: This is the last post from the dell

Stoneage_Caddy
08-02-05, 10:21 PM
Well tonight is the last night for the dell . Im in the process of moving a few files off it to my external drive before i unhook it . Shes served dutifully since 2000 , but the last rash of problems (really the first problems it ever had) and an issue that i cant play the one game i ever bought (generals) means it was time to replace.

Best buy had a nice deal on a little computer , has a AMD 64 2.2 processor ,160 gig hd , dvdrw burner ,512 ram for 499 aft rebates...theres a bunch of other numbers too ....i had my dad and little brother approve it before i bought since i have no friggin clue what im doing, they were very impressed (there nerds)...also had something about fire wires...all i know is that celerons are like the cavaliers of the computer world , cheap ...and cheap cuz they are slow n crappy...so i told the dude there i didnt want no cleron....

so i bid farewell to the dell .....its been a good little soldier ....its being given to my little brother who will do who knows what to it ...

:cookoo:

Adumb
08-02-05, 10:25 PM
dells are nice, i post from one, cant remember when i bought it,

ben72227
08-02-05, 11:39 PM
Dells are great (I'm typing from one) but they seem to have a problem with their hard-drives going out. Mine did, and i read on the internet that a lot of other people's did too. So i got it replaced with a 160 Gig hard drive, which has WAY too much space for me, I'll never use it all, but what the heck...

Ralph
08-02-05, 11:42 PM
My AMD (Certified Data) has been absolutely flawless since I got it late last year. When my Dad got a laptop back in Dec, at first he got 2 Toshiba Celerons and they had to go back. They just kept jamming, complete junk, but I made him pay the extra 100 bucks for the Pentium 4 and it's been great too.

The thing about AMD that I've heard is that they aren't actually as fast, (spec wise) but because of the design of the chip, they run as fast as something like a Pentium 4. Maybe someone can correct me if I heard it explained wrong....

AMD is sort of like a turbo 4 cylender and the Pentium is the Cadillac V8....they both get the job done...

My Uncle had a lot of problems with his Dell.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-02-05, 11:42 PM
my dell was 5 years old , still had the original 20 gig ....it was great ...

online with the new machine now ....

i cant belive how fast the internet is ....all i can say is WOW.....

im still giggleing how my yahoo mail is instant now , click and link and no waiting there the message ...then go back and its BOOM right back like i never left ....incredible how fast this is

best part ? i can read things again online ....everything was all garbled and crap after i got my new monitor and put it ont he dell ....no i have something that can operate my montior worth a damn

Ralph
08-02-05, 11:45 PM
my dell was 5 years old , still had the original 20 gig ....it was great ...

online with the new machine now ....

i cant belive how fast the internet is ....all i can say is WOW.....

im still giggleing how my yahoo mail is instant now , click and link and no waiting there the message ...then go back and its BOOM right back like i never left ....incredible how fast this is

best part ? i can read things again online ....everything was all garbled and crap after i got my new monitor and put it ont he dell ....no i have something that can operate my montior worth a damn

Oh, you got the new one already??

Cool! When I made the changeover from the 1997 166 mhz!!! I couldn't believe the speed either. although, the forum sems to be a little slower tonite.

danbuc
08-02-05, 11:46 PM
My Dad has a dell.....I't pretty nice. I 'm built the machine I'm typing on right now. Always like building them myself. You get to choose all the best stuff, and can usually get it much cheapr too...hehe.

illumina
08-03-05, 12:11 AM
AMD processors have a tendency to overheat very quickly if the CPU fan goes out. To all of those AMD users, if the CPU fan fails, turn the PC off until it is replaced because I've seen what a 2 gig (enormous power and heat to boot) AMD processor can do when they overheat: fries the motherboard...Literally!

Ralph
08-03-05, 12:22 AM
AMD processors have a tendency to overheat very quickly if the CPU fan goes out. To all of those AMD users, if the CPU fan fails, turn the PC off until it is replaced because I've seen what a 2 gig (enormous power and heat to boot) AMD processor can do when they overheat: fries the motherboard...Literally!

