: Ford Dumping Excursion

Ralph
08-02-05, 11:56 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Industry/Industry_News/Ford_Set_to_Dump_Excursion.S175.A9006.html

"Ford Motor Co. is preparing to halt production of the oversized Excursion sport-utility vehicle at the end of September"

"A report in the Detroit News, meanwhile, suggested that Ford is looking at replacing the Excursion with the stretched version of the Ford Expedition. Dubbed the Expedition Max, the stretched version would be about 16 inches longer than the standard Expedition and could go into production next as a '07 model only about six months after Chevrolet launches a new Suburban, the News reported.

"Passenger vehicles consume 40 percent of the oil we use - a staggering eight million barrels per day. If no action is taken to improve performance, that consumption will balloon to nearly twelve million barrels a day by 2020," Hwang noted."

Relax Elvis, your Expedition seems safe, for now...... :sneaky:

danbuc
08-03-05, 12:02 AM
It's about time they got rid of that tank. Nothing worse than watching a soccer mom try and parallel park one of them....it's f**kin' hilarious :histeric: Anyway, I wonder if they are gonna continue to keep the Powerstroke V8 Diesel, and Triton V10 engines as powertrain options for their big SUV's. I always thought the Triton V10 was a cool engine ( I mean not every truck you see short of a Ram SRT 10 has a V10..hehe) and the Powerstroke V8 Diesel is a beast of an engine.

Ralph
08-03-05, 12:32 AM
I hope things like this don't effect the Escalade, as they are supposed to be getting a V10 or V12???? Maybe it won't happen now??

Randy_W
08-03-05, 07:33 AM
Ford actually made the decision 2 years ago. There wasn't enough future demand so they notified thier suppliers in Sept. 2003 that they were cutting the number of projected units. I know this because my brother worked for a gasket and seal manufacturer until his recent retirement. It also looks like the current V10 Ford is on the way out also.

Jesda
08-03-05, 08:17 AM
Useful truck, but no one was buying. Oh, and what Randy said.

Elvis
08-03-05, 10:49 AM
I never understood the Excursion. There is more 3rd row room in the Expedition than there is in the Suburban.

Ford must've just been trying to make the biggest one on the market, and it was easy to take the SuperDuty and modify it. Of course, GM trumped Ford again with the H2.

A "stretch" Expedition is very easy to make. Adding 16" is no big deal either. The difference between the Tahoe and Suburban wheelbase is 14".

mccombie_5
08-03-05, 11:21 AM
My sons prom limo was a stretched one of those ;) I dont see the point either. The biggest 4x4 on UK roads is mine (joke) and after that its probably the Range Rover. What could be a possible use for an Excursion if you dont mind me asking? I know the use for my ESV. (ultimate posing, and long journeys)

Sandy
08-03-05, 12:02 PM
It's a "Woman-Thing" ~ Their version of "Mine's bigger than yours", mentality.
80% of them on the road are being driven by women, usually shorter than 5 foot 3 inches :cookoo: ~

c5 rv
08-03-05, 12:29 PM
Ford has tried to kill the Excursion a couple of times, but customers and dealers screamed loudly. It has a strong following in the rural, towing, and professional (thanks to the tax break) communities, especially with the powerstroke. It was left as the only fullsize (or supersize) SUV with a diesel when GM dropped the 6.5 diesel from the Suburban. I would guess that this year's spike in fuel prices, especially diesel, really killed Excursion sales and finally muted the objections to killing it.

N0DIH
08-03-05, 01:16 PM
Maybe more seat room (but not much at all), but I can seat 8 people in my 1996 Suburban AND their luggage. Can't do that in an Expedition, and only Ford SUV product that can is a Excursion. The Expedition is a useless vehicle for families with 6 to 8 people. I can't even take home a load of groceries in a Expedition! To tiny. The Excursions are just to $$. Come on, I don't have $50K to spend on a vehicle. In 1999, the Suburban base model (C1500, 350 Vortec) was $25K. What happened????

They needed a half ton version that is lower cost and softer ride Excursion, but being it is built on a 1 ton, heavy is the name of the game. It was just overkill to try to trump the 3/4t Suburban. They did, and it still flopped.

When I get the $$ I will likely pick up a used Excursion Diesel, but the used $$ are still too much.

