: 2009 Buick Lucerne Headgasket

JoeTahoe
03-21-14, 11:29 PM
I was just talking to one of the owners of a Northstar powered eldo that I fixed. He works for a local wrecker company witch also has a Garage and body shop, pretty good size company. He told me that the garage had a 2009 Northstar Powered Buick in there for head gaskets. They just replaced gaskets I don't know the story on this but it is the newest I have heard of failing. But they did not insert or stud. I know could be just a bad gasket but made me think are the newer ones going to start having failures too. Before this one the newest I have heard about failing was a 2007. bill for repair was $3500.

basscatt
03-22-14, 12:46 AM
I was just talking to one of the owners of a Northstar powered eldo that I fixed. He works for a local wrecker company witch also has a Garage and body shop, pretty good size company. He told me that the garage had a 2009 Northstar Powered Buick in there for head gaskets. They just replaced gaskets I don't know the story on this but it is the newest I have heard of failing. But they did not insert or stud. I know could be just a bad gasket but made me think are the newer ones going to start having failures too. Before this one the newest I have heard about failing was a 2007. bill for repair was $3500.

---------------------
I wouldn't be too concerned about it -

look in the Eldo and Deville forums -
note the number of head gasket failures in the pre 2000 models -
then compare that to 2000 to 2004 units -
then compare that to the 2005 and newer -

it went from fairly common - to pretty rare - to almost unheard of -

I imagine the post 2004 Northstar head gasket failure rate
is the same as any other aluminum-head engine -

maeng9981
03-22-14, 03:31 AM
All engines equipped with head gaskets have chance of blowing head gaskets.

JoeTahoe
03-22-14, 08:48 AM
yes but as we all know every one that doesn't know what most of us that own this beautiful engine. will blame the the famous theory that all northstar engines are junk. None of them scare me off if it a well taking care of car I would not hesitate to buy any Northstar powered car.

Ranger
03-22-14, 11:16 AM
'00 - '04 HG failures are not common. '04+ are pretty rare. I'm with Maeng. Anything is possible and this one is probably an unlucky rarity.

Aztec ETC ECS
03-22-14, 04:05 PM
Which one looks more likely to blow a gasket?

Early open deck:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/Parallax1/1569_3mg.jpg

Late closed deck:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/PCMCalibrator/Northstar/44L%20SC/44Lupperblock.jpg

JoeTahoe
03-22-14, 06:32 PM
I love that closed deck design

Ranger
03-22-14, 08:49 PM
:yeah:

I'll never understand why GM didn't stick with a tried & true design. That damned Northstar would have been indestructible and envied by all.

drewsdeville
03-22-14, 10:57 PM
:yeah:

I'll never understand why GM didn't stick with a tried & true design. That damned Northstar would have been indestructible and envied by all.

I doubt it. The Northstar had some stiff competition that it would have merely matched had reliability improved. Nissan, for instance, had their own identically performing 32 valve 4.5 'VH' V8 throughout the same years , and it was quite durable despite it's cutting edge technology that surpassed even the Northstar. Yet, it quietly disappeared into history - along with Ford's venerable Intech V8 and other similar competition.

That said, a lack of reputation is still better than a negative reputation, I suppose.

04GrandAmGT
03-24-14, 11:42 AM
our order list begs to differ that 00-04 has any less chance of blowing HG, though 04 + is a little rarer we are still getting orders for them