: Questions on 99-2000 escalade

SSTUD
08-01-05, 01:26 PM
Hello all i am new to the forum and currently looking at several caddy vehicles. Right now, i am looking at a 99-2000 escalade and was just woundering your opinions on these trucks? I realize that they are little more then Denalie's with caddy body cladding. I also does anyone know some common problems with these trucks or anything as far as reliability. I know they share the same drive train as the tahoe/denalie etc. Which is usually pretty reliable. Are these trucks worth the money? I can find most with decent mileage for around 18k. Thanks alot guys and i look forward to talking to you. Thanks

Synergetic
08-01-05, 02:11 PM
Spend more money and buy atleast a 2002. You'll be more happy with the performance and exotic features, not to mention the overall look which is the coolest looking SUV ever to hit the streets. Not only will you get that, but it will hold its value more. The 99/00 Escalades body style look too similar to the Tahoe/Yukon/Denali, so those years don't hold their value as well. But if you like the old body style better, then go for it!! I'm just saying, you may be more satisfied buying the newer body style.

Daryl in KY
08-01-05, 04:11 PM
SSTUD,

I have a '00 and like the older body style. The brakes aren't as good as the newer body style. The interior is very similar. The heat/air is not dual zone. The 4WD is the older style with 2Wd/4WD & Hi/low ranges. The tranny does not have the TOW feature that the newer ones have. But the ride quality is there. I think that it depends on what you want to use the vehicle for. The reliability and repair parts are par for US vehicles. Most repair shops can work on the '99/00 because they are so similar to the Tahoe/Denali.

99escalademan
08-01-05, 04:30 PM
I have a 99. It has been really reliable so far, I am up to 136k and have had to take it to the shop once to get the rotors replaced. The older body style is cool , I like it better than the newer ones.

hilldo
08-02-05, 01:33 AM
As many 2001+ models on the road the 99's and 00's almost stand out more.

The 99's came with everything standard.

No options. They came loaded. The only thing mine is lacking are some screens and wheels... and a sunroof (but who wants one in Houston's weather).

I have heard that the 01' and above are in a whole different league but I'm pretty damn happy with my 99!

Synergetic
08-02-05, 01:46 AM
I agree hilldo. There are a lot of 02+ models on the road now, it makes the older style stand out a lot.

I never use my sunroof in my 02. I forget its even there!! LOL

bensargeant
08-02-05, 03:02 AM
Hello SSTUD

I just got my 2000 a couple of weeks ago - and i've gotta say i'm over the moon with it! the ride is nice and smooth and the seats are like your favorite old armchair!

The brakes are a little soft (but i am comparing to BMW's) so you may wanna upgrade them at some stage.

All i need to get for mine now is some big wheels - when i can afford it!

Also parking it here in the UK can be a problem! but i dont think that will be an issue for you over in the States.

wht2000
08-02-05, 06:08 AM
I have a 2000 and have no complaints. I actually like the older body style. If they look too much like Tahoe's or Yukon Denali's.......that's because they were in an earlier life.

SSTUD
08-02-05, 11:22 AM
Thank you all for the replys. I would really love a 2002 escalade but i really only have 18k to play with. Anyone have problems with there 4x4? I have heard people having problems with in in the 2nd gens not sure about the first? Also how would you rate a 1st gen escalade to a 1st gen navigator? I am currently looking at both right now. The navigator has more hp (300) however it is also heavier.

nickc280
08-03-05, 02:20 AM
Thank you all for the replys. I would really love a 2002 escalade but i really only have 18k to play with. Anyone have problems with there 4x4? I have heard people having problems with in in the 2nd gens not sure about the first? Also how would you rate a 1st gen escalade to a 1st gen navigator? I am currently looking at both right now. The navigator has more hp (300) however it is also heavier.

