: coolant level

starfox86
08-07-05, 06:28 PM
Hey , just curious how much coolant it takes to fill an empty engine?....I have put about 2 and 1/4 big bottles in and it still looks like it needs some. and I get a low coolent level warning. This seems like alot!...or maybe im just not used to the v8..hah....I got my engine running but it gradually goes up in degrees and once it hits 250 i shut it off ( this is in park)...I replaced the cap and I know the thermostat is good. and theres No leaks. just wondering what the temp should be if its about 90 outside?...cause its hot down here in florida!...and can someone tell me what the sensor does on the oil filter adapter?....mines off right now. I need to get it replaced.

Ranger
08-07-05, 06:47 PM
Northstar?
I forget the exact coolant capacity but 2 1/4 gal. is pretty close. 250 is waay to high. I run 206 @ 90 deg OAT (outside air temp). Are your cooling fans working? Radiator air flow good? Water pump belt tensionor free? Purge line clear?

The "sensor" on the oil filter adapter is not a sensor. It is the oil pressure switch.

starfox86
08-07-05, 07:26 PM
soo, maybe thats why its raising the temp?...because the oil pressure switch?...It's being replaced tomorrow. and the purge line?..how do I check that?

zonie77
08-07-05, 07:54 PM
The fans should come on at 225. If they aren't that's the problem. You'll have to find why not.

Ranger
08-07-05, 09:21 PM
Oil pressure switch should have nothing to do with coolant temp.

The purge line is the 3/8" line that runs from the water pump along the front cam cover to the surge tank. Start the engine and remove it at the surge tank. There should be a steady coolant flow. If there isn't, then there is a blockage and the system will not purge any air in it and may overheat. If it is not flowing, remove the line and clear any blockage either in the line or at the hollow bolt where it mounts on the pump end.

SupremeHustler
09-24-05, 06:35 PM
So the purge line check, once it's disconnected and you start the car, should the flow start immediately or start flowing once the car gets warmed up?

Ranger
09-27-05, 04:14 PM
It should flow immediately.