What system would be best?

MMNineInchNails
11-14-03, 06:24 PM
Playstation 2 or 3 when it comes out

JJhomer83
11-14-03, 07:20 PM
Playstation 2 or 3 when it comes out

Playstation2

The reasons why are b/c it has the most games out there for a system. You can play ps2 games and the original playstation games. It will also play as a DVD player if need be. If she would like to use it as a dvd player i highly recomend the remote for it. It makes your life a lot easier for playing movies. She will need to get a memory card for the system. Playstation sells OEM cards for about 30 bucks. DON"T BUY THEM. get the cheap aftermarket ones made by EA or madcatz, etc... For an extra controller i have found that the offical ones are really that much better. If she is hooking it up to a tv that does not have an RCA input then she is going to need an RF modulator as well. You can run it through a VCR but there are problems when movies are being played b/c of the copywrite things coded onto the movies.

Prices should be around:
179 system
30 controller
10-15 memory card
20-40 for remote
20 for RF modulator (radioshack and walmart have the cheapest prices

Hope this helps you out

airbalancer
11-14-03, 07:41 PM
thanks
PS2 goes for about $279 cdn with a couple of games thrown in
Xbox is about 239
She is getting a DVD from her twin sister, at Wal-Mart you can a dvd for $60 cdn
I will look in early Dec for the best price

03EscaladeAWD
11-14-03, 08:00 PM
Go for an XBOX. I have both (PS2 and Xbox) I have to say the XBOX is way better in every place. Yes, it does have less games, but those games are way better. (Halo 1 and 2) and though you don't have internet, it has XBOX LIVE which doesn't have as much lag since broadband is required. (Not that there is 0 lag) People complain about the controllers, but IMO they're better than PS2s. Also, a really big factor-4 player capability FOR FREE. No need for those multiple controller adapters. Unless this is going to be your main DVD, player, go for the box. As for waiting for a PS3, why not wait for XBOX2? Now its time for someone in here to recommend Gamecube. For that person, remember. 22 years old!

Night Wolf
11-14-03, 08:16 PM
I say PS2....best games and most games to choose from....

..... I personally would get regualr Sony brand memory card, not only to match, but they are far more reliable, every after market card I ever got (for any system) has always gave me trouble at one point in time...never the offical ones though.

MMNineInchNails
11-14-03, 09:24 PM
DONT get a xbox. sure they have like 3 or 4 good games, but that's it. They have good graphics and that's a plus, but then you have crap controllers, and crap games. PS2 has tons of games and is the only system where you can play both PS2 games, and the older version games (PS1). They did a comparason on controllers from the Xbox, PS2, and gamecube, and they came up that the PS2 was the best controller out there. It's great how you can also play DVDs on the PS2 too. I think you can play DVDs on the xbox, but you have to get some odd adapter thing. PS2 is way better IMO and all the kids like it best.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
11-14-03, 11:46 PM
Ask her if she has a preference between xbox and ps2.......they are about the same...just dont get a gamecube

chant74
11-15-03, 02:08 AM
I have the three major systems (ps2, xbox, gamecube) . And I wolud first ask her her preference since you can get any of them at close to the same price.

Now what i know...
the gamecube is the weakest in the market it's got low support from the programmers and has the least amount of games available in the US, so just forget it. It's got nice graphics, vivid color, very good sound, but you're stuck with little titles to play.

The Ps2 has more time in the market than the others and has a more diverse support form the gaming systems (meaning more game variety), there are tons of game available, and can play Ps "old" games (old is not always bad). Also the ps2 can play DVD's as is, nothing is required to watch them. The graphics on the ps2 up to now had been ok, but the companies are just begining to really pushing the ps engine and now we have some super good looking games (ex. prince of persia). But the system is the weakest of the three and the oldest... Ps3 is planned for 2005.

The Xbox it's the most powerful of the three systems, but there is not a lot of support from the industry yet, but it's growing fast, and it has the most potential to be extracted. Other advantages are that it has a harddrive so you don't need memory cards to save game progress and such, it can also store music and some games can be played with your previously recorded soundtrack; it has an integrated modem, ps2 doesn't. It plays DVD's but you need to buy a control and card for it. On the graphics it has some super good looking games and it has yet the potential to deliver much more.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps. The statements above are my experience and knowledge (i actually have played a couple of game titles that came out for the three consoles in each one of them, so that's part of my basis for comparison)
If you ask me i wolud buy the xbox there's more future to it. But if you see a very cheap ps2 go for it.

davesdeville
11-15-03, 02:10 AM
I'd reccomend the ps2 also. It has more games and (to me) much better controllers. The xbox has a bit better graphics, but I don't think it makes up the differance. If she were about 5 years old I'd reccomend gamecube but shes not so don't get the gamecube.

Ralph
11-15-03, 02:51 AM
I bought a PS2 this summer, and its great. In Canada, the games for the Xbox are much more expensive than the Sony. (compare) The xbox is supposed to be more powerful, but the Sony has the backing of a big name, and will never become unpopular. I can still get new ps1 games for 10 bucks, and they play on the ps2! The DVD player on mine has a little trouble loading a movie, at times, but the trick is to let the disc load, then imediately press the reset button for a microsecond, then it loads 99% of the time. The graphics are outstanding, she will not be disappointed!

MMNineInchNails
11-15-03, 07:09 PM
Funny how chant74 says that the PS2 is the oldest making it sound like crap, but it came out what about a month before the other two? Maybe less. I've played some of the games that were built both for Xbox and PS2 and yes It was much easier on the PS2 to play because of the controller, and more of a pain on Xbox, but I do admit there are a little bit better graphics on the Xbox, but if I were to walk into a store and Xbox was cheaper than PS2 I would still definatly go with the PS2, it's that much better IMO.

03EscaladeAWD
11-15-03, 10:44 PM
Funny how chant74 says that the PS2 is the oldest making it sound like crap, but it came out what about a month before the other two? Maybe less. I've played some of the games that were built both for Xbox and PS2 and yes It was much easier on the PS2 to play because of the controller, and more of a pain on Xbox, but I do admit there are a little bit better graphics on the Xbox, but if I were to walk into a store and Xbox was cheaper than PS2 I would still definatly go with the PS2, it's that much better IMO.
Yes, the XBOX will have a better future, so you have to think, which one will you want in 3 years from now? You know, of all the XBOX games on the market, none of them are close to reaching the XBOX's full capability. The closest to come to this was that Yazuka game. Halo 2 will come close. Remember man, think of the future. PS2 might see its limits very soon.

Controllers:She can get used to them. I am. Unless she has 5 yr old hands, she will have no problem.

And of course: PS2s an import!!! :p

airbalancer
11-16-03, 02:43 PM
Man o man
I had an easier time buying the STS
But it is not xmas eve yet
And who buyes anything before that date :histeric:

MMNineInchNails
11-16-03, 02:58 PM
And who buyes anything before that date :histeric:

HAHA SERIOUSLY. :xevileye:

Cyberdan3
11-16-03, 10:48 PM
Wheres the gamecube love?? How can anybody pass up such a great system for $100!!! With great games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc. There is absolutely no reason not to own one. Screw PS2's DVD player, everyone already has one nowadays.

Ralph
11-17-03, 01:08 AM
Yes, the XBOX will have a better future, so you have to think, which one will you want in 3 years from now? You know, of all the XBOX games on the market, none of them are close to reaching the XBOX's full capability. The closest to come to this was that Yazuka game. Halo 2 will come close. Remember man, think of the future. PS2 might see its limits very soon.

Controllers:She can get used to them. I am. Unless she has 5 yr old hands, she will have no problem.

And of course: PS2s an import!!! :p

Some of us serious gamers thought that the more powerful Dreamcast would outlast most, it didn't even outlast the PS1! Sony has the money behind the name, the backing from sponsors, various car manufacturers for the driving games like the Need For Speed series, etc. The PS2 will be just fine until the PS3 comes out in early 2005. You cannot ever worry about being obsolete with a Sony product. (except maybe Beta) :histeric:

Ralph
11-17-03, 03:41 AM
Wheres the gamecube love?? How can anybody pass up such a great system for $100!!! With great games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc. There is absolutely no reason not to own one. Screw PS2's DVD player, everyone already has one nowadays.

100 dollars! You must be in Canada? The gamecube is a great system, however, most of the software is for children. Also, Nintendo changes their systems more often than I change my underware. If you pay a hundred more you can have a much more powerful system.

The PS2's DVD player is just an option on the system, and I'm sure no one bought the game system for the DVD player. I like it as a bonus because I never bothered with an actual DVD player yet. When my vcr dies, I will probably get one of those combo VCR/DVD players, or hold out for the recordable DVD player/recorders. Phillips makes one but they are a little expensive, but reduced every other month or so.

Cyberdan3
11-17-03, 10:44 AM
Xbox is not much more powerful. Splinter Cell looks very comparable on both systems. SSX3 looks the same on both systems. Tony Hawks Underground looks the same on Xbox and on Gamecube. It's all how the developers work on the game. Metroid Prime is one of the best looking games ever, and that is a gamecube game. And I live in North America, and it is $99.99 Oh and the kiddie comment guy, are you telling me you dont enjoy mario kart, golf, zelda, etc. because they are "kiddie". Thats sad, cause you are missing out. I'm 18, and I think it is definately worth it. Also, Gamecube has the lowest load times, and the best controller(In my opinion)

brougham
11-17-03, 12:13 PM
Let your daughter decide what she wants. She probably has a friend who has one and might want the same thing.

I got a Gamecube when they first came out. Mainly because we had the Nintendos and because I don't play video games all that much so I didn't want to spend that much money on something that might not get used a lot. You can get a lot of games for it, they're just the one who also has the most kid ones. I remember around the time Gamecube came out Nintendo said that they were purposely going to sell their saystem cheap because they wanted something that kids could actually afford. In the Nintendo and Sega days they never costed as much as they do now. If we never had the original ones and the prices were the same I might have gotten something else. And it probably would have been Playstation because I probably know more people with it then Xbox.

Also, Nintendo changes their systems more often than I change my underware.
So you're saying you never change your underwear?? They change them about as often as everybody else does. And it seems to me that Nintendo 64 was out longer then the original Playstation was before it was replaced. Then again I didn't have either :confused:

Ralph
11-18-03, 01:02 AM
Xbox is not much more powerful. Splinter Cell looks very comparable on both systems. SSX3 looks the same on both systems. Tony Hawks Underground looks the same on Xbox and on Gamecube. It's all how the developers work on the game. Metroid Prime is one of the best looking games ever, and that is a gamecube game. And I live in North America, and it is $99.99 Oh and the kiddie comment guy, are you telling me you dont enjoy mario kart, golf, zelda, etc. because they are "kiddie". Thats sad, cause you are missing out. I'm 18, and I think it is definately worth it. Also, Gamecube has the lowest load times, and the best controller(In my opinion)

Cyber, don't be too worried about your locale, we don't want to track you down. :D I have to apologize about something, I took a look at the games for your Gamecube, and I was impressed! There was quite a selection. (even many "adult" ones as I call them) I'm sure the "kid" games are fun, but I am twice your age, grew up with an Atari 2600, friends all had Colecovision, Intellivision, Odyssey, etc, and I've played all the kiddie type games that I wanted to. Give me RPG's, blood, violence, drama and suspense, I'm a big-boy, I can take it! My first game for PS1 was Tomb Raider, and that is still one of the best games of exploration that I've ever encountered.

Ralph
11-18-03, 01:08 AM
Let your daughter decide what she wants. She probably has a friend who has one and might want the same thing.

I got a Gamecube when they first came out. Mainly because we had the Nintendos and because I don't play video games all that much so I didn't want to spend that much money on something that might not get used a lot. You can get a lot of games for it, they're just the one who also has the most kid ones. I remember around the time Gamecube came out Nintendo said that they were purposely going to sell their saystem cheap because they wanted something that kids could actually afford. In the Nintendo and Sega days they never costed as much as they do now. If we never had the original ones and the prices were the same I might have gotten something else. And it probably would have been Playstation because I probably know more people with it then Xbox.

So you're saying you never change your underwear?? They change them about as often as everybody else does. And it seems to me that Nintendo 64 was out longer then the original Playstation was before it was replaced. Then again I didn't have either :confused:

I guess I'm bias because I have a PS1 and 2, but I like the fact that all the controllers, games, memory cards, and connections are all compatible between the two. One thing that did bug me is the Gameshark from 1 will not work on PS2! I have to go now, time to change my undies. :histeric:

tru504187211
11-18-03, 01:28 AM
A few reasons for buying the Gamecube...

Besides, no one can step to Mario cart!

Great game not available on ps/2, xbox (http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=ikaruga)

Well, besides the obvious reason of Microsoft simply building a computer and putting it in a box that says... "XBOX" on the front here are some other reaons not to buy bullsh*t.
Reasons NOT to buy xbox (http://maddox.xmission.com/xbox_suckit.html)

Ralph
11-18-03, 10:18 PM
I was pricing out computers today, and I found out that you can use the PS2 for a PC! I didn't know this, but apparently it is set up for several functions. Sony is soon to come out with a modem and a keyboard. The modem you directly install into the expansion bay door. The computer salesman told me that you don't even really need the keyboard to surf the net, email, etc. it is set up so you can use the PS2 controller and scroll to all the letters you want, etc. Your TV becomes your monitor. Is there anything the PS2 cannot do?? :D How's that for versatility.

MMNineInchNails
11-19-03, 12:37 AM
I was pricing out computers today, and I found out that you can use the PS2 for a PC! I didn't know this, but apparently it is set up for several functions. Sony is soon to come out with a modem and a keyboard. The modem you directly install into the expansion bay door. The computer salesman told me that you don't even really need the keyboard to surf the net, email, etc. it is set up so you can use the PS2 controller and scroll to all the letters you want, etc. Your TV becomes your monitor. Is there anything the PS2 cannot do?? :D How's that for versatility.

They already have both the keyboard and the modem that goes in the back. Why do you think they already make so many internet games for it?

Ralph
11-19-03, 01:12 AM
I knew there were some games you could play on the net, but I didn't know it was a PC also. The way the computer salesman talked about the modem and the keyboard, I think he was implying they weren't quite available up here yet, which would be typical........ :helpless:

Does this mean than you can accidently pick up a virus on the PS2 if surfing the net!?.............typical. :xevileye:

MMNineInchNails
11-19-03, 07:45 PM
Ok, you have to have the modem to play the online game. haha. It's already out.