I was in a similiar debate a month ago and gladly went with the 2000 Lade and love it, I already put 22" wheels on, stereo system, tinted windows, and about to get a new grill. Good luck with the search by the way a month ago I paid $19,000 for a 2000 with 50K miles and 30K or 1.5yr. left on factory warr. so I have no worries

SSTUD
08-03-05, 02:25 AM
I was in a similiar debate a month ago and gladly went with the 2000 Lade and love it, I already put 22" wheels on, stereo system, tinted windows, and about to get a new grill. Good luck with the search by the way a month ago I paid $19,000 for a 2000 with 50K miles and 30K or 1.5yr. left on factory warr. so I have no worries

Sorry for all the questions guys you have been very helpfull. How would you rate the acceleration of these trucks? I mean they have almost 100hp less then the new esclade. 255 compared to 345. I am just worried this truck is gunna be a slug on the HW. Also, a friend of mine has a 2001 tahoe and claims to get around 15 city and 18 or so HW. His math could be wrong but i am just currious if the 12mpg rating was with the 4x4 on? I mean 12 does seem a bit low for a truck. I mean its not the heaviest truck.

nickc280
08-03-05, 05:23 AM
yeah 12 is way low, I would say 15 is more accurate, that is what I get

hilldo
08-03-05, 01:41 PM
I'd guess around 14 mpg on average... acceleration has never been a problem with my 99... you won't smoke anyone off the line but you'll have no problem passing the fuddy duddys on the road in 40 -70 mph range. I've had no problem with my 4wd but I did have a rear end completely re-built at 72000 miles. I did do a fair amount of towing.

Get a Cadillac Certified Warranty and have the tranny front and rear diff's checked out by a neutral mechanic.

I have almost 90k and have had an intake manifold gasket and distributor and wires replaced on the engine.

Cadillac Certified means that they cover everything bumper to bumper. Buy from a dealer or verify warranty coverage from an individual.

Get all components like AC Compressor, Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Rear End, Tranny, etc all thouroughly checked before your warranty expires.

My 99 has all new major components other than the engine and tranny so I feel very confident with it lasting a long time in the future (knock on wood).

I change fluids regularly and just had the tranny fluid echanged, treated the crank case and gas tank with Seafoam, filled up with 93 octane, and swapped oil and she feels as good as ever on the road.

Personally, an Escalade aways turn my head before a Navigator... though Cube's in "Are We There Yet" was sweet. ;)

SSTUD
08-03-05, 01:42 PM
Alright thats a relief. Hows the acceleration on these trucks? I mean for 90hp less i am assuming its not the fastest pig out there. But i am currious as to how it performs on the HW etc:burn:

I was looking at a 99-2001 navigator. The things that impressed me about the navigator was load leveling suspension, it would drop 1" when in park and inflate 1" when in drive to allow easier entry. Front/rear climate controls. 3rd row seat. Specialized steering assist. 300hp. I prefer the cadillac name plate over lincoln but i also have to concider which one would be a better buy.

hilldo
08-03-05, 01:55 PM
I cannot speak for the Navigator... never driven one.

nickc280
08-03-05, 04:35 PM
good acceleration no worries there, I love my 2000

hcox10
08-03-05, 08:49 PM
:yawn: hi
i own a 2000 lade with a 5.7 motor i get between 11-12 in the city and 16-17
on the highway.
i like the looks of the 2000 than any of the lades.
it has afair amount of power but i would not take it to the drag strip.
harold

SSTUD
08-04-05, 08:55 PM
Ok, all thanks for the replys. Just a few more questions, from what i have seen on the interior it looks almost exactly the same as a tahoe. What about the interior options? I realize they all came loaded but was there a DVD/Nav option like the navigator? Or heated/cooled seats? No dual zone climate control right? How about the 3rd row seat was that standard or optional?

99 SKALAID
08-05-05, 01:22 PM
You can put a dvd screen on the center console fairly easy, i did my own.
No dual control air, but it does have rear A/C
Has heated seats that work almost to good, and have put me to sleep while driving :D

the looks of the OBS SHIT on the NBS ;)

jrs05caddyext
08-05-05, 01:26 PM
You can put a dvd screen on the center console fairly easy, i did my own.
No dual control air, but it does have rear A/C
Has heated seats that work almost to good, and have put me to sleep while driving :D

the looks of the OBS SHIT on the NBS ;)

any pics of the install?

99 SKALAID
08-05-05, 01:28 PM
if you do a search you would find them :rant2:

Bosshound
08-07-05, 02:32 AM
Just got my 2000 White Escalade. Love it. 42,000 Miles. I Purchased it for $22,000. Did I do OK ?:confused:

99 SKALAID
08-08-05, 08:40 PM
Just got my 2000 White Escalade. Love it. 42,000 Miles. I Purchased it for $22,000. Did I do OK ?:confused:

sounds like blue book to me.....

as long as your happy that is all that matters :thumbsup:

hilldo
08-09-05, 12:29 PM
I think you did great! She'll roll for a LONG TIME after 42k! I've got 90 on mine.