: Using 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears in 99' STS

PWCadSTS
08-07-05, 05:58 AM
Hello.

I am curious about something and hope some other members will shed some light on it. I know what each lower gear does and is used for besides the basic everyday overdrive gear. Here is what I am wondering though. Since I have gotten my STS there have been a few other cars that have wanted to drag race me on the street, but I haven't. They are cars that my STS would chew up and spit out the tail pipe. No competition at all. But, IF I ever would drag race something that would be competitive, would using a lower gear like 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to get more power damage or hurt the engine in anyway if it is just a short drag? I haven't done it yet, BUT you never know when the itch might come along where you want to put someone in there place. Any replies would be nice. Thanks and have a good day!

Eldyfig
08-07-05, 09:34 AM
I have heard of starting in 2nd gear and powerbraking up the rpms to about 2000. When the light turns, go for it. It is good to disable the traction control, but isn't feasible to do when someone craws up to at a light while you are just minding your business. Now, if you plan on going out and treating another car like crap by running all over them, pull the abs fuse before you go out. That will make your traction car useless.

PWCadSTS
08-07-05, 04:16 PM
Ok, thank you for your reply. I will test some of that stuff just to see how it does. Theres a nice big and LONG parking lot in my town that you can do stuff like that in late at night. The one car that I did drag was an 05' Dodge Neon SXT. Blew it out of the water. Others that have wanted to drag were a Dodge Hemi truck, Pontiac Ram Air Grand AM, a 91' Camaro and a couple of hyped up Honda Civics. Thank you.

Engine Changes:
Bosch Platinum +2 Spark Plugs
Bosch Mag Premium Plug Wires
K&N Air Filter

Jack Ammann
08-07-05, 05:01 PM
Starting in 1st or 2nd raises line pressure in the Transmission and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are very hard and positive...compared to starting in Drive...but if possible, get that traction control off...I keep mine off all the time.

blunted
08-08-05, 02:59 AM
Good question PW.. I've been wondering the same thing with my 94 Eldorado.
Also, what do you guys think is the best to use for NYC type driving?.. D or maybe 3rd?

danbuc
08-08-05, 03:16 AM
Engine Changes:
Bosch Platinum +2 Spark Plugs
Bosch Mag Premium Plug Wires
K&N Air Filter

If you really want to be prepared for any future race, I would recommend switching back to the AC Declo platinum plug and wires, and going back to the regular paper filter. All three "mods" you have listed are more downgrades than upgrades on the Northstar. You will make the most power (especially low end) with the stock equipment. Many people including myself have tried "aftermarket" parts, only to see less power, and problems with misfires and other ignition problems (reffering to Bosch plugs and wires in particular). Your best bet is to just stick with the OEM equipment as it is THE BEST stuff for the car.

blunted, leaving it in D is perfectly fine for not only NYC, but any other location. The only reason I would every leave it in third would be if you needed the extra 10th of a second time merging into traffic, that the downshift would cost you. Other than that, while driving in the city, just leave it in D. The PCM will make it's own decisions s to which gear it should be in. If you like however, next time you go to merge onto the West Side Highway, try throwing it in 2nd as you ride up the on-ramp, then punch it as you merge. While your foot is on the floor, throw it back into D. Such a move can also be handy while dodging cabbies as well. Just watch that you keep your eyes on the lights, and double parked cars *shakes fist angrily*.

Jack Ammann
08-08-05, 09:23 AM
Good question PW.. I've been wondering the same thing with my 94 Eldorado.
Also, what do you guys think is the best to use for NYC type driving?.. D or maybe 3rd?

I'd just put it in 3rd and leave it there until I could sustain an over 45 MPH speed...in which case I'd slip it up to Drive.

Eldyfig
08-08-05, 11:00 AM
If you really want to be prepared for any future race, I would recommend switching back to the AC Declo platinum plug and wires, and going back to the regular paper filter. All three "mods" you have listed are more downgrades than upgrades on the Northstar. You will make the most power (especially low end) with the stock equipment. Many people including myself have tried "aftermarket" parts, only to see less power, and problems with misfires and other ignition problems (reffering to Bosch plugs and wires in particular). Your best bet is to just stick with the OEM equipment as it is THE BEST stuff for the car.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the aftermarket equipment you have. I had the same plugs and have since returned them to Bosch for a full refund. I now have the delcos back in and it is SSMMOOOOTTH driving.

Jack Ammann
08-08-05, 12:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I read the aftermarket equipment you have. I had the same plugs and have since returned them to Bosch for a full refund. I now have the delcos back in and it is SSMMOOOOTTH driving.

I have found that Delco's New OEM parts are the best I can get. AND that's with 11 years experience of trying non-OEM stuff...like Bosch +4 plugs...and gmpartsdirect is the most expeditious place to do that...for price, quality, and promptness in getting the parts to me.

blunted
08-08-05, 04:17 PM
Danbuc, nice to hear some NYC road advice... If your ever on the Westside Hwy and see a dark blue Eldorado with aftermarket pipes fly by on a WOT mission , that'll be me. I do it every time i'm on there.. :shhh:
Speaking of which, is there such thing as too much WOT?? I'm talking at least 3 times a week.. Just wondering cause it is a 94 but I just hit 70k last week.

Eldyfig
08-08-05, 07:03 PM
Speaking of which, is there such thing as too much WOT?? I'm talking at least 3 times a week.. Just wondering cause it is a 94 but I just hit 70k last week.

Kind of addictive, those WOTs, hearing the north* open up through some aftermarket pipes.

MARK99STS
08-08-05, 10:07 PM
He Danbuc, if you haven't seen on Caddyinfo I found a way around traction control. I'm working on a switch setup for it now. Kinda of wild to do a 20ft dual burnout with no computer taking over.

danbuc
08-09-05, 01:41 AM
SWEET!!! It's about time somebody got around it...hehe. In the process of searching for the post now. It's so nice out right now, and there's been alot of Hooligan's ni Honda's givin' me s**t lately. Nice to know I'll be able to give them all that they deserve when the time is right. :sneaky: :thumbsup:

blunted
08-09-05, 02:17 AM
Kind of addictive, those WOTs, hearing the north* open up through some aftermarket pipes.

Very addictive for me.. for my passengers though, between the sound and the way the Northstar jumps when you floor it, they get kinda freaked out. :holycrap: