: Argh, bumpers should be designed to bump things

Wagoneer
08-08-05, 02:16 PM
My wife bumped a pillar near the garage door going about 2 mph. It was so minor that all the scratches in the paint buffed out perfectly ... BUT, a clip holding the fog light assembly in place cracked from the deformation of the plastic bumper. The clip is integrated into the bumper cover, and the dealer wants $1000 to replace the whole front assembly.

Crazy.

In fact, that's how I intend to repair it if the dealer can't come up with something. Crazy glue. I hope to save about $996.

john d
08-08-05, 02:37 PM
If the crazy doesn't work try gorilla glue.
At one time it was only available thru speciality catalog sales.
Saw it at Home Depot last week.
I found you can build it up like bondo on the first application and it even replaces "keepers and tabs" that cracked or broke off completly.
May even try it first if you have yet to buy the "crazy".
Of course there's epoxy putty too; but don't know if it will adhere to plastic or painted plastic.

sgilbert
08-08-05, 02:47 PM
Personally, I don't like Gorilla glue because it "bubbles", expands, and is orange! My favorite is Goop. Try Automotive Goop. Sort of like RTV on steroids!

SRXSTEVE
08-11-05, 10:48 PM
better yet try J B weld, 2 part epoxy at home depot of ace is the best stuff, u can repair a hole in an engine block with this crap, easy to use sets fast 4hrs