: What sedans and coupes are wide enough to sleep in?

Jesda
08-07-05, 09:54 AM
I'm looking for a big, stylish, and especially wide car to use for driving across the country. One unfortunate thing about the Q, I discovered, is how the rear seat has a center hump which makes sleeping on it at a rest area unbelievably uncomfortable. Hotels seem like a waste to me.

I guess the itch I had for a convertible went away, so what cars out there have wide and flat rear seats?

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for a big, stylish, and especially wide car to use for driving across the country. One unfortunate thing about the Q, I discovered, is how the rear seat has a center hump which makes sleeping on it at a rest area unbelievably uncomfortable. Hotels seem like a waste to me.

I guess the itch I had for a convertible went away, so what cars out there have wide and flat rear seats?

Most older cadillacs:)

Elvis
08-07-05, 10:02 AM
I think you can probably sleep well enough in a '96 Fleetwood.

Spend the money on the hotel room. People mysteriously disappear from rest areas all the time.

c5 rv
08-07-05, 10:25 AM
I could probably sleep in the backseat of my fullsize GMC extended cab pickup. I'd have to lay on my side and curl up a bit, though.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 10:35 AM
I think you can probably sleep well enough in a '96 Fleetwood.

Spend the money on the hotel room. People mysteriously disappear from rest areas all the time.

The fleetwood was the only one that really struck me. take a fleetwood Jesda:)

Stoneage_Caddy
08-07-05, 10:59 AM
yah i have to curl my legs just a little to sleep int he deville , which oddly enough i do at least 2-3 times a year , i sleep in it at racetracks , like for the 12 hours of sebring and 24 hours of daytona...

But i modded my front seats and with the headrests removed they will lay back to 180 degrees and meet the rear set ...making a pretty neat bed

slk230mb
08-07-05, 11:55 AM
yah i have to curl my legs just a little to sleep int he deville , which oddly enough i do at least 2-3 times a year , i sleep in it at racetracks , like for the 12 hours of sebring and 24 hours of daytona...

But i modded my front seats and with the headrests removed they will lay back to 180 degrees and meet the rear set ...making a pretty neat bed

Got any pics of that setup Stoney?

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 12:21 PM
What if you got a car with a folding rear seat Jesda? Then you could put all of your luggage down, say the left hand side of the car, the slide in next to it and sleep on the right hand side in a sleeping bag of some sort. Ive done it many times in my youth when lost in Scotland or driving a car that broke on me and left me stranded

Jesda
08-07-05, 01:12 PM
I lived in a 1995 Mazda 626 for a while, and I did fold down the rear seatback and snuggle in there with a sleeping bag, most of my body in the trunk. Definitely a small car, and oddly I was able to get some sleep. But, the hard surface is nothing compared to the cushy back seat of a large car.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 01:17 PM
I lived in a 1995 Mazda 626 for a while, and I did fold down the rear seatback and snuggle in there with a sleeping bag, most of my body in the trunk. Definitely a small car, and oddly I was able to get some sleep. But, the hard surface is nothing compared to the cushy back seat of a large car.
lay some pillows out:) or put a thick duvet in then lie on that. The 626? small? what! That is the same size as my vectra, that is considered a larger family car here... I could comfortably sleep in my vectra that way, it also means people cant see your entire body which i dont like when you sleep in the passenger part of a car do any older cadillacs have a folding back seat?

Vesicant
08-07-05, 01:17 PM
The seats in the Catera recline alll the way back and even hit the back seat. You can sit lowww and it makes a great bed chair-bed.

Ive slept on the backseat, but its got the Q's issue of the rise in the middle to make way for the driveshaft underneath.

But leave the Catera out of the option list.

How tall are you?

ben72227
08-07-05, 01:35 PM
Get a Motel 6 room if you're worried about price. Sleeping at rest stops is a no-no. Remember what happened to Michael Jordan's Dad???

addison_ii
08-07-05, 02:12 PM
Get a Motel 6 room if you're worried about price. Sleeping at rest stops is a no-no. Remember what happened to Michael Jordan's Dad???

