: Driving holiday advice - LA or San Fran to Seattle

Swordie
08-01-05, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I知 an Australian citizen, I知 thinking of starting off in L.A or San Francisco then driving to Seattle to a conference. I will have about 3 to 4 days to do the trip by myself.

What's a good place to hire a car? I would like to get a V8 Muscle car but they seem a bit expensive, the next option is something like a 300C.

How long is it in distance and time for the following?

1) LA - Las Vegas - Seattle
2) LA - San Fran - Seattle

3) San Fran - Seattle

4) San Fran - Las Vegas - Seattle

What's the best trip considering I have 3 to 4 days?

majax
08-01-05, 03:24 AM
Hey Welcome to the forum:D and though it may be a little early welcome to the United States.

If you want to rent a decent car then you should go to Hertz, Enterprise, Dollar, Thrifty, or Avis. You will very likely find at least one of those at L.A. International. Only knowing that you want a V8 I would either recomend a 300c or a Cadillac DeVille. The Deville will have better gas mileage and more comfort for long trips. Unless you prefer a firmer car for long trips, then get a Seville.

I hope you have a great time! All you will need to do to get from L.A. to S.F. to Seattle is to take Interstate 5 (4 lanes) where you can go about 80mph. The speed limit is 75 on most Interstates. Of course I may also recomend US route 101 which can be very scenic.

give me a few to check on the travel times and distances between the 3 places.

majax
08-01-05, 03:35 AM

3) San Fran - Seattle

What's the best trip considering I have 3 to 4 days?

1) Los Angeles - Seattle on I5 is 1145.00mi miles which is about a 17 hour drive
2) It is 1257.1mi from Vegas to Seattle and Vegas is 270 miles to L.A.
3) 806.7 miles
4) I would not recomend that strategy because you end up backtracking. But it is 1257.1 miles back from Vegas to Seattle and from S.F. to Vegas it is about 570 miles.

If you want to drive a lot you could make any of these trips in 3 - 4 days. I think it would be best to do option 1 though. You can take I5 the whole way and go through wine country and maybe get on US 101 for a while. All your stops are on the same highway basically. I would not know if S.F. is better than L.V.

Kev
08-01-05, 04:18 AM
Hi,

I知 an Australian citizen, I知 thinking of starting off in L.A or San Francisco then driving to Seattle to a conference. I will have about 3 to 4 days to do the trip by myself.

What's a good place to hire a car? I would like to get a V8 Muscle car but they seem a bit expensive, the next option is something like a 300C.

How long is it in distance and time for the following?

3) San Fran - Seattle

What's the best trip considering I have 3 to 4 days?Hi Swordie,
You might have a problem renting a car to travel through two states, many car rental places in California do not allow their cars to go out of state, you will want to verify before you make plans. As Majax said, there are many rental companies at LAX, SFIA also.

If you do drive from LAX I would not recomment I5 unless you want to be reminded of the Ausie Outback, It's not quite as desolate but it is extremely boring. It's just very bleak between LA and Sacramento, and there is the foul odor of cattle midway through. I recommend taking US101 up to San Francisco, there are plenty of beautiful places to stop along the way. The distance along 101 is about 435 miles. You will want to take I405 north to US101 and then you're good to go all the way to SF. Aproximately 7 hrs (legal) driving time depending on traffic.

From San Francisco to Seattle is about 808 miles. You will want to take I80 north to I5 (near Sacramento, you can bypass Sac if you want to save a couple of miles or stop in Sac to see a few sights). Then it's I5 all the way up to Seattle. I5 becomes much more scenic north of Sacramento. It's downright gorgeous through Oregon. Aproximately 12 1/2 hrs (legal) driving time depending on traffic.

All in all it could easily take you 2 days or more depending on whether you want to take some tour stops. Stopping in Las Vegas might be a bit ambitious in regard to your time frame.

If you have any particular interests for stops let me know, I might be able to recommend a few for you.

Good luck on your trip, I hope you have a marvelous time!

LilaGirl72Eldo
08-01-05, 08:21 AM
3) san francisco (oi vey with the san fran!) to seattle : 10-12 hours

Swordie
08-02-05, 08:34 AM
Thanks for your replies it's very much appreciated. I知 looking forward to doing some driving in your country.