H2's are a joke in my book. More status symbol, not really a practical truck. I need practical. Seat 8-9 people AND their cargo, capable of surviving Wisconsin winters and take long trips to anywhere in the US while getting reasonable mpg. Suburban does it well. At 213K miles, I am still getting 17.5 mpg highway, and 14.1 city. 4.6L and 5.4L Expeditions are lucky to break 12 mpg city or highway (based on several owners I have talked to.

I never understood the Excursion. There is more 3rd row room in the Expedition than there is in the Suburban.

Ford must've just been trying to make the biggest one on the market, and it was easy to take the SuperDuty and modify it. Of course, GM trumped Ford again with the H2.

A "stretch" Expedition is very easy to make. Adding 16" is no big deal either. The difference between the Tahoe and Suburban wheelbase is 14".

Playdrv4me
08-03-05, 01:40 PM
Actually the entire F-Heavy Duty and up line is due for a complete makeover soon as their interiors are now way behind the rest of the Ford lineup even with recent updates. It was kind of a natural progression for the Excursion to be axed now, and it never really gained the same following the Suburban had. The Suburban is still the all around better truck. It looks better, it looks like its MADE to be the size that it is, and its just downright more solid.

ben72227
08-03-05, 02:52 PM
Well they just aren't practical vehicles - they guzzle gas and they're the poster child of why car drivers hate SUVs - too big and driven by someone too little:lildevil:. I really see the trend moving more towards Crossovers and even wagons (Dodge Magnum, HHR, etc.). These cars just aren't impressive any more (unless of course its a 'Lade:coolgleam ). And gas costs way too much for your average guy. Reminds me of the lendingtree.com commercial where hes living the good life and then he says, "Oh yeah, I'm up to my eyeballs in debt. Please Help me.":lildevil:

Elvis
08-03-05, 03:06 PM
Maybe more seat room (but not much at all), but I can seat 8 people in my 1996 Suburban AND their luggage. Can't do that in an Expedition, and only Ford SUV product that can is a Excursion. The Expedition is a useless vehicle for families with 6 to 8 people. I can't even take home a load of groceries in a Expedition! To tiny. The Excursions are just to $$. Come on, I don't have $50K to spend on a vehicle. In 1999, the Suburban base model (C1500, 350 Vortec) was $25K. What happened????

They needed a half ton version that is lower cost and softer ride Excursion, but being it is built on a 1 ton, heavy is the name of the game. It was just overkill to try to trump the 3/4t Suburban. They did, and it still flopped.

When I get the $$ I will likely pick up a used Excursion Diesel, but the used $$ are still too much.

H2's are a joke in my book. More status symbol, not really a practical truck. I need practical. Seat 8-9 people AND their cargo, capable of surviving Wisconsin winters and take long trips to anywhere in the US while getting reasonable mpg. Suburban does it well. At 213K miles, I am still getting 17.5 mpg highway, and 14.1 city. 4.6L and 5.4L Expeditions are lucky to break 12 mpg city or highway (based on several owners I have talked to.

Knowing what I know now, I might've given the Suburban stronger consideration when I bought the Expedition two months ago. I was afraid it was too big. Now that I'm used to it, I could go bigger.

As of right now, I'm just extremely happy. Can't think of anything I'd rather have. When it comes time to trade, I'll probably look at the ESV first. But that's at least six years down the road, possibly even 10. We may all be pumping hydrogen by then.

mccombie_5
08-03-05, 03:24 PM
Well i really wouldnt have bought an ESV if it wasnt to be purely used as a pleasure vehicle. It will, no doubt be doing the "relatives run" at Christmas because of all the seats. Last year We did two runs in my wifes car. It is useful for that, but i just like driving around in it, its why i got it, its impressive, and is essensially a big status symbol that serves no purpose. I can think of cheaper and better ways of moving people around, but i still love it, it doesnt go off road, and above all i look good in it.
Sounds vein. i dont care. i like it.
Wouldnt get an excursion or a suburban though. There isnt need for them here, hell there isnt need for the ESV, but it isnt about need with that. its WANT:D

Elvis
08-03-05, 03:31 PM
above all i look good in it.

Sounds vein. i dont care. i like it.