On the way up to MN my wife and I stopped at a few rest areas, I dozed off a few times but couldn't really sleep because of thought of something like that happening. If you must do it, then choose one where it's wide open and well lit. Keep some type of protection with you also. But I agree with Ben about Motel 6.
BTW I'd say Fleetwoods(any year), Olds 98(92-96),Devilles(89-current),Park Avenues(91-current) Most SUVs(cargo area or 2nd 3rd row seats)Caprices,Road masters.

Playdrv4me
08-07-05, 06:31 PM
Im used to taking full 24 hour road trips now since I go to Kansas from PA all the time, and I NEVER stay at a rest stop for more than 2-3 hours at a time. I definitely get sufficient sleep to stay alert, but dont waste so much time or risk so much by spending too long at the rest stops. I also park next to other people who I can tell are sleeping in well lit areas. Power in numbers.

Rest Areas are also obvious targets, sometimes if I MUST pull off to sleep, I will actually avoid the rest areas, or I wont be close enough to them, so Ill pull off and find a little area where the truck drivers are parked together to sleep, and Ill pull in there next to them. Never had a problem with that either.

Coolest thing about the Avalanche I had? You can either get out and sleep fully extended on the bed cover with a pillow... OR you CAN lay across the backseat traditionally, OR you can lower the midgate and rear seats and have your feet in the bed compartment and your head where the rear seats are. Very versatile truck indeed.

Ralph
08-07-05, 06:40 PM
In my 1970 Plymouth Fury, I could lay in the trunk flat, and my head or toes wouldn't touch the sides!! Same for the back seat!

you could open the trunk with a plastic spoon! :cookoo:

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 06:50 PM
What about a Maybach 62? :p

majax
08-07-05, 06:51 PM
It is not hard at all to sleep in an '89 - '93 Deville. I would prefer flatening the front seat than laying in the back. Of course, isnt it unhealthy to sleep with your legs below your core? Ralph may know.

how do you open a trunk witha plastic spoon...

Ralph
08-07-05, 06:56 PM
how do you open a trunk witha plastic spoon...

A plastic spoon, a nickel, a pocketknife, screwdriver etc. Anything with a flat end would open the lock up. It came with a round key (I think?) that was for the glovebox and trunk, but I never needed it. Nothing was safe in that car. :helpless:

majax
08-07-05, 06:59 PM
What about a Maybach 62? :p

Good idea and those are very affordablehttp://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/yup.gif

addison_ii
08-07-05, 07:05 PM
A plastic spoon, a nickel, a pocketknife, screwdriver etc. Anything with a flat end would open the lock up. It came with a round key (I think?) that was for the glovebox and trunk, but I never needed it. Nothing was safe in that car. :helpless:

So basically you had to use what's commonly referred to as the**ghetto master key**? I had a 79 Monte Carlo that I had to use the GMK on to get in the trunk. It came in handy sometimes though, like when I left my keys in the trunk.:)
You should have put a snake pit in the trunk. That way if anyone broke into it they'd get a nice surprise.:yup:

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 07:13 PM
Good idea and those are very affordablehttp://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gifhttp://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/yup.gif

In all fairness (unless i totally missed something) Jesda didnt say where he was getting the car from....
Here are the options:
Buying: cheapest biggest most comfortable car possible
Borrowing: Biggest most comfortable car he find
Renting: Biggest, relatively cheap and most comfortable
Stealing: Maybach:p

In all seriousness, America make the biggest cars in theworld, so something from the late 80s early 90s would do the trick, top of the line luxury, with soft seats
so buicks, cadillacs, Plymouths, oldsmobiles, chryslers, Lincolns.. alll of that. And also....what about an old Volvo?

Adam
08-07-05, 08:11 PM
The fleetwood was the only one that really struck me. take a fleetwood Jesda:)

:crying: Im so... :crying:... proud :crying:.

i concur (sp?) a nice 96 Fleetwood Brougham.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 08:21 PM
:crying: Im so... :crying:... proud :crying:.

i concur (sp?) a nice 96 Fleetwood Brougham.

