: Weeds, WEEDS, WEEEEEDDDS!

Dadillac
08-01-05, 09:56 PM
I have been a homeowner now for almost four years. Every year, my lawn starts out weed free. At the beginning of the spring, I lay down some weed killer/fertilizer, to get a jump on the weeding, that always happens. Every year at aroung July/August, the weeds are running rampant on the lawn. Apparently, I do not have the knowledge, or am not using the correct chemicals, to keep my lawn weed free. Right now, my lawn is about 40% weeds. It is driving me insane. What do all of you's use, to keep the weeds in check? How often do you apply the stuff? I really need a tutorial on this subject, as the weeds are kicking my butt. I water the lawn, in the evening, almost everyday. Watering in the morning is not an option, even though, I know it is the best time to do so. Please help.

Don

SLS97
08-01-05, 10:12 PM
Try the Scotts web site. Type in your zip and they'll help you www.scottslawnservice.com/
I use ChemLawn. They come about quartley or sooner.They treat my lawn with what it needs and leaves a sign in the yard stating they were here and the invoice will be hanging on my door. They do a real nice job.

Rolex
08-01-05, 10:13 PM
I had Bermuda sod installed. Bermuda is like a weed itself.....the later you go into summer the thicker it grows, and it chokes everything else out. My weed problem is mostly earlier in the year. For that I get year round visits from a professional lawn treatment service. Hire the pros my friend. :D

ETA: If you want a cheaper route, the folks at the big chain hardware store are really helpful about helping find sprays to kill nuisance weeds. Have them recommend you something. Either way, good luck.

RBraczyk
08-01-05, 11:43 PM
Try the Scotts web site. Type in your zip and they'll help you www.scottslawnservice.com/
I use ChemLawn. They come about quartley or sooner.They treat my lawn with what it needs and leaves a sign in the yard stating they were here and the invoice will be hanging on my door. They do a real nice job.

Chemlawn turn out to be turds after a while, trying to boss you around and make you spend hundreds of dollars on their treatments that may or may not work.

THey still do decent work though.

airbalancer
08-02-05, 07:46 AM
I find Scott products are excellant when I remember to use it.
Get a lawn service for a year or two get the lawn up to parr, the do it yourself

Jesda
08-02-05, 09:13 AM
I could go for an Astroturf yard.

Boombotz
08-02-05, 11:10 AM
I could go for an Astroturf yard.

Me Too!!! Already priced it and decided not for this house, but when I build new I think that is the route to go. It is a little pricey but when you add up all the stuff you no longer have to pay for it works out to your advantage.

I just called that scotts lawn service though. They are going to come and give a evaluation of my lawn. I wasn't even the one to start this thread, but who knows maybe I'll get something out of it.

Elvis
08-02-05, 11:48 AM
Here's what you need:

http://drexchem.com//Products/Images/10040.jpg
http://www.drexchem.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=10040

Kills the bad stuff, leaves the good stuff like bermuda grass behind. We start using it around the middle of May, and by the end of July the bermuda fills in the dead spots. You need 80-90 degree days or warmer for it to be effective. The warmer it is, the weaker your mixture can be.

NEXT YEAR, get some Treflan or Balan and apply it before April 1st. Then apply it again around May 1st. It's a granular pre-emerge that keeps those bad seeds from germinating. Since you're in Jersey, I'm recommending a later application date than what I would do down here. You can also apply it in the fall and it will help keep those cool weather weeds from popping up. My guess is September 15th for you.

The Scotts stuff is really good in late spring or early summer. Apply it in the morning when there's dew on the grass, or after a light rain because it needs to stick to the broadleaf weeds. No single approach will do it all the first time around. You have to kill those weeds two or three different ways. THEN you can probably get away with just using liberal amounts of pre-emerge in the spring and fall.

One more thing--if your neighbors aren't taking care of their lawns or at least making a moderate effort, forget everything I said. You'll be fighting a losing battle--or buy enough to do their yards as well!

Adam
08-02-05, 12:03 PM
our neighbor across the street has bermuda grass and ive never seen them weed wacking. unfortunately im my dads weed killer, me and the weed trimmer.

illumina
08-02-05, 04:43 PM
I don't have to worry about weeds. I live in a nice ghetto-like apartment complex that gets lawn treatment every two weeks. The Mexicans hired to do the job do a fine job.

SilverCTS
08-02-05, 04:52 PM
I have been a homeowner now for almost four years. Every year, my lawn starts out weed free. At the beginning of the spring, I lay down some weed killer/fertilizer, to get a jump on the weeding, that always happens. Every year at aroung July/August, the weeds are running rampant on the lawn. Apparently, I do not have the knowledge, or am not using the correct chemicals, to keep my lawn weed free. Right now, my lawn is about 40% weeds. It is driving me insane. What do all of you's use, to keep the weeds in check? How often do you apply the stuff? I really need a tutorial on this subject, as the weeds are kicking my butt. I water the lawn, in the evening, almost everyday. Watering in the morning is not an option, even though, I know it is the best time to do so. Please help.

