: Need Advice / Selling 62 Thunderbird

Rob_M
08-06-05, 12:54 PM
My sister is asking me to sell it for her. It's a family heirloom. It hasn't turned over in about 25 - 30 years. The Gold Book for Classic Cars lists it at $5,000 for "fair" condition which is the lowest option. I'd be happy if we got half that. We really don't feel like running out and buying a bunch of parts and paying to get it started. What do you guys think the likelyhood of me seeling it as is for a couple thousand would be. It would be a really nice car for someone who had the time and money to fix it up. Any advice from my fellow Cadillac buddies out there?

:grouphug:

addison_ii
08-06-05, 07:45 PM
I guess we'd have to see a few pics. I mean $2.5k for a car that hasn't even been cranked in 2-3 decades is a little high IMO. I know that it's an heirloom to your family but to an outsider it's a 43 year old car that hasn't ran in 20-30 years. If you were to get it running then you should charge more but I'd start at $1,000(if body and int are good).Hopefully you'll get somebody who sees the value in the car and wouldn't mind paying more.

Boombotz
08-06-05, 07:50 PM
I guess we'd have to see a few pics. I mean $2.5k for a car that hasn't even been cranked in 2-3 decades is a little high IMO. I know that it's an heirloom to your family but to an outsider it's a 43 year old that hasn't ran in 20-30 years. If you were to get it running then you should charge more but I'd start at $1,000(if body and int are good).Hopefully you'll get somebody who sees the value in the car and wouldn't mind paying more.

:yeah: Thats the most I would pay for it by the way you described it.

powerglide
08-07-05, 01:52 AM
hard to say without looking at pics.....did you try ebay/advanced search/passenger vehichles/ completed items only?
see what people ahve bid for similar rides.

Rob_M
08-09-05, 01:36 AM
Here, this is what I have right now. My dam camera ran out of power when I was shootin them so this is what I have for right now. We already got 6 responses in one day. Its still a classic car regaurdless of weather it has started in a long time or not in a long time. It's in fairly good condition also. No big dents or anything. All the gauges; the heater, and the radio, etc. work, and the body is in pretty good shape.

danbuc
08-09-05, 02:11 AM
The body looks stright, and the interior is in pretty good condition. See if you can get a shot of the engine compartment. That alone could make or brake a sale. That's what sold my Step-Dad on our 1963 Mercury Monterey when he saw it. The interior and body were in about the same shape as your Thunderbird, but the engine compartment was Spotless. This was a big suprise especially being a survivor car (unrestored like your's). I think if you went out and spent about $60 on plugs, wires, points, oil, and a new battery, it would probably start right up. It would definitely be worth it. That could make the difference between $2500 and $5000.

Rob_M
08-09-05, 02:18 AM
Yeah, my little nephew took it to his autobody shop and they replace the alternator, points and some other stuff and the teacher told him it had no compression. I think youre right. The right person could probably get it started. I definitely hear ya though. I need a shot of that compartment. I want a shot of the trunk and a few other angles though.

addison_ii
08-09-05, 05:52 PM
Now that I've seen pics, I'd say start at 5,000 or best offer. Of course if you get it running then you'll fetch more for it. But start there and see where interest in it takes you. It is a nice car and the interior looks pretty nice. You should get a nice amount for it.

Rob_M
08-14-05, 01:48 AM
Here's some more pics...

danbuc
08-14-05, 01:55 AM
Well, the engine compartment looks pretty good for a survivor, although those rust spots could use soem attention. You said that the engine had no compression. It might be alot of work, but I would recommend replacing all the piston rings, as well as the head gaskets. Did they do a compression check on just one cylinder, or all 8? I seems kind of odd that all compression would be gone just from the car sitting around. My friend's TR6 sat for 12 years before we got our hands on it. Not it runs like a champ (new plugs, wires, carburetors,..ect) and it was built by British Leyland.

Rob_M
08-14-05, 02:04 AM
Dam danbuc, you sure respond fast. HAHHHHAA! Yeah, I should have my buddy look at it but my fam doesn't want to spend anything on it. I spent 22k fixin my 62 Olds Starfire and it wasn't even finished. My mom says its a bottomless pit....:thepan:

terrible one
08-14-05, 02:35 AM
You could spend $500 on it and be able to make $2-3k more off of it just because the engine runs.

Rob_M
08-14-05, 03:12 PM
That may be what I will do if I get no takers but I think I might get lucky..

Spyder
08-15-05, 02:24 AM
That's what sold my Step-Dad on our 1963 Mercury Monterey when he saw it.

You bastards! My two first cars were a '63 Thunderbird and a '63 Merc Monterey two door. T-Bird with the 401, Merc with the 40. Two of the many cars I wish I would have never gotten rid of...Ya'll just hafta bring back memories, dontcha?! :)

Rob_M
08-15-05, 02:36 AM
Its alright dude, I got a 62 Olds Starfire tucked away in my MOMs garage that's a straight "SLEEPER"! What I need to know is, what size the engine is on the T-Bird. I'm guessin I can find out with the VIN number. Anyone got some insight on this or a link that will tell me what each letter or number in the VIN stands for? The car is at my sisters house so I dont see it much, but I could easily get the VIN from her. Is this right?

Spyder
08-15-05, 12:24 PM
Strangely enough, you can probably tell by the color of the valve covers...blue is the 390, gold was the 401...but I don't think they put the 401 in the t-bird until '63. Give me the vin and I'll look it up in my chiltons for that year...

Rob_M
08-16-05, 07:12 PM
I looked part of it up on line last night and it said it's got a 390 CID and a 4 barrel carburetor. I'll post it later and see if you can tell me anything different.... Already have a bunch of responses for it eventhough it isn't running. I got a lady coming tonight and if she doesn't buy it my buddy wants it. I just some cash from my sister so I can tint my windows in the LAC!!!!:cloud9:

Rob_M
08-17-05, 02:31 AM
Alright dude, here's the VIN#...2Y83Z116708. Thanks.....

Night Wolf
08-17-05, 03:00 AM
man, what a nice car.... I don't see how you can't get $5,000 for that... man, it is nice.

personally if I was getting a car like that, I would rather buy one when it hasn't ran for so long, just because if it sits like that, and someone dosn't do the right thing to try and start it, you can ruin the engine, otherwise good luck!

Rob_M
08-17-05, 11:33 AM
Thanks... Yeah, that is a good point.

Rob_M
08-19-05, 02:26 AM
DUDE, we sold it!!! For 3 G'z too. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad we got what we wanted for it. The guy also said after he restores it he was going to take us for a ride in it. Thats cool.... Its a family heirloom so at least its gonna get fixed up and not ripped to shreads for parts... :highfive:

addison_ii
08-19-05, 09:19 PM
DUDE, we sold it!!! For 3 G'z too. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm glad we got what we wanted for it. The guy also said after he restores it he was going to take us for a ride in it. Thats cool.... Its a family heirloom so at least its gonna get fixed up and not ripped to shreads for parts... :highfive: Nice deal. Uh oh do I see tints for the STS in your future:sneaky: ??? It's coming to me now more clearly, yes tinted windows soon.:yup: That's real nice he's going to keep in contact with you all and let you see the finished project.:thumbsup: