: Crusing vibration; Could it be the Clutch?

steve711
08-02-05, 08:15 PM
The cruising vibration is unbarable at this point.(68 to 82)
Im thinking it could be a clutch problem of some kind (you technical wizards feel free to chime in).
Normal driving up to this point (7800 miles)
Im thinking of having it checked.
Does my theory hold water?

Florian
08-02-05, 08:27 PM
Steve-o,

I had the same issue, 5th and 6th Id have terrible vibration from the drivetrain, found out the 2 piece flywheel had come apart and was a bit loose, I got a new tranny and new flywheel from the General as a result. I got a new clutch too, but I paid for that.

F

steve711
08-02-05, 08:47 PM
Hmm sounds like the flywheel is the prob.I'll have em check that too.

A couple of Qs
At what speeds was your Vib?
After they replaced your tranny & flywheel did the vib stop or did the new clutch fix it?.

miko442
08-02-05, 09:09 PM
Like florian, at about 6000 miles my V started to have a vibration from 70 to 85 mph. Dealer tried new diriveshaft, new tires, finally found that the tranny was defective. My symptons was the vibration was only in 6th gear, very slight in 5th. A good test is drive to 85 mph and then press in the clutch, ( or coast if you feel comfortable )if your vibration is gone, this eliminates items such as tires, balancing, brakes, just be careful when going back in gear after test.

steve711
08-02-05, 09:30 PM
So Vibration = bad tranny,Fly wheel loosness and possible clutch failure
I will deffinitly have all the items checked out.
Thx guys

Florian
08-02-05, 09:35 PM
Heres the way I could tell: Set it in cruise about 70 mph...let it go down a few long hills, as you get toward the bottom and more power is required for speed I'd notice the vibration coming back. So I figured, tranny or driveline. Then, get up to about 70, non cruise, and push the clutch to the floor, any vib? With my car, it was smooth as glass with the clutch in. As soon as I let it out, vibration came back. Speeds were about 50-90 mph 5th and 6th gear.

Hope this helps...good luck

Florian