Youre working me lowlow! I really did see the thread and think, a fleetwood would do the job, from that picture you showed me if a car can take three people in the FRONT the back will inevetably be biiger or at elast the same size :) heheheh

Adam
08-07-05, 08:26 PM
man let me tell you, when we used to go cruise, everyone would jump into my car. inpart cause it was a lowrider and all the girls were sick of sitting in those uncomfortable riced out cars. so it would be me, 5 girls and about 2-3 of my buddies in the Fleetwood at one time. trying hopping while driving with a pretty girl in your lap! on second thought, dont becuase your wife might get mad. seriously, i have had 8 people in my car at one time. so yeah, the back seat has plenty of room.

addison_ii
08-07-05, 08:28 PM
Youre working me lowlow! I really did see the thread and think, a fleetwood would do the job, from that picture you showed me if a car can take three people in the FRONT the back will inevetably be biiger or at elast the same size :) heheheh
Hah I smell a Fleetwood convert. 93Fleetwoodlowlow you've done it. McCombie purchasing a "Fleet" is in the bag:thumbsup: :cheers:

Stoneage_Caddy
08-07-05, 08:30 PM
another option is a station wagon .....

really ..... have you ever thought about one ? i still think a jetta wagon with the VR6 and a manual tranny would be a great car to have ...i almost bought one before i got the caddy just because of the camping factor .....a good handeling car for most days and for my trips to the endurance races a place to hang my hat for 3 days

or the quintessential roadside rest machine the "westfalia" VW bus (Vanagon/Eurovan)

then there is the volvo wagons the T-5s were neat machines , i think elvis has/had one

Adam
08-07-05, 08:31 PM
Hah I smell a Fleetwood convert. 93Fleetwoodlowlow you've done it. McCombie purchasing a "Fleet" is in the bag:thumbsup: :cheers:

ha, that is up to the wife i believe. its close though. he will own one eventually (Mccombie 6, you can thank me later). i am gonna play a song for him the day he gets one. hint: its by the Youngbloodz.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 08:32 PM
man let me tell you, when we used to go cruise, everyone would jump into my car. inpart cause it was a lowrider and all the girls were sick of sitting in those uncomfortable riced out cars. so it would be me, 5 girls and about 2-3 of my buddies in the Fleetwood at one time. trying hopping while driving with a pretty girl in your lap! on second thought, dont becuase your wife might get mad. seriously, i have had 8 people in my car at one time. so yeah, the back seat has plenty of room.

My wife is away alot :rolleyes: I just want a really big car! And the Fleetwoods are very big, and very nice...... 8 people? that is alot for one car. i thought i was pushing my luck when i had six in my Lincoln ;)

Hes slowly converting me addison

addison_ii
08-07-05, 08:38 PM
ha, that is up to the wife i believe. its close though. he will own one eventually (Mccombie 6, you can thank me later). i am gonna play a song for him the day he gets one. hint: its by the Youngbloodz.
Which one?? The one where they talking about driving down 85 don't worry shorty cause I'm coming for you??

Adam
08-07-05, 08:43 PM
CADILLAC PIMPIN!!!!!!! i cant believe you didnt think of that one. i know i know, he already has 3 Caddies but that song cant be played in newer ones. it just isnt right. i tried playing it in my CTS and it just didnt go with it. the Fleetwood on the other hand, that was a different story. maybe it is because that was a hooptie and that is what they are about. in one of their videos they are in a 89-93? Deville.

Adam
08-07-05, 08:48 PM
My wife is away alot :rolleyes: I just want a really big car! And the Fleetwoods are very big, and very nice...... 8 people? that is alot for one car. i thought i was pushing my luck when i had six in my Lincoln ;)

Hes slowly converting me addison

yes! 8 is a whole lot! it was funny too man. oh those ricers were so jealous. i had 5 very very hot girls in the Fleetwood. i clowned on them as we went by (hopped the car). that was tricky, i had the girl steer as i hit my front switch to hop it. all of the girls were laughing cause they'd never been in a car like that and they were having a good time. i think we cruised like that for an hour or so and some of them got out and rolled with my other friends. i had two the rest of the night (that didnt come out right).

what kind of Lincoln did you have? i got a 95 Continental with 18 inch Mossa wheels.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 09:00 PM
yes! 8 is a whole lot! it was funny too man. oh those ricers were so jealous. i had 5 very very hot girls in the Fleetwood. i clowned on them as we went by (hopped the car). that was tricky, i had the girl steer as i hit my front switch to hop it. all of the girls were laughing cause they'd never been in a car like that and they were having a good time. i think we cruised like that for an hour or so and some of them got out and rolled with my other friends. i had two the rest of the night (that didnt come out right).

what kind of Lincoln did you have? i got a 95 Continental with 18 inch Mossa wheels.

