: Lower crankcase reseal - 2005 Deville

dedwards100
03-18-14, 07:47 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 05 Deville with only 63K so I had the dealership look it over. I was told that it needs a lower crank case reseal. Is this something that really needs to be done asap. How much should I expect to pay--Also, is it worth it for a car with a blue value of 4700. Thanks
__________________________________________________ ______________

Good morning. Your CF account is activated. Please use the profile and Settings tabs to update your profile with correct birth date, approximate location, and (anticipated) vehicle driven. Also, your time zone - do you really live in London - GMT ?

Moderator edit: Hideously expensive operation - the engine must come out of the car and be totally disassembled. You can buy a lot of 5W-30 oil for the $4700 dealer work cost.

Your post moved to its own thread in Engines, Northstar.

rodnok01
03-18-14, 09:14 AM
Unless it's puking oil like the Exxon Valdez or have an extra few thousand laying around with nothing better to do I'd let it go. As Mod has said Very expensive and labor intensive repair.

basscatt
03-21-14, 12:08 AM
I'm thinking of buying a 05 Deville with only 63K
so I had the dealership look it over.
I was told that it needs a lower crank case reseal.
that's going to cost around $2500 to $3500 -

first -
present the dealer's estimate to the seller and bargain down from his asking price -

get a second opinion -
there is a WORLD of difference between a slightly SEEPING seal -
that is really common and 99.999% of owners accept it -

and a LEAKING seal -
there are different degrees of leaking -

a slight leak - well - again - most people live with it -

a big leak has to be dealt with -

04GrandAmGT
03-24-14, 04:53 PM
we would do it for $2000 Flat, but even that if its only 2 Quarts every 1,000 Miles i would say just keep adding, at an average of $4 a quart, $2k is 500 Quarts, you could go 250,000 Miles, (someone double check my math, my brain is apparently still stuck in weekend mode) but is it really worth it