Wouldnt get an excursion or a suburban though. There isnt need for them here, hell there isnt need for the ESV, but it isnt about need with that. its WANT:D

I always say you have to fall in love with it first. Otherwise, what's the point of having it?

mccombie_5
08-03-05, 03:39 PM
I always say you have to fall in love with it first. Otherwise, what's the point of having it?

Well not all of the cars i have or have had ive fallen in love with. Like i could never fall in love with a beemer, but i owned a few. Just saw the ESV thought "wow thats different, i love that!" and got one. I just dont think theres any need for such big vehicles in this day and age. I am right in thinking a suburban or excursion is much bigger than my ESV yes? I dont see why anyone would need anything any bigger than than an ESV, unless you do need to move 9 people, but then you buy a van. Just my views. I, owning more than enough cars am no environmentalist but even id feel guilty driving one of those beasts. Respect to them for managing to sell so many though. The advertising must be mighty good :lildevil:

Jesda
08-03-05, 06:02 PM
Why an Excursion?

Horses, boats, trailers, etc.

c5 rv
08-03-05, 07:10 PM
In the late 90's Ford and Dodge both wanted to launch a Suburban killer: bigger & badder. Both were based on the HD versions of their pickups. The Dodge version was killed due to development costs and fleet fuel economy concerns.

Ralph
08-03-05, 07:20 PM
In the late 90's Ford and Dodge both wanted to launch a Suburban killer: bigger & badder. Both were based on the HD versions of their pickups. The Dodge version was killed due to development costs and fleet fuel economy concerns.

Would the new Durango be considered that now? Of course it's not as huge or heavy as an Excursion, but it's their biggest...

I like the Durangos, but the fuel costs alone would be killer. You can get one here $10,000 below sticker because they just aren't selling.

Sandy
08-03-05, 07:30 PM
Actually Mccombie 5 there is/was very very very little advertising for the Excursion. People who were interested in them found their way to the dealership. Did you ever decided between the Jag & the VW ?? If so, I missed it.

Playdrv4me
08-03-05, 07:44 PM
Yup, he got the Phaeton!

Ralph
08-03-05, 07:58 PM
Yup, he got the Phaeton!

What colors did he get?? I missed it..

Elvis
08-03-05, 10:18 PM
Well not all of the cars i have or have had ive fallen in love with. Like i could never fall in love with a beemer, but i owned a few. Just saw the ESV thought "wow thats different, i love that!" and got one. I just dont think theres any need for such big vehicles in this day and age. I am right in thinking a suburban or excursion is much bigger than my ESV yes? I dont see why anyone would need anything any bigger than than an ESV, unless you do need to move 9 people, but then you buy a van. Just my views. I, owning more than enough cars am no environmentalist but even id feel guilty driving one of those beasts. Respect to them for managing to sell so many though. The advertising must be mighty good :lildevil:

The Suburban is the same size as the ESV. Maybe the ESV is an inch longer due to bumper cladding or something like that, but it's basically the same platform. The Excursion is much bigger, but it's really just a glorified SuperDuty pickup.

There's a redneck machismo factor with the people I've known who bought the Excursion and Ford Super Duty trucks. They don't care at ALL about economy or practicalilty. They just want SIZE. I've known two people who bought Excursions, both switched back to extended cab F-250 diesels. They say they're much happier now.

N0DIH
08-04-05, 01:22 AM
In my case, I want the size for my family and I really want the diesel for the economy.

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 03:03 AM
What colors did he get?? I missed it..

Anthracite with Sunny Beige Comfort leather and relatively dark wood (i forget which :hide:)

In all fairness i got the ESV to pose in, and for the seating factor. Oh and its a big M***** F****** cadillac :D That is easily the biggest car Ive ever driven. I bought it because i like cadillacs, and i like luxury. And it looks beautiful. I wouldnt dream of using her to tow though. If i ever town anything small i use my Vauxhall and anything bigger gets hooked up to the Range. Anything bigger than that gets a flatbed :D

How many Excursions were sold, and how long was / is it in production?

Ralph
08-04-05, 04:39 AM
How many Excursions were sold, and how long was / is it in production?

It started around 1999.

Sandy
08-04-05, 02:53 PM
Really working me hard, MCcombie_5 !! Overtime!!

Excusion's first year was 1999. It went into productionon February 28th of 1999, when one (1) unit was made ! By the end of 1999, on December 31st, 29,685 had been manufactured.

