: Mustang success motivates GMís engineers, Mark Reuss says

HotRodSaint
08-06-05, 11:04 AM
The continued success of Fordís red-hot Mustang is being noticed at General Motors. There has been talk reviving the Chevrolet Camaro as a competitor to Fordís pony car. (http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=12998)

Mark Reuss, GMís executive director of vehicle architecture and Performance Division, says his engineers are looking to develop a low-cost rear-wheel drive platform that makes good business sense.

ben72227
08-06-05, 03:13 PM
They shouldn't revive the Camaro, but instead revive another one of their old cars - The Chevelle would be good. They could even make it from the Malibu - it would be the Malibu Chevelle SS, a coupe version of course, with a V8. But i t has to be RWD, so will probably use the Zeta platform...

Kev
08-06-05, 06:55 PM
I love the look of the new Mustang and I'd love to see a new 'retro' Camaro but then, I grew up with the originals. I'd guess I'm one of many my age who might agree.

I also have to add that the kid who produced that concept did an awesome job and GM would be absolutely foolish not to work out a deal with him. If I were running GM I'd offer him schooling for a 7 year contract after and then, assuming he improves with training and experience, make sure he is too happy to leave.

ben72227
08-06-05, 07:29 PM
Yeah that concept that the kid did looks awesome, much better than the new Mustang IMHO. But I'm sure that it would end up looking a little different in production, but then again, it might just look that good since they are using new techniques now (look how curvy the Solstice is) and it would probably use the Zeta too...

Kev
08-06-05, 07:38 PM
Yeah that concept that the kid did looks awesome, much better than the new Mustang IMHO. But I'm sure that it would end up looking a little different in production, but then again, it might just look that good since they are using new techniques now (look how curvy the Solstice is) and it would probably use the Zeta too...You're probably right, most concepts look quite different than the final production effort. That has typically been because the conepts tend to be very radical and are not practical to mass produce.

In the case of the Camaro concept that Kris created, I can easily see a production version that very closely resembles his look. I think the areas that might change would be a longer wheel base to accomodate a rear seat (his looks like it's intended to be a 2 seater), possibly a different look in the rear (lights, etc.) and slight changes to the lines here and there.

With CAD/CAM, new steel alloys and other technological improvements cars that look like Kris' are much easier to develope.