: 2005 Deville oil pan seal leak

Geo4
03-20-14, 08:06 PM
I have an 2005 Deville in great shape, I just found out my car needs the oil pan seal replacement this came to light as my wife went to a Chev dealer for an oil change, I knew it was leaking oil from somewhere even after replacing the valve cover gaskets .
At the chev dealer the service guy showed her the leak coming from the seal the price was 2300 to replace it. The Cadillac Dealer told me 3800 and another high quality shop price it at 3500 rough guess he said. Each one of the service shops said it be 2 to 3 days and said the engine had to come out etc. The Cadillac dealer even asked if the car was in good shape and if it was to fix it but if not in good shape do not fix .I have decided to have the Chev dealer replace the seal and reason it cheaper then a new car or used car and my wife drives it all the time and on trips she never check the oil.. which could lead to more trouble.
I did read on here the information that Submariner409 posted and the Chev dealer and Cadillac deal said the same when I asked about how they would fix it.. Thanks to all the experts on here who helps us out.George

Ranger
03-20-14, 09:52 PM
How much oil is it leaking? You can buy a LOT of oil for that money. My daughters '04 SLS is leaking as well. I just consider it rust prevention.

Geo4
03-20-14, 11:12 PM
Ranger that is very true.it not leaking much at all . and maybe I should think of it like you do seems I worry too much about stuff like that wish I didn`t and I value your input ..

Geo4
03-21-14, 09:26 AM
I told my wife that I am going be driving the Deville and keep a close eye on the oil usage. Last year on the trip to Florida and to Cincinnati the car did not use any oil.
Nope I do not want to spend the 2300.
So we see how much it is leaking.
One stupid question that seal could only leak if the car is running ? Just park there wouldn't be a lot of oil leaking maybe a few drops?

Submariner409
03-21-14, 10:29 AM
Geo4, I moved your question and advice to its own thread.

Ranger
03-21-14, 10:55 AM
One stupid question that seal could only leak if the car is running ? Just park there wouldn't be a lot of oil leaking maybe a few drops?
Common leak points are the oil filter adapter or the oil pressure switch (both cheap and easy fixes). The much more costly repair would be the halfcase seal, oil pan gasket or a rear main. Where exactly are you finding these oil drops?

Geo4
03-21-14, 12:01 PM
Everything under the car oil pan,bottom of the engine is covered in oil. I looked under the car and saw some oil on the bottom of the oil filter. My garage floor only has a small area of oil on it. The Deville is parked in the same place each night. I am going change the oil and try to clean the engine off and see where it coming from and I let you know what I find and how much oil is leaking.

Submariner409
03-21-14, 03:21 PM
Oil on the filter points straight at the filter gasket, oil pressure sending switch or oil filter adapter block seal assembly.

Up on a lift, lower air deflector removed (the centers of the plastic retainers lift out, out they come), and hand tools with small hands and magic words.

Pictures and diagrams in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the two with the red Seville. 6 pages.

Ranger
03-21-14, 03:34 PM
:yeah: You may get off real cheap and easy.

Geo4
03-21-14, 11:37 PM
Drove the car home today ,after parking it I could smell the strong odor of burnt oil. I will clean it off and check to see if it leaking from one of those places .thanks george

basscatt
03-22-14, 02:10 AM
Everything under the car oil pan,bottom of the engine is covered in oil. I looked under the car and saw some oil on the bottom of the oil filter. My garage floor only has a small area of oil on it. The Deville is parked in the same place each night. I am going change the oil and try to clean the engine off and see where it coming from and I let you know what I find and how much oil is leaking.
--------------------------
My garage floor only has a small area of oil on it.
that says all I need to form my opinion -
live with the leak -

sure - check it out -

if you really want to PINPOINT the leaks -
you can have a UV dye added to the engine oil -

have the engine cleaned REALLY REALLY GOOD - from the bottom -

add the UV dye to the engine oil -
YES - it is completely safe -
it is a small amount of inert dye that glows under black light -

NO you don't have to drain the oil when you are finished looking for the leaks -

drive the car for 100 - 200 - 500 - 1000 miles - whatever -

inspect it with a black light -

-----------------

if there are a couple cheap-to-fix leaks - fix them -

if the leaks are main seals - oil pan - half-case seal - etc - EXPENSIVE to fix leaks -
keep an eye on the oil level - add when necessary -

as far as running out completely -
I doubt that could happen -

our engines hold 7 1/2 quarts of oil -
there is a level switch built into the oil pan -
if the oil level gets down to around 5 quarts -
a warning message is displayed on the DIC -
CHECK OIL LEVEL - kind of hard to miss -

Geo4
03-22-14, 08:21 AM
Thank you that advice about the dye was my next question.

Geo4
03-23-14, 02:28 PM
This morning I decided to change the oil and filter in the Deville. Jacking it up a bit of course I had the great pleasure of watching the jack that came with the car do a slow motion twisting and folding onto it self complete worthless.
After this I got another bigger jack and raised the car up a bit got the 13mm wrench and tried to take the oil plug out it seem a lot to big, I was sure the bolt size was 13mm but maybe I forgot so swap the for 10 mm and it seemed to small, I tried to force the 10 mm on and it seemed that the oil drain plug turned a bit. Come to find out when I tied to use my fingers to unscrew the plug it started to turn kindly tight but I still got it off with my fingers. Seems the plug. Was or had loosening over time. Or else the service guy started too change oil and didn't because of the oil leaking. Any it is tight now and fresh oil in engine. Now I am deciding on to do the dye test or not and what type of jack to buy for the trunk.

Ranger
03-23-14, 10:32 PM
The drain plug is 15mm.

The jack that came with the car is for emergency only. You just found out why it should NEVER be used for maintenance.

vincentm
03-24-14, 01:08 AM
Id get a 3 ton jack, and a set of 3 ton stands.

Submariner409
03-24-14, 06:30 AM
Yeah that ^^^

NEVER, under any circumstances, for any reason, even in emergency - get any part of your body in or under a car that has been jacked up with the provided scissors jack. NEVER.

Buy a decent 2 or 3 ton hydraulic floor jack and a pair of jackstands, read the GM service manual to find the best jacking points for your car .......... If you try to jack these cars using the wrong body metal tabs and pads you WILL buckle fenders, doors, or crush stuff like brake lines, emissions hoses, fuel lines, or electrical harnesses.

You need to find the correct drain plug size for your engine, properly tighten that plug, and make sure you have filled the oil pan to the proper level. 7.5 quarts including filter.

Have you studied the Cadillac Technical Archive way up ^^^ in the top black bar ? There is info there that you NEED to know.

Know before you go.

Geo4
03-24-14, 04:00 PM
Ranger the dang jack didn't get half way up. Don't know why I used it guess it best that I found out how worthless that jack was in my garage then on an highway. What a piece of junk.
I did fill up with 7.5 quarts of oil .. Dye is going in and we see what the leak is. And a heavy duty jack in the trunk ..