Question 4 U Mike....you know how when you initially turn on the computer and its booting up, and for a moment you are able to see the CPU temperature on that black page.........is it possible to check the temp ANYTIME, or can you only see it at boot up????

Kev
08-03-05, 12:33 AM
AMD processors have a tendency to overheat very quickly if the CPU fan goes out. To all of those AMD users, if the CPU fan fails, turn the PC off until it is replaced because I've seen what a 2 gig (enormous power and heat to boot) AMD processor can do when they overheat: fries the motherboard...Literally!The newer AMD chips have imporved tremendously, they have overcome the thermal problems, some run cooler than the Intels now. The older chips like the 2000 were hot runners, if the fan fails you have mere seconds before it fries. The newer architcture, AMD 64 are much better and the performance is more like a GN compared to a 4.5.

illumina
08-03-05, 12:39 AM
Question 4 U Mike....you know how when you initially turn on the computer and its booting up, and for a moment you are able to see the CPU temperature on that black page.........is it possible to check the temp ANYTIME, or can you only see it at boot up????

To see the temperature anytime, you'll likely have to download some software to do the reading for you. Otherwise, the bootup deal is about the best you can do. You might also be able to se it from the BIOS, but that will be on bootup anyways.

Now with my PC, I have said software, but it will only work for Biostar mainboards. Other software is availiable though for your setup, likely as a general purpose deal.

illumina
08-03-05, 12:42 AM
The newer AMD chips have imporved tremendously, they have overcome the thermal problems, some run cooler than the Intels now. The older chips like the 2000 were hot runners, if the fan fails you have mere seconds before it fries. The newer architcture, AMD 64 are much better and the performance is more like a GN compared to a 4.5.

True. I haven't had to worry though about mine because I have a nice open case window. If the fans go out, I'll know about it.

Kev
08-03-05, 12:46 AM
True. I haven't had to worry though about mine because I have a nice open case window. If the fans go out, I'll know about it.I have a work station that I put together with an AMD 2000. I got the primo extra mondo CPU fan, two extra case fans and a 500 watt power supply with two built in fans. I don't want that baby frying on me. It has served me well the last three years, still running strong. Fortunately all the fans are very quiet. I've heard some towers that sounded like they had hair dryers in them!

Ralph
08-03-05, 12:52 AM
Ok, thanks Mike, that's kinda what I figured. I thought it would be neat. There isn't anything added in my tower except an extra strip of 256 mb, so there is so much space I doubt it would "fry" even if the fan went out...

My fan is completely quiet, in fact, I have to put my hand over it sometimes just to see if its still working!! However, playing a CD is VERY noisy, and its difficult to hear the music unless you turn it up quite high.

Kev
08-03-05, 01:03 AM
For nostalgias sake, here is a link to download a video showing how fast the old Athlon 1.4 (1400) would go up in smoke after taking the fan and heatsink off. It was pretty scarry stuff back in the day, one of the reasons why I have so many fans in my work station.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/heatvideo-05.html

powerglide
08-03-05, 01:06 AM
Yup.....my Dell is pretty friggin old too.
Its runng Win98.5, 256 ram, 11GB HD.....emty drive bays, duct tape holding it together.
Aside from the fact that some of the programs I want to run like iTunes and Skype won;t run unless I upgrade to XP. So I am thinking of buying anew....maybe the iMac, its pretty slick) Then again I am tempted to buy another Dell, they are selling their wide screen 20.5 inch flat panels for 480 bucks!

illumina
08-03-05, 01:13 AM
For nostalgias sake, here is a link to download a video showing how fast the old Athlon 1.4 (1400) would go up in smoke after taking the fan and heatsink off. It was pretty scarry stuff back in the day, one of the reasons why I have so many fans in my work station.

