: Poor Diamond White Paint Quality

revray
08-07-05, 12:05 AM
All, I recently leased an 05 SRX in Diamond White. Took delivery inside service on a rainy day. Several days later began to notice a very blotchy paint job, like the main paint layer did not take. After confering with the dealer and finally the factory rep, they said "they are all that way, its not a defect and refused to paint my car to correct. It is really striking on a sunny day and looks horrible. Any other similar experiences out there? Cheers

Wayne Buff
09-27-05, 12:55 AM
Had the same White Diamond blotchy paint problem with my 2005 CTS that I purchased in April. I also noticed the problem several days later under certain lighting conditions. The auto body shop manager at the dealership said that there was not enough color coat on the car and that I was seeing the underlying gray primer. This was confirmed when I noticed a spot under the trunk lid where the paint was void. The dealer offered to repaint the vehicle. Repainting a new vehicle was not an acceptable option to me. I was able to arrange a GM Buy Back. They ordered a replacement White Diamond CTS for me and it had the same problem. Since then I have found that all models of Cadillacs and almost all years with the White Diamond paint have the problem. The CTS is a world class car and I really like the White Diamond color but I hate the blotchiness. So I just took delivery of a black 2006 CTS tonight. My ultimate goal is to get Cadillac to resolve the problem so I can at some point in the future get the car that I really want. I am planning on writing a letter to the Cadillac General Manager (Jim Taylor) since the Cadillac Customer Relations Department representatives will not take any action to escalate this problem to get it resolved. Their response was that there are thousands of happy White Diamond CTS customers.

Please let me know how you make out and how many others share this same problem. Together perhaps we can get Cadillac to resolve the problem.

mrbrett
10-02-05, 01:29 AM
I just bought a diamond white CTS and was told that the (my quote..) "cloudy" paint was typical of the diamond white. Is this not the case and should I be unhappy? It's different and I thought it was indicating a poor paint job, but my salesman assured me that it was the way it was supposed to be. This was enough for me and I'm happy...so is that enough. Happy is happy I guess. I guess I'm asking, "Is Diamond White supposed to have a cloudy look to it, or do i have a crappy paint job?" Thanks, yall.

Xadion
10-02-05, 02:28 AM
I would assume in overall look yes, but if the cloudyness is in blotchy areas i would say no- deff if the splotches dont move...they have some very funky paint nowdays.. that thundercloud edition invinity has some awsome looking paint if you view it in direct sunlight...so it could be a feature of the paint..but if its not good looking and blotchy...I would go for a replacement/repaint

Pete Benson
10-02-05, 02:39 PM
I don't think this problem is exclusive to Cadilac, as I have never seen a white diamond paint job on any car - and this includes Lexus and Infiniti - that wasn't blotchy and uneven. I would really like to know what it is about this color that consistently causes such problems.

louisn
10-02-05, 04:40 PM
And Why Does It Cost An Extra Grand?

b4z
10-03-05, 10:57 AM
We've had threads on this before.
I have never seen a properly applied diamond or pearl white paint job on a GM car.
It is splotchy with the pearls and metallics clumped together.
Lexuses are better in this regard, buthow GM thinks they can charge extra for a paint job you wouldn't accept ffrom your corner bodyshop escapes me.

dkozloski
10-03-05, 12:57 PM
White Diamond and Red Line are both what is known as a tri-coat process. First you lay down a white primer, next is a base coat, next a second coat, and finally clear coat. There are more chances to screw up. Most people with Red Line, including me, are very happy with it. In the bright sun it is breath taking. The White Diamond must be very tricky. Probably the factory procedure is letting the reflective flakes settle out before application or does not allow for the proper orientation of the flakes before it dries. Both the trunk lid and rear bumper cover of my car had to be repainted because of dealer damage and the results were spectacularly good.

louisn
10-18-05, 08:50 PM
MY moonstone paint job is specatcular as they say on Seiferld. Very sparkly in the sun with a deep gloss. The paint seems thicker and more durable than on my Acura CL-s and seems much more ding proof.