: 1997 Deville problems

ACENA
11-15-03, 10:11 AM
I recently bought a new 2003 Deville and I am selling my beloved 1997 to a friend. Before the sale I took the '97 in to a dealer(whom I've never used previously) to inspect the car as a courtesy to the buyer. I was surprised to hear some of the problems(and cost) that were found ??

1) The engine has an oil leak? I have never seen any fluid in my driveway. The car burns oil a little faster than other cars but nothing I would deem dramatic ?

2) There is an anti-freeze leak? Again , I have never seen any stains. The temperature has always run perfect and I have not noticed any dramatic drops in levels?

3) The car was given a full tune-up and premium wire job by my trusted local mechanic 7 months ago. The car runs like a champ, yet I was told it needed a full tune-up?

This car great car has always been pampered and well-serviced, was I missing something?

This is my first time posting. I apologize if my format or questions are not in correct form. Any advice would be gretly apreciated. Thanks AC.

elwesso
11-15-03, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the forums, thanks for signing up :wave:

For the tuneup, you probably wont need plugs and wires, as they need to be replaced every 100k..... The term "tuneup" can be a big money maker for the dealer..... Ask what specific things you need to have done, then we can tell you what really needs to happen!! If youi are a compitent DIYer, we can tell you what you can do yourself......

For the oil leak.... Northstar does it, and if you dont see any oil, I wouldnt worry about it...... Its probably gonna cost a lot to get that fixed......

Anti-freeze leak..... Id be interested to see where it is.... Ask them where the leak is....

zonie77
11-15-03, 10:44 AM
Did they show you where the leaks are? Let us know where they are.
You said you didn't know it was leaking previously. I would tend to inform the buyer and leave it up to them to make the decision to buy knowing of the leak, especially if you are giving them the "good friend" price on the car.

If the dealer told you the car needed a tuneup so soon after one indicates they didn't check and just put it on the list.

Why did you go to a dealer you didn't know instead of your trusted local mechanic?

ACENA
11-15-03, 01:34 PM
Did they show you where the leaks are? Let us know where they are.
You said you didn't know it was leaking previously. I would tend to inform the buyer and leave it up to them to make the decision to buy knowing of the leak, especially if you are giving them the "good friend" price on the car.

If the dealer told you the car needed a tuneup so soon after one indicates they didn't check and just put it on the list.

Why did you go to a dealer you didn't know instead of your trusted local mechanic?

Thanks for the advice. I brought it to the dealers shop only at the request of the potential buyer. I was given the information second hand and not directly from the mechanic. I will contact them and get precise details and then I may be back for more help. Thanks again. AC

ACENA
11-15-03, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forums, thanks for signing up :wave:

For the tuneup, you probably wont need plugs and wires, as they need to be replaced every 100k..... The term "tuneup" can be a big money maker for the dealer..... Ask what specific things you need to have done, then we can tell you what really needs to happen!! If youi are a compitent DIYer, we can tell you what you can do yourself......

For the oil leak.... Northstar does it, and if you dont see any oil, I wouldnt worry about it...... Its probably gonna cost a lot to get that fixed......

Anti-freeze leak..... Id be interested to see where it is.... Ask them where the leak is....

Thanks Wes. Unfortunately, The dealer only has hours when I am at work and I did not speak to the mechanic in person. I am going to try and get more specifics that may help get a better read on the problems....Thanks again AC

zonie77
11-15-03, 01:51 PM
This could get to be a reallyyyyyyyyy long post, selling cars to friends and mechanic's inspections, that is.

My experience with the potential buyer having a car inspected by a mechanic or dealer is pretty negative.
Sometimes the mechanic sees $$, sometimes the buyer just uses it to try to beat down the price even though he knew about the problems beforehand.

In your case if this gets to be a problem take it back to your trusted mechanic and get his opinion. Get the details of the dealer's inspection first so your mechanic can verify what the dealer listed.

I'd also say to be cautious selling cars to friends. Even when you've had good luck it could give problems quickly after selling and strain a friendship.

I could fill this forum with stories about this! Some of them include the new hose,belts,tuneup,oil change even though you can show they've been done in the last few months.

zonie77
11-15-03, 02:07 PM
I'm not implying anything about your friend as I don't know him/her but I'll put up a couple of things.
One of the scams going around Az a few years ago was the buyer calling a few days after the sale saying the car had a major problem (usually transmission) and asking the seller to reimburse part of the repair cost. They might even offer a receipt (phony of course) as proof.

Not a scam but one of my first experiences, sold a motorcycle to a "friend" and he had trouble so I reringed the engine at my expense. Within a week I had the opportunity to see him driving it and it was obvious any problems were his fault. He complained about it within a short while and all I had to say was I saw him driving and he dropped any request for repairs.( His response was: Oh! )