: Northstar 1993 Explosion - Urgent Need

DemonSwede
08-07-05, 04:59 AM
Friday night about 3 hours from car was parked hot in my garage, I started the car - it said KABOOM - I immediately turned the ignition off & smoke came out from hood & seals from upper engine cover was protruding.
I took the upper engine cover off - but intake looked OK.
I pulled the module connectors off & run the car on the starter & it sounded OK.
Later I started the car & moved it on idle - took out my other car (Mark VII) - Started my Allante 1993 & run it back on idling.
What is wrong - injector o-rings - or injector leaking.
These are very rare cars in Stockholm, Sweden, so o-rings & Upper Engine cover gaskets are not available on shelf.
Solutions - buy new injectors (probably in stock) - or have the injectors machine cleaned (know companies which has equipment for this)

Ranger
08-07-05, 10:47 AM
It sounds like either injector(s) or FPR was leaking and when you started it, it backfired. I would suspect the FPR as it would dump raw fuel into the intake manifold rather than an injector leaking into the cylinder. Remove the cover again and turn the key on but DO NOT crank the engine. See if any fuel leaks out of the FPR nipple. If it does, replace it.

DemonSwede
08-08-05, 05:50 AM
Thanks - Where is the leak in the Fuel Pressure Regulator normally?
There is a vacuum line on the FPR - should this be open or connected to a tube?
I do not see a tube (at least not now after dismantling).

Ranger
08-08-05, 11:06 AM
The FPR is mounted on the fuel rail. On '95 and later engines it is mounted on the outside of the manifold so it needs a vacuum hose to supply engine vacuum. In your case it is mounted inside the manifold where it is subjected to manifold vacuum so there is no need for a hose. If it is leaking it will be from the nipple.

DemonSwede
08-08-05, 12:53 PM
Thanks - Where shall I look to see the leak - if leaking inside/into the manifold I will not see the leak or????

The bad things on this engine seems to be that you cannot test run the engine without the cover - thus you should have invisible engine cover of lexan or similar,

Ranger
08-08-05, 10:16 PM
Reread post #2.

prosin
09-21-05, 08:10 PM
My allante did exact same thing four days ago- can't get it running now after junkyard replacement plenum..