: 1985 Eldorado

fullserviceman
08-08-05, 04:44 AM
I always wanted the 79 to 85 eldorado style so this april I bought 1. I put a ton of parts into the car and it runs and looks great. I absolutely hate to drive it though because of its severe lack of power (HT4100) it is extremely hard to find any junkyard parts for being that all the 85's in NY have been dissolved in the past 20 years. I do like the ride but find the steering to effortless and the brakes are new yet still you need to leave lot of room in front incase of an emergency stop. I also do not feel comfort in the way the seats are. I feel like im sitting in the back seat driving but my gut hits the steering wheel. It is now time to sell this beast for the first $1200 bid on Ebay I think and replace it with my 88 Eldo that was given to me and has everything new except the engine on it. Next time I would probably go with a brougham or a 80 to 84 coupe deville.

Lord Cadillac
08-10-05, 06:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken, you can increase the timing on those cars for added power. It does make a difference.. You just have to make SURE you use high octane fuel as the 4100 (again, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a knock sensor..

illumina
08-11-05, 12:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can increase the timing on those cars for added power. It does make a difference.. You just have to make SURE you use high octane fuel as the 4100 (again, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a knock sensor..

True this is, but when advancing the timing, she must be put into 'set timing mode.' I'm not sure where to do it on the fuller sized bodies, but it might be the same as the '86 on up Cadillacs via the ALDL connector. The exact instructions for timing adjustment should be on the emissions control label under the hood. Also, the safe bet for the '85 Eldo is about an advance of three degrees. No more.

And yes, when advancing the timing, she will need the premium fuel. If you'd like to stave off detonation for sure, a 180 degree thermostat might be a good idea, but not entirely necessary.

fullserviceman
08-13-05, 12:44 PM
Mine is already advanced about as far as it could go w/o pinging on 93 octane. But also a month ago premium fuel was $2.50 a gallon and today i see it was $2.88. Getting hard to drive the old beasts at all.

jps342
04-28-06, 05:53 PM
i have a 88 ElDorado & would like to reset my timing too , but i can't find my ALDL socket at all ??? any ideas were it is ??? thanks

Edahall
04-28-06, 06:59 PM
It located under the dasboard just above the emergency brake pedal