For 2000 58,992 were made
For 2001 30,712 were made
For 2002 29,361 were made
For 2003 25,619 were made
For 2004 19,541 were made
2005s are still being manufactured, so no total(s) yet.

You asked how many were "sold" ~ It can be assumed that all
units MADE, were eventually SOLD !

DO NOT REQUEST A LISTING OF PIANT COLORS SINCE 1999 ! :banghead:

Ralph
08-04-05, 02:57 PM

Sandy, how many cars were my colour again???

:lildevil: :sneaky: Just kidding!

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 03:05 PM
Really working me hard, MCcombie_5 !! Overtime!!

Excusion's first year was 1999. It went into productionon February 28th of 1999, when one (1) unit was made ! By the end of 1999, on December 31st, 29,685 had been manufactured.

For 2000 58,992 were made
For 2001 30,712 were made
For 2002 29,361 were made
For 2003 25,619 were made
For 2004 19,541 were made
2005s are still being manufactured, so no total(s) yet.

You asked how many were "sold" ~ It can be assumed that all
units MADE, were eventually SOLD !

Thanks Sandy, a fountain of knowledge as always.
Wow! so a number probably exceeding 200,000 have been made. Thats alot. i didnt think that there was such demand for such a gargantuan machine. I dont know maybe its time for such beasts to die in favour of more economic cars. Im no environmentalist, but surely with modern technology there must be a more fuel efficient way of powering cars. I dont mind either way, i will always make sure my cars are well topped up on fuel ;)

Sandy
08-04-05, 05:51 PM
it's not a vehicle that I would ever buy. For Why ? There are just two of us, me & the wife. Our only offspring is 21 and has his own car bought for him by his grandparents, for a High School Graduation gift. So, we rarely go to the same places, together. You know how it is at that age. He wants to be with his buddies. I have always liked luxury sedans, because I was raised on them. Corvettes are georgous to look at, but nasty riding, cramped and too low to the ground for my likes, so I Have big 4-Dr sedans. Actually we don't like to food shop, so we go like 3 x a month and I really NEED that 20 Cu Ft trunk ! I've had 21 bags of groceries in there and 5 across the back seat & 2 on the floor. I am just not a Sport Ute kinda guy.

My "Excursion" ~

http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/greenKIN.jpg

My Suburban XL ~

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/P6250005.JPG

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 05:57 PM
I like the 'lade, but just because it is a cadillac, you can probably tell from my Phaeton/Jag thread i also like 4 doors. Theres a pattern
Deville
STS
Jag
Phaeton
Vectra is a low slung hatchback

I was also raised on the four door, evn though my fist drive was dads old E-Type......i like big four door cars, and the occasional coupe....... that Lincoln down there is nice, id take that over an excursion....

addison_ii
08-04-05, 06:03 PM
My "Excursion" ~

http://mark8.org/users/johnaec/greenKIN.jpg

Hey Sandy, I like your "Excursion:histeric: " .It's the new Lincoln S.U.V.(Sedan Utility Vehicle).

Sandy
08-04-05, 06:05 PM
Shopping Utility Vehicle ! :p

addison_ii
08-04-05, 06:07 PM
My Suburban XL ~

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/P6250005.JPG Wow, the Suburban XL is beautiful. No hauling anything in this one.
Sandy to wife: No, Honey we will not sit in the car. We must merely levitate so that the fine leather seating is not disturbed.:histeric:

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 06:08 PM
Shopping Utility Vehicle ! :p

haha yes.

Sandy
08-04-05, 06:53 PM
"" No hauling anything in this one.
Sandy to wife: No, Honey we will not sit in the car. We must merely levitate so that the fine leather seating is not disturbed. ""

E X A C T L Y !! Mileage is 9,821 in 12 years, or 818 miles per year. It has never been parked anywhere but in the garage! Pleasure ride and home. If we have to stop at a store, one of us remains with the car, ever "ON GUARD".

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 06:57 PM
"" No hauling anything in this one.
Sandy to wife: No, Honey we will not sit in the car. We must merely levitate so that the fine leather seating is not disturbed. ""

E X A C T L Y !! Mileage is 9,821 in 12 years, or 818 miles per year. It has never been parked anywhere but in the garage! Pleasure ride and home. If we have to stop at a store, one of us remains with the car, ever "ON GUARD".

