: To buy or not to buy.....1998 ESC

pose_sts
03-12-14, 01:06 PM
Good afternoon.

I'm looking at buying a 1998 Eldorado ESC with 94k miles, and the owner states that there are signs of a heater core leaking (coolant on floor, overheating, etc.) I was thinking of bypassing the core for test driving/driving home if I buy it. I thought I'd ask first if there were other things I could do besides work on a stranger's vehicle that he's trying to sell.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pose

rodnok01
03-12-14, 01:25 PM
I complain about the leaks saying I will have to pay to have it hauled home... usually saves me some $$$.

Submariner409
03-12-14, 02:05 PM
Private sales are for all practical purposes "Where is, as is" - unless you get a written warranty it's your fix but, as posted, you have haggle room.

pose_sts
03-13-14, 07:24 AM
I think there's a misunderstanding on what I'm asking. My question is in regards to the cooling system. I wanted to be sure that the overheating was due to losing coolant thru the heater core, and not that there is another reason it overheated which could contribute to the bad heater core. Sorry for the confusion.

vincentm
03-13-14, 11:04 AM
Hard to tell.

basscatt
03-13-14, 08:08 PM
I think there's a misunderstanding on what I'm asking. My question is in regards to the cooling system. I wanted to be sure that the overheating was due to losing coolant thru the heater core, and not that there is another reason it overheated which could contribute to the bad heater core. Sorry for the confusion.
--------------------------
I would be MUCH more concerned about failed head gaskets causing the overheating -

check the PURGE LINE -

and do a BLOCK TEST before buying it -
unless it has a "giving-it-away" price -

98eldo32v
03-13-14, 10:01 PM
Overheating.........

Go in preparing for the worst.......it won't be "just" the heater core......

pose_sts
03-14-14, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. That's kinda what I figured, but I thought I'd double-check. The price on it's nice, but not giveaway.

97EldoCoupe
03-15-14, 09:01 AM
Exactly how I bought my first 97 Eldo. Head gaskets failed in two months

eldoradogary
03-16-14, 09:59 AM
I would say if you are still interested a block test is a must to make sure the headgaskets are not already blown. Overheating these engines is not a good thing so it may already be a problem in the making depending on how long he has been driving the car like this. I don't think a leaking heater core would cause overheating issues unless he's losing all the coolant without refilling.