Don

I gave up. I was tired of having the worst looking lawn in my development. Scott's weed & feed and all that other stuff you put down is basically useless. For the first time since I bought my current house, I am using a lawn service. They said it will take a couple years to get the lawn looking good.

The backyard already looks much better, but my front yard was nothing but crab grass for years--so I need another year or so to get that in shape.

mccombie_5
08-02-05, 05:05 PM
Because i built my house, the land around it that is now my gardens was a dump, there was nothing growing except weeds, i rotated all of the soil and planted lawns and laid terraces etc. the weeds still came, i decided to get a gardener last year, and so far he has worked wonders. He has stopped yellow growing into the Privet hedging, and has made the lawns look fantastic. before i got him in it was like, patch of lawn, patch of weeds, hedge. now it reallly does look great. i'll ask him what he uses when i next talk to him.

Dadillac
08-02-05, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all of the help. It would practically kill me to hire somebody to do my lawn. It is in my nature, that if I can do the job, I will not pay anyone to do it. I cannot help that. But, how much does a lawn service run? Is it reasonable ($100.00 per month, or less), or pricey? I want my lawn to be beautiful, but am not willing to spend lots of my cash on it. As far as the neighbors, I am SOL on that. Even with my 40% weeded lawn, I still have the best looking lawn on the street (except for the old guy on the corner. He lives for his lawn, and it looks amazing). I usually use Scotts products, but my results are terrible. I am weary of using the weed killer more than twice a year, as I do not want to damage the grass. To stay on top of the weeds, I am figuring I need to spread the killer, in late April, sometime in mid June, sometime in mid August, and maybe in October. To me, and I believe the instructions on the bag, this is way too much. But, maybe the voice of experience (that is where you guys come in :thumbsup: ) can tell me otherwise. Keep the replies coming. thanks

Don

malcolm
08-02-05, 07:25 PM
Go with the Scott's 4 step program. For a lot 5000 sq ft you can get all 4 steps for around $50.00. If you want to go crazy you can add a 5th step with a winterizer. If you want to seed in the spring use the step 1 that allows seeding otherwise the crab grass preveenter will also prevent your seed from sprouting. Follow the instructions on the bags for when to put it down. You should also spring for a spreader, probably 30 or 40 bucks at Home Depot, get the broadcast type, I think it's called Scotts Speedy Green. With the heat we are having right now most lawns look like siht but they will come back as soon as it cools off and we get some rain. It's not a bad idea to throw some seed in the fall too. Check out http://www.scotts.com (http://www.scotts.com/) It may take a year or two to get it going. If you have a bigger lot they also sell 15,000 sq ft bags.
For spot weed killing, Ortho Weed Be Gone is good, kills the weeds without killing the grass.

Rolex
08-03-05, 01:38 AM
how much does a lawn service run? Is it reasonable ($100.00 per month, or less), or pricey?

Don

My service is 60 bucks a visit and they make 8 to 10 visits per year.

turbojimmy
08-03-05, 06:17 AM
I gave up. I was tired of having the worst looking lawn in my development.

I gave up, too. But I am perfectly content having the worst looking lawn in my development. The builder planted crappy grass (fescue?) in clay. There's no topsoil, which is ironic because the development was built on FARM but the scumbag sold the topsoil and had rocky clay brought in for fill. After 6 years none of the original bare spots have filled in and re-seeding is pointless because it won't 'take' in the clay. You can't dig 1/2 and inch without hitting boulders and stones. The only way to get a decent looking lawn is to rip it all out, haul in topsoil and either plant decent seed or roll out sod. I can think of a million other things that I'd rather do with the cash and the time it takes to maintain a decent lawn.

I throw down Scotts once in a while but I don't follow 'the program'. I just mow whatever pops up. It's an interesting combination of fescue, clover, dandelions, buttercups and some other white flowering weeds. The guy next door made the investment in topsoil, sod and a sprinkler system. My lawn is attacking his, but it's the risk he took by making the investment.

Jim

Elvis
08-03-05, 11:52 AM
I cut way back because I was worried that my dogs would be affected by all the chemicals. I still use the pre-emerge and a lot of Roundup.

Dadillac
08-03-05, 03:33 PM
My service is 60 bucks a visit and they make 8 to 10 visits per year.
That is alot less expensive than I thought it would cost. Maybe I will call a few places, and get estimates. If you don't mind me asking, how pleased are you with the service you are getting? I know that a 100% weed-free lawn is alot to ask for, and probably not attainable. But getting it down in the 10% range, will make me very happy.

Don