: Running but ............... 2001 Northstar

spartan1707
03-12-14, 10:54 PM
My North Star has started to run funny. Full tune up was done 30k ago. Now it has run hard the last 6k. No codes pop up and only under load do I hear the knock sensors. It's a 01' so it gets regular but I've been putting Premium in it and still every now and then here the knocking. Looking to see if anyone has had this issue and what could it be. Also I'm at 129k total miles on the Boss looking to get 500k from this Baby.

99Classillac
03-13-14, 08:09 AM
What temps do the knocking occur? Cold or when the motor is at operating temps? Also, when does it happen? Under heavy acceleration or load, or does it happen even under light acceleration and cruising?

----------

Ha, you said under load. I'm sorry. Well to clarify, under heavy load?

----------

Oh, knock sensors don't make any noise. They are just sensors that sense for knocking. Once they sense knock, they adjust ignition timing accordingly to reduce or eliminate knock.

----------

And the knock they are sensing is really pre-ignition. That's why they adjust ignition timing, to reduce the chance of pre-ignition

rodnok01
03-13-14, 08:50 AM
First thing I would ask is what plugs were used?

99Classillac
03-13-14, 03:56 PM
It can be the plugs... But anything other than those ACDelcos wouldn't have lasted 30K miles I don't think. If it did, he got lucky.