: Battery Replacement on 95 STS

dgarrin
11-14-03, 08:49 PM
:banghead: Does anyone know how to reset the system after changing the battery in a 95 Cadillac STS with the Northstar engine? My owners manual just tells me to take it to a qualifed technician. Seeing as all our local dealers are closed until Monday, I needed to know how to reset the system after I change the battery. The last time we changed the battery the entire system shut down going over the Smokey Mountains and we had to be towed piggyback style on a flatbed wrecker for 150 miles.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to reset the system.

Thanks in advance,

dgarrin
denise@garrin.net

carolinasts
11-14-03, 09:15 PM
Per the Cadillac manual here is the procedure for resetting the computer system on a 95 STS, after replacing the battery.
1.Apply parking brake
2.Make sure front wheels are straight.
3.Turn off climate control.
4.Start engine in park and let it idle for 15 minutes
5.Put foot on brake and shift to overdrive and let it idle there for 3 mins do not accelerate the engine during this.
6.With the car in third now turn the elctronic climate sontrol to auto and let engine idle here ofr 3 more minutes.
7.Turn the engine off
8. Your computer is now reset.

dgarrin
11-14-03, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the quick response, I will be attempting this shortly. Could you send me the name of the Cadillac Manual you found this in? After owning this car for a little over a year now, I believe I will have to have one in order to keep it running smothly.

Thank you again,
Dgarrin

Per the Cadillac manual here is the procedure for resetting the computer system on a 95 STS, after replacing the battery.
1.Apply parking brake
5.Put foot on brake and shift to overdrive and let it idle there for 3 mins do not accelerate the engine during this.
6.With the car in third now turn the elctronic climate sontrol to auto and let engine idle here ofr 3 more minutes.
7.Turn the engine off

carolinasts
11-16-03, 05:26 PM
Cadillac owners manual for 95 STS

wake
11-18-03, 06:35 AM
1.Apply parking brake
7.Turn the engine off

That's how I remember it in my manual...

Interestingly enough, before I got my shop manual (alternator died on 2nd day of ownership) I had disconnected the battery several times due to 3 alternator swaps before I wised up and got a Delco replacement... I never had to do the idle re-learn procedure... I just reconnected the battery and went... I never found out about the re-learn procedure until later...

Jim