THAT is how to look after a car! you had her from new then? We used to be like that with the DS. I didnt have her from new, but i knew the owner, and it lived in his garage during the winter. She ran wonderfully and only had 21,000 on the clock when i got her. And had little more when i sold her....

addison_ii
08-04-05, 07:14 PM
The oath you must take before you ride(oops excuse me) levitate in Sandy's Mint 60.

You do hereby swear that you will not harm or otherwise but not limited to destroy, touch anything, misplace anything, or distort the perfect harmony and sanctity in Mint 60. You will defend this car with your life. If ever a situation arises where Mint 60 is to be harmed you must at once sacrifice yourself. Now repeat after me: I state name will uphold this oath of Mint 60. I understand that refusal to accept this oath will result in my immediate disqualification of ridership priviledges. Failure to follow set forth guideline will result in my immediate termination. Any changes to this oath will not be approved or otherwise considered. Never, must I repeat NEVER ask to drive. No one other than Sandy is authorized to drive Mint 60. If at anytime the offer is made to buy Mint 60 I must respond emphatically: What, have you lost your mind? Hell no. No other versions of this oath are valid. I agree to this oath and hereby pledge undying allegiance to Mint 60.:histeric:

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 07:17 PM
The oath you must take before you ride(oops excuse me) levitate in Sandy's Mint 60.

You do hereby swear that you will not harm or otherwise but not limited to destroy, touch anything, misplace anything, or distort the perfect harmony and sanctity in Mint 60. You will defend this car with your life. If ever a situation arises where Mint 60 is to be harmed you must at once sacrifice yourself. Now repeat after me: I state name will uphold this oath of Mint 60. I understand that refusal to accept this oath will result in my immediate disqualification of ridership priviledges. Failure to follow set forth guideline will result in my immediate termination. Any changes to this oath will not be approved or otherwise considered. Never, must I repeat NEVER ask to drive. No one other than Sandy is authorized to drive Mint 60. If at anytime the offer is made to buy Mint 60 I must respond emphatically: What, have you lost your mind? Hell no. No other versions of this oath are valid. I agree to this oath and hereby pledge undying allegiance to Mint 60.:histeric:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :histeric: :histeric: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lildevil: I swear! Now can i ride, sorry, hover, Sandy? Pleeeeeese? She looks so purdy

Sandy
08-04-05, 08:22 PM
FanFreakenTastic!! I printed it and have made several copies to give out to my friends. They'll laugh like mad. They laugh at me now! Heck, I laugh with 'em! :D

Thsi is SOooo me, it's scary ! I'll tell about the time my wife....AHhh, maybe I better not...

Okay. The OEM mats are down on the floor. The wife gets in the car and unknowingly steps in bubble gum, that was in the curb, on a hot summer day, back in 1998. She plants her shoe right on my OEM factory Black Floor mat with Caddy wreath & crest!!!!! The next day, at 7AM when they open, I am AT the Dry Cleaners in panic mode. Together me & the dry cleaner worked to understand what I wanted. No color removing chemecals, not to go into a machine (it backs the backing of the mat) and destroys the welting. Using old world Chinese knowledge without dull knife scraping, he & I worked on breaking down the bubble gum into flakey pieces and keeping the carpet's infected area DRY thru use of certain chemicles, and ICE, to freeze it. After 40 or 50 minutes of work, we achieved susccess. The affected area was flawless.
I left, happy and $ 25.00 lighter. $$ well spent! So today, the factory black mats reside under these:

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/P6250004.JPG

addison_ii
08-04-05, 08:32 PM
FanFreakenTastic!! I printed it and have made several copies to give out to my friends. They'll laugh like mad. They laugh at me now! Heck, I laugh with 'em! :D

Thsi is SOooo me, it's scary ! I'll tell about the time my wife....AHhh, maybe I better not...

