: Leaking Coolant, where is it coming from?

STS 310
08-04-05, 05:05 PM
Started with a smell of coolant, I could not see a leak. One week later a plume of steam from the engine after getting off the freeway, pulled over and still did not see a leak.

Now, after driving and stopping, I can see coolant coming from under the engine, but I can not find the damn leak. Even jacked the car up, and of course it was dry. Radiator and hoses seem to be fine. Is it the water pump housing?

No overheats, temp is fine.

Eldyfig
08-04-05, 06:15 PM
You say you can see coolant coming from under the engine. Is it coming from the driver's side or passenger side? Front part of engine area or back? There could be a number of places it could be coming from. You need to narrow it down. Leaks that are just starting out can be very hard to find. Open the hood, pull on the throttle cable to rev up engine, see if you can cause the leak to show itself.

Caddy112
08-04-05, 11:24 PM
There are a number of small lengths of hose which could be suspect. There are two metel pipes that run along the back of the engine, they rot out and leak, as mine did. I bypassed them with hose, replacing them looked impossible, and doing the hoses was enough work. The green ones are made of silicone for the high heat areas, and they may be good, mine were, but I destryed them getting them out before I found out what they were. It's kinda expensive to buy silicone hose, it cost me $7 per foot. If you want to replace any molded hose, order it from Cadillac, regular straight hose won't make the bends, unless you put springs inside them, and even then you may not be able to get them on. The heater core hoses in particular. I just went through all of this last week, feel free to ask any questions. I also replaced the thermostat, which was easy compared to the hoses. Never done a water pump on one of these, according to the shop manual, you need a special tool. If you're willing to buy the tool, it should be fairly simple to do.

andy2175m4
08-05-05, 01:35 AM
You might want to check the head gasket. I took out the spart plugs and found antifreeze in two adjacent cylinders. That could only be head gasket. If the head gasket is blown, strange things can happen.

Andy

therodman
08-05-05, 12:51 PM
In time the water pumps have a tendacy to develop leak in the housing and it will appear to be leaking near where the thermostat is located, actually up in behind the crossover housing. You won't be able to see where it's leaking unles you use a mechanics mirror with a telescopic handle to get in behinid that pulley! If it seems to be leaking from near the front driver side, near the thermostat housing that very well could be what it is, there's also a small hose in that area!

Good luck, hope it's simple!

STS 310
08-05-05, 04:26 PM
In time the water pumps have a tendacy to develop leak in the housing and it will appear to be leaking near where the thermostat is located, actually up in behind the crossover housing. You won't be able to see where it's leaking unles you use a mechanics mirror with a telescopic handle to get in behinid that pulley! If it seems to be leaking from near the front driver side, near the thermostat housing that very well could be what it is, there's also a small hose in that area!

Good luck, hope it's simple!

That seems to be the general area of the leak.

therodman
08-05-05, 04:46 PM
I believe you can see the little vent hose ( 3/8" I think ) on top of the thermostat housing or crossover housing. If that was leaking I think it woul dbe pretty obvious but the back of the water pump or water pump seal is a different story. It would help to get yourself one of those telescopic mirrors I mentioned or go to a garage where they have one and ask them to look up in behind the pulley where the belt and belt tensioner are located. The water pump itself has an o-ring seal that could have gone out but unlikey. I have a feeling that your problem is back in there though, either a corroded pump housing or the shaft seal. If it is either of those you'll have to replace the water pump however if it's a small hole from corrosion, you may be able to get by with some stop leak for the time being.

Is your coolant sytem up to snuff, do you have the tablets in system? I've heard on this board where people lost coolant and replaced just the coolant but not the tablets and then they continued to have a small leak. Making sure the tablets are in the system would be one of the first things I would do besides getting a mirror to have a look at the back of the pump.

puglisie
08-05-05, 10:11 PM
I just replaced the water pump on my 94 SLS yesterday--was leaking in the same place, right below the pump housing, then on to the crossmember under the engine, then out on the ground. Was interesting--only would leak after the engine was shut off--must not have gotton hot enough to break through until a few minutes after being off. Cost $234 including a NEW delco pump ($120). yes--there is a special pump cartridge removal tool, my local repair guy had one, and yes, I did add the sealent tabs afterward. I also checked with my local dealer, they said they put them in all Cadillacs with aluminium blocks. They said with all the recent very hot weather, there have been a lot of cooling system problems in my area. Hope this helps, and good luck.

turbojimmy
08-06-05, 06:33 AM
Mine was doing the same thing when I first got it. Smelled bad and I could see little wisps of steam from beneath the sight cover on the driver's side of the engine.

The advice I got here was to check the gasket on the cover itself before replacing the pump. The gasket is a common failure point and you may only have to spend a couple of bucks to replace it vs. the $120 for a pump.

However, I ignored it and it went away. Self-healing Caddy. Gotta love it (yes, there's still coolant in it).

Jim

STS 310
08-10-05, 10:15 PM
Turbo, thats funny self healing and all. I have my "cooling system expert" checking it out now.

STS 310
08-12-05, 03:46 PM
Well, he found the culprit. There are 2 small green silicone hoses that are side by side near the driver side firewall. One of those had a small leak.

Pretty simple repair. At least for him.

Ranger
08-12-05, 05:46 PM
WOW! That is odd as those hoses are supposed to last damn near forever. I guess only diamonds are forever.

95Concours
08-12-05, 06:15 PM
WOW! That is odd as those hoses are supposed to last damn near forever. I guess only diamonds are forever.

They also could of been tampered with somehow.

Overheated
08-13-05, 06:58 AM
I found my leak (coolant smell only) at the cross over to head seal on the right side (from back of eng.). it was leaking down to the area under the intake manafold on top of the block.