2001 Town car..... I was going to pick my son up from a Cinema and he'd told his friends id give them a ride home, so in the five of them got......

addison_ii
08-07-05, 09:12 PM
CADILLAC PIMPIN!!!!!!! i cant believe you didnt think of that one. i know i know, he already has 3 Caddies but that song cant be played in newer ones. it just isnt right. i tried playing it in my CTS and it just didnt go with it. the Fleetwood on the other hand, that was a different story. maybe it is because that was a hooptie and that is what they are about. in one of their videos they are in a 89-93? Deville. I thought about that one but the one I mentioned has a 60's-70's coupe Deville in it. Your right it doesn't go with the new lacs.

mccombie_5
08-07-05, 09:34 PM
Well while were thread jackin, im assuming these are tunes to play in my Fleetwood? Cause it may be closer than you think. I have found a source here in the UK, or i think i have, i need to go check the guys out, but it looks to be good. lowlow, you may be seeing me in a Fleetwood sooner than you thinjk, just in need of prices :)

Adam
08-08-05, 01:46 PM
yes, the next minute after you buy a Fleetwood, go to the nearest record store and buy the Youngbloodz latest cd Drankin Partnaz. it has Cadillac Pimpin and a whole bunch of other songs featuring Cadillacs/ Chevys. one song says "Big body Cadillac frame with the chrome." big body Cadillac is the nickname for the 93-96 Fleetwoods. Cadillac Pimpin is the official anthem of Cadillac owners everywhere. the opening lines/chorus goes: "im chillin, wood spinnin/ no Bentleys Cadillac Pimpin/ im cruisin, hoes choosin/ thats cool cuz im Cadillac Pimpin/ spoke spinnin, gold grillin/ liquor spillin, Cadillac pimpin/ keep ridin, car slidin/ thats cool cause im Cadillac pimpin..." whoa almost started to sing the song. my favorite part "NO BENTLEYS CADILLAC PIMPIN" and of course "4 door Fleetwoods to the two door coupes and all Sedan Deville with the fifth wheel too...". of course i live down south and this is the car to have, no bentleys, no mbs, no bmws... Cadillacs.

mccombie_5
08-08-05, 01:49 PM
yes, the next minute after you buy a Fleetwood, go to the nearest record store and buy the Youngbloodz latest cd Drankin Partnaz. it has Cadillac Pimpin and a whole bunch of other songs featuring Cadillacs/ Chevys. one song says "Big body Cadillac frame with the chrome." big body Cadillac is the nickname for the 93-96 Fleetwoods. Cadillac Pimpin is the official anthem of Cadillac owners everywhere. the opening lines/chorus goes: "im chillin, wood spinnin/ no Bentleys Cadillac Pimpin/ im cruisin, hoes choosin/ thats cool cuz im Cadillac Pimpin/ spoke spinnin, gold grillin/ liquor spillin, Cadillac pimpin/ keep ridin, car slidin/ thats cool cause im Cadillac pimpin..." whoa almost started to sing the song. my favorite part "NO BENTLEYS CADILLAC PIMPIN" and of course "4 door Fleetwoods to the two door coupes and all Sedan Deville with the fifth wheel too...". of course i live down south and this is the car to have, no bentleys, no mbs, no bmws... Cadillacs.

Will do. Dont agree with the Bentley part though ;)

Adam
08-08-05, 01:59 PM
Will do. Dont agree with the Bentley part though ;)

hehe, didnt figure you would. must be because you are British. i love that part but that is cause i dont really care for bentleys. id much rather have my CTS or my Fleetwood than a full fleet of bentleys. that is how it is in the south, its Cadillacs and Lincolns or old box/ bubble Chevys and Buicks.