My Linux machine with the Intel (1 gig) has about 6 fans. They all light up blue too :woohoo:

Ralph
08-03-05, 05:22 PM
You guys got me thinking about the heat on the AMD, so for the first time in months I took off the side panal and I couldn't believe all the dust!!! It was all over the bottom on the fan blades and covered the chips, etc!!! I tool my vacuum cleaner and got it back to normal. I imagine all the dust wouldn't help it keep cool, and I can only imagine how much dust is in my 5 year old 32 in. TV!!

Looks like there are 2 cooling fans, one right over the CPU with some silver cooling fins or whatever, and another at the back of the tower...

Playdrv4me
08-03-05, 05:27 PM

GEEZ!!! 568 DEGREES??? Shite I think the argument for Intel vs. AMD has just been made. The Intel processors ran without the cooling fan and even with were a max of 100 degrees F. The AMD's both FRIED and were at 350-570 degrees! That means they must have still been running at at least 100 degrees to begin with.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-03-05, 05:52 PM
mine run for almost 24 hours starught , its been hell on this new machine copying all 80 gigs of my extran drive to the new computers internal 160 , as soon as im done im boxing the external up and putting it int he closet , hopefully reducing the chances of looseing the data on it ....

now i moved my favorites folder from the dell to the external , how do i move it to the new one and, should i move it to the new one ? anything i should know about moving any more files that were on the dell ? all i have moved over thus far is my mp3 collection and 2 pictures

Ralph
08-03-05, 07:39 PM
Heat will be the test to see if it breaks down or not. Especially the heat in Florida, but I imagine you have AC is the house going all the time also...

Kev
08-03-05, 08:27 PM
GEEZ!!! 568 DEGREES??? Shite I think the argument for Intel vs. AMD has just been made. The Intel processors ran without the cooling fan and even with were a max of 100 degrees F. The AMD's both FRIED and were at 350-570 degrees! That means they must have still been running at at least 100 degrees to begin with.Easy there big fella! remember I wrote "Nostalgia" that example was from 2001, the old AMD Athlon 1400. Those up through the 2000's at least were excellent performers but they required constant cooling and lots of it. Since then AMD has surpassed Intel in CPU thermal control. They run much cooler and have thermal safeguards, they shut down automatically without damage if the temp rises substantially.

Today's AMD CPU's are the bomb! (in a good way!)

Stoneage_Caddy
08-03-05, 09:01 PM
i cant seem to wrap my procesor out , im downlaoding msn messenger , making a mp3 cd (80s baby !) surfing the web and some other crap that i cant seem to remeber ...and shes still quick on websites other than this one .....LOL

Kev
08-03-05, 09:07 PM
i cant seem to wrap my procesor out , im downlaoding msn messenger , making a mp3 cd (80s baby !) surfing the web and some other crap that i cant seem to remeber ...and shes still quick on websites other than this one .....LOLIt's good to have a machine that doesn't make you wait!! :coolgleam

Ralph
08-03-05, 09:08 PM
It's good to have a machine that doesn't make you wait!! :coolgleam

Kev, are there just normally the two fans in a tower?? Did you say you added more? Aren't two enough?

Stoneage_Caddy
08-03-05, 09:09 PM
you outta seen some of the processor coolers i found when reserching my solar powered humidor idea ....LIQUID COOLED !!!!!

Ralph
08-03-05, 09:13 PM
you outta seen some of the processor coolers i found when reserching my solar powered humidor idea ....LIQUID COOLED !!!!!

processor coolers???

I know that there is a Sony computer (around $3,000) that somehow uses liquid cooling......sounds interesting, might be worth a google to see how they work.

Kev
08-03-05, 09:14 PM
Kev, are there just normally the two fans in a tower?? Did you say you added more? Aren't two enough?Yes

You have a newer AMD with lower thermal qualities so the two that you have are likely fine unless your tower is running in a location that will see sustained temps above 85 deg f. My work station is running an AMD Athlon 2000, it needs to stay cool and my office gets warm (no A/C, just windows and fans) so, as a precaution, I installed two extra case fans and a power supply that had two built in fans.

The two that you have are;
1. The CPU fan mounted on the heat sink over the CPU
2. The power supply fan which draws air from the case through the power supply.

You should be fine with those Ralph, no worries.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-03-05, 09:18 PM
if it isnt ralph , toss it outside int he snow ....natures processor cooler

Adam
08-03-05, 09:19 PM
i cant seem to wrap my procesor

:D HA!... nevermind.

Ralph
08-03-05, 09:23 PM
if it isnt ralph , toss it outside int he snow ....natures processor cooler

LOL, not when it's supposed to be 90F tomorrow.... :tisk:

Stoneage_Caddy
08-03-05, 09:25 PM
90 eh ?

you need to devlop a molson cooled canuck processor

illumina
08-03-05, 10:25 PM
LOL, not when it's supposed to be 90F tomorrow.... :tisk:

I really wouldn't worry about your processor doing any damage. Your PC is new and everything should be fine. Also, what speed is your processor running? Because like Kev said, the newer AMD's will be fine.

Now for my problem: does anyone know where I can find a good used cheap laptop from somewhere other than Ebay?

Elvis
08-03-05, 10:32 PM
Have you tried eBay?

Kev
08-03-05, 10:43 PM
I really wouldn't worry about your processor doing any damage. Your PC is new and everything should be fine. Also, what speed is your processor running? Because like Kev said, the newer AMD's will be fine.

Now for my problem: does anyone know where I can find a good used cheap laptop from somewhere other than Ebay?How cheap and what specs do you need?

illumina
08-03-05, 11:41 PM
Have you tried eBay?

Yes, I've checked Ebay out and they have a nice selection. All I'm trying to do is get the best deal possible, even if that includes someplace other than ebay.

How cheap and what specs do you need?

I'm not looking for a big RAM gamer or anything. The ones I've seen on Ebay for around the $250.00 average are about as follows:

128 mb ram,
5 gig hdd,
+/- 450 CPU speed.

OS not needed because I have all CD's of every OS that I would use. Windows 2000 will likely be the OS for my new laptop.

OH, and should I find a new laptop, it will be replacing the following:

192 mb ram (the 128 ram stick has failed, thus it's now 64 mb),
5 gig hdd,
433 mhtz CPU speed,

The following components have failed. The cost for these components are too much for the risk of something else failing and thus a newer laptop is needed/desired:

CD-ROM drive,
Floppy drive,
Keyboard,
Aforementioned RAM stick,
Both CPU fans,
I'm sure there is something else on the list too...

So far, the cost of repairs is getting into the $400.00 territory, and simply not worth it.

So in short, I don't need DVD burning fast action laptops, just something that will satisfy my needs for school and for extra-curricular projects for my car :devil:

Kev
08-04-05, 12:21 AM
Did a quick Google and came up with these;

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_inspn2200?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1103999&sourceid=qIpwQvGWhU8XAl301A8w&siteid=0039711956&CMP=AFC-AFFIL&CatId=0

http://www.laptopcloseout.com/usa/store.html

There are a few interesting choices there. In my area there are computer shows every couple of months, there are usually a few choices for cheap there. I don't know where you are but I'd bet there are shows in your area too.

That help at all?

illumina
08-04-05, 12:36 AM
Did a quick Google and came up with these;

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/cto_inspn2200?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1103999&sourceid=qIpwQvGWhU8XAl301A8w&siteid=0039711956&CMP=AFC-AFFIL&CatId=0

http://www.laptopcloseout.com/usa/store.html

There are a few interesting choices there. In my area there are computer shows every couple of months, there are usually a few choices for cheap there. I don't know where you are but I'd bet there are shows in your area too.

That help at all?

Yes, thank you very much :thumbsup:

I've been eyeballing those Dell Lattitude C610 laptops for a few days from Ebay. They seem to make a nice laptop...

Kev
08-04-05, 12:44 AM
Yes, thank you very much :thumbsup:

I've been eyeballing those Dell Lattitude C610 laptops for a few days from Ebay. They seem to make a nice laptop...The entry level Dells are so cheap now it's hardly worth the $2-300 savings with a used model.

illumina
08-04-05, 12:50 AM
The entry level Dells are so cheap now it's hardly worth the $2-300 savings with a used model.

They're not bad at all, but the 90 day warranty concerns me just a bit...I'm going to check out the warranty options through the "customize it" options.

Kev
08-04-05, 01:11 AM
They're not bad at all, but the 90 day warranty concerns me just a bit...I'm going to check out the warranty options through the "customize it" options.Watch out! That'll cost ya! :)

illumina
08-04-05, 01:16 AM
Watch out! That'll cost ya! :)

I think $19.00 extra would be well worth it for a full 1 year warranty. The next step would be an 1 year in-house repair warranty for $59.00, which isn't too terrible. But Hell, if anything is going to happen to the laptop, it will likely be in the first few months. Then sometimes, nothing will happen at all.

illumina
08-04-05, 01:50 AM
Kev, my brother-in-law just recommended an Acer laptop. I looked them up at Newegg and they seem to be a much better value than the Dell I was looking at...He mentioned this to me because he has serious issues with Dell...But this Acer is looking very good and the reviews have been very positive about this laptop thus far.

The only complaints so far have been very mediocre battery life, but everything else seems to be in good order with these Acer thingys.

The runner-up from Newegg is a Hewlit-Packard and the one model is about $100.00 more than the Acer. I haven't researched that one yet.

Kev
08-04-05, 01:59 AM
Kev, my brother-in-law just recommended an Acer laptop. I looked them up at Newegg and they seem to be a much better value than the Dell I was looking at...He mentioned this to me because he has serious issues with Dell...But this Acer is looking very good and the reviews have been very positive about this laptop thus far.

The only complaints so far have been very mediocre battery life, but everything else seems to be in good order with these Acer thingys.

The runner-up from Newegg is a Hewlit-Packard and the one model is about $100.00 more than the Acer. I haven't researched that one yet.I haven't heard anything bad about Acer. Battery life depends on the CPU, some last 1 1/2 hrs some last 4. Most all batteries in laptops will average one year life span +/-. Check Toms Hardware, they are pretty good about reviews.

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

http://www17.tomshardware.com/search/search.html?category=all&words=acer+laptops

illumina
08-04-05, 02:04 AM
I haven't heard anything bad about Acer. Battery life depends on the CPU, some last 1 1/2 hrs some last 4. Most all batteries in laptops will average one year life span +/-. Check Toms Hardware, they are pretty good about reviews.

http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

http://www17.tomshardware.com/search/search.html?category=all&words=acer+laptops

The battery life for this Acer is about 1.5 hours. Really though, I'm not real concerned with battery life as long as the cord is long enough to hook into a wall somewhere. When I do work on the car or something though, the battery will be important.

Kev
08-04-05, 03:13 AM
The battery life for this Acer is about 1.5 hours. Really though, I'm not real concerned with battery life as long as the cord is long enough to hook into a wall somewhere. When I do work on the car or something though, the battery will be important.Of course you can always get a power supply that plugs into the car, cigar lighter. I use that on mine when I am on a driving trip and have someone to drive for me. :cool:

jng29
03-23-07, 01:10 AM
i suggest u read all the side by side studies recently done buddy,,,even gaming comparisons,,,,,,,,amd's fx series cant stand next to intels core duo series at the same price

illumina
03-23-07, 03:20 AM
Why has this thread been brought back after 1.5 years?

ShadowLvr400
03-23-07, 09:37 AM
I'm not a fan of my dell, because despite ads of how easy they are to upgrade, this thing's been a bloody nightmare. Next computer is going to be a noname brand again. My old Monorail still runs, though its simply too old to be of use. Celeron 400 mhz processor. I may however set it back up and overclock it up to 500.