Okay. The OEM mats are down on the floor. The wife gets in the car and unknowingly steps in bubble gum, that was in the curb, on a hot summer day, back in 1998. She plants her shoe right on my OEM factory Black Floor mat with Caddy wreath & crest!!!!! The next day, at 7AM when they open, I am AT the Dry Cleaners in panic mode. Together me & the dry cleaner worked to understand what I wanted. No color removing chemiclas, not to go into a machine (it backs the backing of the mat) and destroys the welting. Using old world Chinese knowledge without dull knife scraping, he & I worked on breaking down the bubble gum into flakey pieces and keeping the carpet's infected area DRY thru use of certain chemicles. After 40 or 50 minutes of work, we achieved susccess. The affected area was flawless.
I left, happy and $ 25.00 lighter. $$ well spent! So today, the factory black mats reside under these:

Thank You. Thank You. I tried my best. I understand about the mats. I told my wife that our kids aren't to ride in my SLS until they get older or are highly supervised. Then she wanted to put their car seats in and I freaked out:bonkers: . I said: Those seats are not to touch my leather ever. She started laughing because she thought I was kidding, but I was like: :madtalkin :nono: :tisk: .

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 08:36 PM
Thank You. Thank You. I tried my best. I understand about the mats. I told my wife that our kids aren't to ride in my SLS until they get older or are highly supervised. Then she wanted to put their car seats in and I freaked out:bonkers: . I said: Those seats are not to touch my leather ever. She started laughing because she thought I was kidding, but I was like: :madtalkin :nono: :tisk: .

I was the samein 89/90 when my younger son was born, we ran a Jaguar XJ6 and a Peugeot 205. Jag had leather, no car seat in sight :D my wife knew better than to try...

c5 rv
08-04-05, 08:40 PM
Would the new Durango be considered that now? Of course it's not as huge or heavy as an Excursion, but it's their biggest...

I like the Durangos, but the fuel costs alone would be killer. You can get one here $10,000 below sticker because they just aren't selling.

It was going to be built on the RAM 2500/3500 chassis. I saw a couple mules and supposedly someone in the mideast had one made custom. I think the Durango is now built on the same platform as the Grand Cherokee.

When Chrysler bought Jeep and the rest of Renault North America, they inherited a mish-mash of platforms. Jeep truck engineering was all based on Ford PDGS CAD software,Chrysler had their own CAD system that ran on CDC mainframes (I don't remember the name), and Renault used CATIA on IBM mainframes. The Renault guy was made head of Chrysler engineering so, everything moved to CATIA. They just got everything sorted out when the Germans came to town.

Ralph
08-04-05, 08:57 PM
I think the Durango is now built on the same platform as the Grand Cherokee.

I thought the Durango didn't share a platform....but I'm not 100% on that...

LittleB
08-05-05, 01:14 PM
I had to drive my boyfriends Excursion to work for a month! MAN that thing sucks. I couldn't park ANYWHERE! It's like $115 bucks to fill that thing up. We went to Mexico in it, which was great (expensive, but very comfortable), but as for parking, or even just being on the street, its a monster! I looked so little in it, it was funny. Guys kept saying "What the hell are you doing driving that!?"

mccombie_5
08-05-05, 02:04 PM
I had to drive my boyfriends Excursion to work for a month! MAN that thing sucks. I couldn't park ANYWHERE! It's like $115 bucks to fill that thing up. We went to Mexico in it, which was great (expensive, but very comfortable), but as for parking, or even just being on the street, its a monster! I looked so little in it, it was funny. Guys kept saying "What the hell are you doing driving that!?"

You should see the hell I have with this thing, our parking spaces are smaller than yours in America. And good reason, Cadillac ESVs dont fit in the ones here. I have been known to park in those long spaces reserved for coaches because i cant get into a standard spot. This country hates my ESV :lildevil:

LittleB
08-05-05, 02:09 PM
You should see the hell I have with this thing, our parking spaces are smaller than yours in America. And good reason, Cadillac ESVs dont fit in the ones here. I have been known to park in those long spaces reserved for coaches because i cant get into a standard spot. This country hates my ESV :lildevil:

I feel your pain, but luckily i only had to drive it for a month! Maybe you should get a mini cooper <ewww yuck, i just threw up a little:vomit: :histeric: > just kidding...

LittleB
08-05-05, 02:10 PM
Hey how much is gas over there?

mccombie_5
08-05-05, 02:14 PM
I feel your pain, but luckily i only had to drive it for a month! Maybe you should get a mini cooper <ewww yuck, i just threw up a little:vomit: :histeric: > just kidding...

nah id feel like id lost the rest of my car if i got one of those... i like four doors ;) and its about .80 a litre, and thats about $1.50 a litre :)

Randy_W
08-05-05, 02:24 PM
The new Grand Cherokee shares a version of the new Durango platform. The last gen did also, though the size was quite a bit smaller. The new platform is loosely based on the Ram platform. but obviously smaller.

Playdrv4me
08-05-05, 08:54 PM
Whoa whoa whoa... No no no...

The Grand Cherokee does not and HAS NOT EVER shared a platform with the Durango. The current ones may have some passing commonalities but the platforms are NOT the same.

Moreover, the 99-2004 model was completely independent from any other Chrysler model as well. The previous Durango was born out of the Dakota platform, while the current Dakota came along after the new Durango was introduced, but neither of the two share platforms with the Grand Cherokee. The biggest clue to this is the Grand Cherokee's "uni-frame" chassis. The Durango has a bolted on body on frame design.

The only vehicle the Grand Cherokee loosely shared platforms with is the Liberty, which is both a shortened IFS version of the previous GC's chassis, and its 3.7L V6 is basically the 4.7 V8 with two cylinders lopped off.

mccombie_5
08-05-05, 09:11 PM
I didnt realise the Grand was unibody. I wonder if my Range is. I dont think so....Im going to see if i can find out.

Ralph
08-05-05, 11:35 PM
A couple years ago we test drove the Hemi Durango (I posted a thread for it) and I THOUGHT the salesman told me it was it's own special chassis/platform.

majax
08-06-05, 04:21 AM
nah id feel like id lost the rest of my car if i got one of those... i like four doors ;) and its about .80 a litre, and thats about $1.50 a litre :)

That is about $5.67 a gallon:bonkers:

mccombie_5
08-06-05, 04:48 AM
That is about $5.67 a gallon:bonkers:

I think a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon. either way it is approximately 4.00+ for a gallon of petrolium or diesel. That is about $7.10 for a UK gallon.

Randy_W
08-06-05, 08:43 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... No no no...

The Grand Cherokee does not and HAS NOT EVER shared a platform with the Durango. The current ones may have some passing commonalities but the platforms are NOT the same.

Moreover, the 99-2004 model was completely independent from any other Chrysler model as well. The previous Durango was born out of the Dakota platform, while the current Dakota came along after the new Durango was introduced, but neither of the two share platforms with the Grand Cherokee. The biggest clue to this is the Grand Cherokee's "uni-frame" chassis. The Durango has a bolted on body on frame design.

The only vehicle the Grand Cherokee loosely shared platforms with is the Liberty, which is both a shortened IFS version of the previous GC's chassis, and its 3.7L V6 is basically the 4.7 V8 with two cylinders lopped off.

From a Jeep engineer's interview: all-new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV of the Year," and the Dodge Durango, share the same platform, he said. " ...

Playdrv4me
08-06-05, 01:56 PM
From a Jeep engineer's interview: all-new 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV of the Year," and the Dodge Durango, share the same platform, he said. " ...

That has to be a misquote or he was mistaken, plain and simple. A uni-body car and a body on frame car are inherently different vehicles with different engineering principles. They may share some components, but to simply say they are the same platform is too broad of a statement.

"The all-new Grand Cherokee is built in Detroit using a new steel uniframe construction, a close marriage of a welded steel unit body and underlying front and rear modules, a completely different approach from the new body-on-frame Durango, so although its inside volume and overall size are both similar to the Dodge's, this Jeep is not a clone of the Durango, but a unibody Jeep design through and through."

Playdrv4me
08-06-05, 02:00 PM
I think a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon. either way it is approximately 4.00+ for a gallon of petrolium or diesel. That is about $7.10 for a UK gallon.

I remember seeing on TopGear that a U.S. Gallon of gas over there runs about 8 or 9.00. That is absolute insanity, a 30 gal tank is 270.00 to fill!

mccombie_5
08-06-05, 02:11 PM
I remember seeing on TopGear that a U.S. Gallon of gas over there runs about 8 or 9.00. That is absolute insanity, a 30 gal tank is 270.00 to fill!

It cost me 70 to fill the tank on my Vectra this morning, thats $124 and that is the most economical car i have. Most of it is tax too :yup: I spend alot of money on fuel......can you see why i didnt buy the W12 Phaeton now? :)
Then again, diesel is running more than petrol now. it costs 0.92 a litre $1.63 US. its a rip off i tell you. :ripped: :ripped: