: Taking the Boy camping

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 11:14 PM
Well guys, as of Tuesday i will be camping with the boy. McCombie_6 and i are going to Scotland with a Deville full of camping gear :D (taking the wifes, its got more fuel in it) a three and a half hour journey is good in the Deville, nice comfortable and good for the job. Hoping to catch some fish too. Wish me luck, and see y'all when we get back. Viewing a 1993 Eldo for _6 on the way home, he can drive next year :) :wave:

addison_ii
08-07-05, 11:33 PM
Good luck guys. Drive Safe and hope the car is as described.

tru504187211
08-08-05, 12:23 AM
Planning on taking any pics of the area you are camping in??

ben72227
08-08-05, 12:40 AM
Camping in Scotland...Interesting indeed. I would love to see some pics of your Deville next to a tent with Ben Stack in the background:histeric:

TomDeville
08-08-05, 01:29 AM
I hope that you have an
exceptionally rewarding, and
safe trip.
I also wish you luck in the catch,
kill ;and, eating fish department.
You have a lucky boy there. I
trust that he duly appreciates
and respects you.
If you can possibly enable us to look at
the countryside, please do; including but
not limited to some rolling green hills; and,
some dark lake shots, which would
be particularly nice.

Best Regards,

TomDeville
:coolgleam

majax
08-08-05, 02:57 AM
My dad would never take me camping...but oh well he did get me a good job. How old is your son? I find it interesting that there is room to camp in the UK. I am sure it is probably bigger than I think.

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 07:27 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. Scotland is...umm....cold :) but its good fishing, if i can prise the camera from my sons hands i will be shooting some. Majax, there are about five million people in Scotland, but if you count the big cities, Edindurgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dumfries and Fife, the rest is empty. Its one big racetrack, i mean, beautiful country ;)
All there is, roads, sheep, cows and water. Plenty of space to put a tent. My son is he same age as you Majax. My wife and daughter are in Paris for a few days, so we are in Scotland :) Who got the raw deal? :hmm: :helpless:

Boombotz
08-08-05, 08:38 AM
Have a great trip. Don't come back with any stories of the big one that got away. We all know you have a camera and won't believe you without some pics. Do you have like hiking trails and stuff where you are going? What's it like camping there? What is there to do? I'm just curious if it is really like camping here in the states or completly different? Well have a good time, and watch out for the bears if there are any. Julie

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 09:16 AM
Have a great trip. Don't come back with any stories of the big one that got away. We all know you have a camera and won't believe you without some pics. Do you have like hiking trails and stuff where you are going? What's it like camping there? What is there to do? I'm just curious if it is really like camping here in the states or completly different? Well have a good time, and watch out for the bears if there are any. Julie

Thank you for your well wishes. No bears though, just sheep :lildevil:

Well, you can hike there if you want to, its quite coastal where were going, its basic, but enjoyable, i once owned a motorhome and gave it up because it defeated the whole object of camping outdoors. All we are taking is a three man tent, the appropriate camping equipment, and fishing gear. Its all you need. You could hike there, but fishing is a major thing in that part of the country, although i do not have good sea legs! i will be staying on dry land. It is also very much a driving country, and there are some very fun roads there if you havea sports car, but because it is a 3-4 hour drive (if you go at mccombie speed its a 3;)) were taking the Deville. It is very much fun to catch your own lunch :) and it is satisfying to get out of the house and into the rough. Sctland is a beautiful place, and hasnt chaged for hundereds of years, the place where the boy and i are going, is nothingness, there is a small town, but not alot else, it is just being at one with nature. Scotland has this terrible allure for me, and i am drawn there every year. This will be the first time ive taken the lad, as his mother wouldnt let me because of the climbing involved to get to some of the fishing marks. Ive taken the week off work and im only taking the phone in case of an emergency. No contact :)

Im currently working on packing everything into the car so its ready for an early departure. My silly wife.....left it with a full tank of fuel

majax
08-08-05, 02:17 PM
I am sure one tank will get you there and back just fine! Hope everything goes good.

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 02:35 PM
Plus use while im there, if not ill put another tank in, the only one of my cars with anything above a half tank in it is the Vauxhall.And that isnt taking us to scotland

majax
08-08-05, 02:42 PM
I am sure the Vauxhaul will get you to Scotland just not back alive. ;)

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 02:44 PM
I am sure the Vauxhaul will get you to Scotland just not back alive. ;)

hahaha! It is surprisingly good on those roads, having a sports set up helps. Just want to make sure all is good before i drive it on roads that have a 400 foot drop on one side

majax
08-08-05, 02:54 PM
Are you going to be up pretty high or on sea level?

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 02:57 PM
It is nearer sea level, but the roads to get there have drops of 400+ on one side of them, i remember the first time i went i was hammering an RWD minibus round there in the snow, it was dark, so i didnt know there was a drop, until i drove back in the daylight....

Kev
08-08-05, 03:02 PM
hahaha! It is surprisingly good on those roads, having a sports set up helps. Just want to make sure all is good before i drive it on roads that have a 400 foot drop on one sideJust watch out for those potholes!

Adam
08-08-05, 03:07 PM
Viewing a 1993 Eldo for _6 on the way home, he can drive next year :) :wave:

oh he'll love that car. those things are pretty fun to drive. good luck on the trip brother, you two have fun. fishing sounds fun, i might go later on today.

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 03:11 PM
Just watch out for those potholes!
No need :D taking the DHS......

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 03:14 PM
oh he'll love that car. those things are pretty fun to drive. good luck on the trip brother, you two have fun. fishing sounds fun, i might go later on today.

Thanks....

Well, he can legally drve it next year, but theres no harm in letting the kid have a go right? i mean hes been driving my cars since he was 13

Stoneage_Caddy
08-08-05, 09:32 PM
No need :D taking the DHS......
NO !

you need to watch for the potholes ...otherwise you wont know you hit them ....

anyway , do catch some of those nice trout !

Ralph
08-08-05, 09:45 PM
Have a good trip!!! :)

mccombie_5
08-09-05, 05:55 AM
NO !

you need to watch for the potholes ...otherwise you wont know you hit them ....

anyway , do catch some of those nice trout !

hahaha! Yes, although the roads i take are overall well maintained, there are some hairy bits. Ordinarily i would take the Vectra as it is my "working" car, but after the power steering went out, i dont want to risk it at 400+ drops, all is in the car, ive had the biggest breakfast youve ever seen (it was really huge) and im all for the off ive even been thoughtful and packed a bag full of goodies to eat on the way, and ive been making cds :sneaky: the boy is going to be soooo pleased with me :p :helpless:

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 03:11 PM
I make my return! Many fish, great time all around, at one with nature.....me and the boy against the rest of it. Just thought id let you guys know im back to the forums :D

majax
08-14-05, 04:59 PM
Nothing weird or bad happend?

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 05:03 PM
Nothing weird or bad happend?

Not at all, i got sunburn though, and had to sleep in the car for a few nights because my face was sticking to the airbed in the tent. Otherwise all went very well :D

EDIT: i forgot to lock the car when we went fishing on a peir, and someone went in and stole my bottle of diet coke....
which i was peeved about

Adam
08-14-05, 05:12 PM
Not at all, i got sunburn though, and had to sleep in the car for a few nights because my face was sticking to the airbed in the tent. Otherwise all went very well :D

do what? cars and air beds on a camping trip? that aint right! im guessing you had gps devices and thinks like that :suspect: :nono:. microwaves and generators? sheesh...

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 05:19 PM
do what? cars and air beds on a camping trip? that aint right! im guessing you had gps devices and thinks like that :suspect: :nono:. microwaves and generators? sheesh...

Its the kids first time! im giving him a false sence of security.....
Well the place we camped is rural, you need the car.... and we didnt take the Deville as planned, I decided to change our plans to places that are only get-to-able with a 4x4. So we took the Range Rover. The air beds are a small luxury..... i usually just sleep in a sleeping bag in the tent.
Many fish, mainly:
Dogfish
Pollock
Rass
CONGER!

addison_ii
08-14-05, 05:21 PM
Glad to hear you guys made it back. No almost getting eaten stories? How about some pics? No strippers clad only in leaves? Ok maybe that last one was over the top.:D

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 05:28 PM
Glad to hear you guys made it back. No almost getting eaten stories? How about some pics? No strippers clad only in leaves? Ok maybe that last one was over the top.:D

Very few pictures due to the fact i left the damn memory card at home, theres a one with the boy holding a relatively small fish..... a Rass i think.
The Conger put up a fight though, it was about 4 feet long....
We went to the bar on one night, i was half expecting to see the mentioned strippers. Unfortunately there were just old people and dogs. And caravans the size of houses.
We stayed on the banks of Loch Ryan. Quite nice. I would like to show you some pictures of the countryside in Scotland but they are all too large to be attatchments

Boombotz
08-14-05, 07:10 PM
:welcome: back mccombie-5. Glad you were able to spend quality time with the son. :thumbsup:

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 07:17 PM
:welcome: back mccombie-5. Glad you were able to spend quality time with the son. :thumbsup:

yes i am too :D

Well im still not happy about the diet coke

Ralph
08-14-05, 07:25 PM
Glad you're back! Did you see any bears, moose or beavers??

:D

mccombie_5
08-14-05, 07:31 PM
Glad you're back! Did you see any bears, moose or beavers??

:D

are you trying to implicate the Scottish women? :sneaky:

No bears, or anything else. Nothing so exotic. ummm i saw a heron. had a good time all round. You should see the peir i was fishing from on the first night. there was 20 foot pieces of foot thick concrete that had just dropped into the sea. that was scary. It wasnt that bad last time i was there. Next time i'll take a picture.