: Honda may develop V8 engine in future

HotRodSaint
08-06-05, 11:06 AM
"By around 2010, customers driving the Ridgeline now will need a stepped-up product," Fukui told a small group of reporters on Thursday. He said a V8 engine was one possible powertrain, along with a V6 hybrid or diesel system. (http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=13003)

Last month, Honda, renowned for its engine technology, surprised industry watchers with plans to skip the V8 and develop a V10 engine to power its next supercar to succeed the NSX model, which will be retired this year.

If development of the V10 engine is successful, Fukui said there would be "no reason not to have something in between", while stressing the decision was not final.

"If we make a V10, we might just as well make a V8. I won't deny the possibility," Fukui said at Honda's headquarters in Tokyo. "We'll see how the V10 turns out, and make a decision in about three years' time."

Ralph
08-06-05, 05:16 PM
Days late and dollar short.

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46482

HotRodSaint
08-07-05, 02:42 AM
Days late and dollar short.

I don't see anything in your thread about a V8, which was the title of this thread and also the quoted news article.

And IMHO, the V8 is a much more important development than the V10. Although the V10 is fun, the bread and butter business end is the V8.

Ralph
08-07-05, 02:49 AM
I don't see anything in your thread about a V8, which was the title of this thread and also the quoted news article.

And IMHO, the V8 is a much more important development than the V10. Although the V10 is fun, the bread and butter business end is the V8.

Read all the links. It has been stated in those links they were going to forego the V8 and instead go with a V10. Who knows what they will actually do in the end, but my links do mention the V8, or a lack of one, as it is still not yet known for certain.

And when dealing with the NSX replacement, they obviously want to be more exotic than a V8. This is not going to be a "bread and butter" car.

"Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V-8 production engine"

http://www.autonews.com/defaultRegister.cms?newsId=12831

"TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. has long maintained that it wouldn't develop a V8 production engine.

But it now says it will develop a V10."

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102830

So in the end, who knows.

Jesda
08-07-05, 09:36 AM
Honda has been making noise about a V8 for over a decade. I'll believe it when I see it in production.

HotRodSaint
08-07-05, 03:00 PM
It has been stated in those links they were going to forego the V8 and instead go with a V10.

It was stated in the link I posted that "Honda Motor Co. could build a V8 engine as its next mass-produced powertrain..." and "If we make a V10, we might just as well make a V8. I won't deny the possibility," Fukui said at Honda's headquarters in Tokyo."

Notice the difference?

While the term V8 does indeed appear in both your article and in mine (as does V10), it's the context in which those terms appear that changes the information that is being conveyed to the careful reader by each.

The reason I posted this, was because although Jesdas statement is to the contrary, even the article stated "Japan's third-biggest auto maker has long said it would not build a V8 engine."

LONG SAID!!! Even as long ago as the article you posted!!!

That is the reason that this is news worthy. And this is how it differs from your posts.

The possibility that Honda could build a 'mass-produced' V8 is an entirely new position and that new information differs from all of the information in your entire thread. That the Cheif Excecutive President stated it, makes it all the more important.

And lastly, the term "mass-produced" is the key terminolgy, IMHO. Because while the Ridgeline was used as his example, it's the Acura RL that is most likely to be V8 recipient, and that's important for those that frequent this forum with the intention of buying a new luxury car.

HotRodSaint
08-07-05, 03:02 PM
Honda has been making noise about a V8 for over a decade. I'll believe it when I see it in production.

To my knowledge, Honda has always held the position that a V8 was unnessecary.

Ralph
08-07-05, 03:27 PM
While the term V8 does indeed appear in both your article and in mine (as does V10), it's the context in which those terms appear that changes the information that is being conveyed to the careful reader by each.

The "careful reader" will also note that my articles did indeed mention the term "V8" the first time w/o going over this fact again and again.....

That said, we will have to wait the 3 years to see if they in fact do produce a V8, as Fukui only gave brief reference to it and again, it is NOT known at this time, but it will likely be AFTER the V10 is produced and that is the "earth-shaking" news from Honda IMO.

This subject is very tightly connected and indeed, essentially the same story, (as you mentioned both gave reference to the V8 and V10) even with the hint from Fukui. The Fukui statement is basically the addition of the POSSIBILITY of a future V8, but it is purely speculation at this time. It is nothing more than a "hint" by Fukui and not especially worth an entire new thread IMO. If the "careful reader" had seen my original thread, it could have been added to the original thread.

Honda is looking to get "exotic" now with the V10, so we shall see.

Honda does need a V8 in the Ridgeline to be competitive, especially considering that it is 10k overpriced and not selling well at all.....

"Early sales of Honda's Ridgeline truck disappoint; high prices pegged as main problem"

"The innovative V-6 pickup costs about $10,000 more than other compact trucks in the United States. And that is hurting sales, says Koichi Kondo, president of American Honda Motor Co.

He says Honda could put incentives on it if sales continue to disappoint, but it won't do so immediately. Honda typically uses cut-rate financing, subsidized leases and dealer cash to boost sales.

"We will take measures if needed," Kondo said at a press event in Tokyo two weeks ago.

Although incentives could spur sales, Roland doesn't want to see Honda employ the tactic. He favors a more drastic approach: "I feel that they ought to drop the price - period."

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102883

HotRodSaint
08-07-05, 04:51 PM
...essentially the same story...

And yet, it's not the same at all!!

One story was about a 'mass-produced' V8 and the other was about a 'limited production' V10. One said they may develop a V8 and the other said they'd forego it.

Thus your statment of being "days late and a dollar short" wasn't just essentially incorrect, it was wholly INCORRECT.

HotRodSaint
08-07-05, 05:39 PM
...and not especially worth an entire new thread IMO.

I'm sorry for committing this great offense against you. Thank you for pointing out the errors of my ways. :rolleyes2

Ralph
08-07-05, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry for committing this great offense

You're forgiven for all. Although, I'm not so sure YOU are capable of "forgiving."

Ralph
08-07-05, 06:19 PM
"days late and a dollar short"

Gee, where have I heard that before :hmm:

I was hoping you would be able to take your medicine like a big boy (as I've had to when I basically double posted) and essentially walk away, but I see that is not possible with you. :nono: I would also like to think this thread was not a copycat of the original in any way.

Your info was supplemental at best, and pure speculation from a single comment that was hyped up and made sensational by your link.

Honda has tested V8's in the past as well as race them, so it's not that groundbreaking.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=105577

and supposedly they have built one and are testing it in the Ridgeline.....

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=31&threadID=18604

After the production V10 for the new supercar, we'll see what happens..but a production V8?? We simply do NOT know for certain YET. The possibility of the V8 production will be dependant on the V10 success, according to your source

Get it? Got it? GOOD.

Have a nice day. :)