: Oil Leak Question

jdubs952
08-03-05, 07:34 AM
So I got a 1993 Eldorado N* w/ 181,000 miles on it. I didn't notice any oil leaking when I bought it. Changed the oil, my mechanic told me about the tiered oil pan(s) and that I had a small leak in the top one...after doing my research on here, I have concluded that I just have to keep my eye on it. My questions are:

1. What is the thickest oil I can use in a 1993 N* engine? (New Jersey Summer? NJ Winter?) I read something about the earlier ones needing 10w30. But thicked would slow the leak

2. Its leaking from the top pan which could mean that once it leaks a few quarts down (but not below the "ADD OIL" line), it would stop....is it common to leak only for a little while after topping the oil off/changing it?

BTW, I painted the car Sunset Orange Metallic :) I'll have to get some pictures up, looks nice.

caddydaddy
08-03-05, 08:41 AM
I'd stick with the recommended 10w-30. Also, make sure you don't overfill the oil, it should take 7.5 quarts. The dipstick on my STS reads about 1/3 up the range marks with 7.5 quarts, so make sure your dipstick isn't off.

Eldyfig
08-03-05, 11:24 PM
Most aged cars have oil seaping around the pan gasket. Have YOU seen any oil leaks or drips on the ground? If you don't have any drops, then your oil level coming down is just the north*s natural ability to burn oil. The mechanic might just be giving you some obvious info in hope of making some extra money with another job.

jdubs952
08-04-05, 01:07 AM
yes i have seen the oil leaking from the pan...no the mechanic isn't rippin' me off or tryin to b/c he does the work for free (he's a member of my gym)

Eldyfig
08-04-05, 02:49 AM
To answer your last question: no, it is not common to leak after topping off or changing the oil.

Go with conventional 10W30. That is what I go with and the bottom of my car is dry.

Pjs
08-04-05, 06:44 AM
There is a pressurized oil manifold above the oil pan. It's about a 1/4" thick and has an molded in seal. Over time the seal may shrink and allow oil to leak. Because the manifold is pressurized it will leak as long as the engine is running regardless of how much oil is in it. There have been a handful of us here that have had the leaks get so bad that we've had to pull the engine to repair it, in my case a couple qts a week. I run 10-40 in my 95SLS. There are a few threads w/ pics about dropping the cradle and pulling the engine apart. Do a search for Zonie77, he's got some great instructions

Jack Ammann
08-04-05, 10:38 AM
So I got a 1993 Eldorado N* w/ 181,000 miles on it. I didn't notice any oil leaking when I bought it. Changed the oil, my mechanic told me about the tiered oil pan(s) and that I had a small leak in the top one...after doing my research on here, I have concluded that I just have to keep my eye on it. My questions are:

1. What is the thickest oil I can use in a 1993 N* engine? (New Jersey Summer? NJ Winter?) I read something about the earlier ones needing 10w30. But thicked would slow the leak

2. Its leaking from the top pan which could mean that once it leaks a few quarts down (but not below the "ADD OIL" line), it would stop....is it common to leak only for a little while after topping the oil off/changing it?

BTW, I painted the car Sunset Orange Metallic :) I'll have to get some pictures up, looks nice.

The short to the point reply is....I used to put about 8.5 quarts in my '94 ETC on an oil change...and it promptly leaked out about a quart over a 1000 mile period. The 8.5 quarts represents showing FULL while the motor was running. I thought that was just the way to do it...LOL...I was WRONG. I learned on this forum from Sal Collazianoinski that 7.5 quarts is the way to go...and it'll show about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the safe zone on the stick...AND it's NEVER leaked since. Let us know if you try the 7.5 quart method and what you find.

By the way, I use 20-50 Synthetic or semi-synthetic down here in San Antonio. It only freezes a time or two in the winter...and the rest of the time I go to hell to cool off...LOL

puglisie
08-05-05, 11:23 PM
I have a 94 SLS w 110000 miles, and had the same experience--stick with the 7.5 quarts, mine stays right at that 1/3 level on the dipstick and doesn't leak a drop--really great to read Jack's take on this, now I know why as well...

Pjs
08-05-05, 11:44 PM
With 7.5 qts in mine, the oil was literally pouring down the sides of the oil pan as soon as the engine started. My oil leak could be completely attributed to the seals on the manifold and oil pan being worn out. However I did buy the car knowing that it was leaking which is why I got it so cheap. Since replacing the seals and manifold it hasn't leaked drop one.