09-24-05, 12:44 PM
maybe you can devote your future law career to class action against gm on an OBVIOUS DESIGN FLAW!!!! sure would like to know the percentage of northstars that fail this way. "oh, it's a head gasket" BULLSHIT it's a failure of the headbolts to hold the frigging head on. then gm's denial of it all until they improved it in 2002.

bill
97 deville that broke my heart.
driving 560 sel now

Sorry to hear about your heartbreak, Bill, but no matter how tall you are, you are also wrong. The problem has generally been attributed to corrosion of the head gaskets by improper or lack of maintenance of the cooling system. The head bolts may be a problem, but they are not the cause of the head gasket problems. Obviously, they changed the design, so something made them think it could be done better. The gaskets have also changed, so it seems you forgot to include that in your calculations. Curious, at how many miles did your 97 DeVille "break your heart?"

cadiheartbroken
12-07-05, 06:14 PM
SOCCER EL DORADO i also stay in miami florida..........hiealeah to be exact yo i got the same problem with my cadi so i was wonderin how did it go with urs?? u fixed it?

samm
12-08-05, 04:06 PM
just so this doesn't happen to me, how do you do maintenance on the cooling system? flush it? replace hoses? BTW what kind of flusher stuff do you guys recommend for cleaning the coolant system?

ewill3rd
12-08-05, 07:15 PM
Drain and refill is better than nothing, we use a BG flushing machine and fill it with new 50/50 Dex mix.
Most of the ones we see come through are not properly maintained and suffered overheating due to lack of maintenance or a severe leak that was ignored for too long.
That's not to say that a well maintained car CAN'T have this happen, nor to say that it's never happened to a well maintained car.
It's a high compression multi-valve engine that delivers lots of performance and halfway decent fuel economy. It's not perfect but it has had what I consider to be a decent track record.

The engine is designed in such a way that it's 100 times easier to lower the engine and trans together out the bottom sitting on the cradle, we have "engine tables" that the cradle and powertrain sit on, and our techs work on them just like that. Engine and trans still bolted together, they just rip the heads off and go to work. I can't imagine trying to do this in the car.
One major problem you are going to have is the timing chains. Taking the heads off will require a lot of work to reset the timing and I almost doubt that without some serious toolage that you'll be able to get the harmonic balancer off. I think the torque spec is 37 lb. ft. plus 120 degrees of rotation, that's pretty freakin' tight, believe me.
They make chain holding tools but you'll need two of them and you'll have to mark everything and set it up.
Plus drilling the block straight is going to be a challenge in the car and it's quite critical.
I wish you all the best on that job!

samm
12-09-05, 12:26 PM
jeez, wish i never crack the head on mine.

bcs296
12-16-05, 09:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your heartbreak, Bill, but no matter how tall you are, you are also wrong. The problem has generally been attributed to corrosion of the head gaskets by improper or lack of maintenance of the cooling system. The head bolts may be a problem, but they are not the cause of the head gasket problems. Obviously, they changed the design, so something made them think it could be done better. The gaskets have also changed, so it seems you forgot to include that in your calculations. Curious, at how many miles did your 97 DeVille "break your heart?"

This may be true but I know there are millions of cars out there that probably went their entire lives without having "proper cool system maintenance" and never blew the head gasket.