: Towing with 99 Escalade

Bigkondor
08-01-05, 12:17 AM
Just wondering what the realistic limitations are for towing. I am going to be towing about 5000-6000 lbs. about 2000 miles.Ive got a new crate motor (with shorty headers) everything else stock, and all fluids changed. Are the stock oil and trans coolers sufficient.Ive got trans temp and oil temp guages, and the oil temp runs about 210 normally will towing be too much. I do use Amsoil.:confused:

Daryl in KY
08-01-05, 11:25 AM
Hi BigK,

I have a 2000 and pull a single axle trailer and have pulled 5,000 lbs for short distances. For 5,000 to 6,000 lbs I hope that you have a double axle trailer that is well balanced. The stock Caddy suspension won't handle trailer hitch weights over 400 to 500 lbs very well. The rear end goes down and the front end goes up. If you keep the hitch weight in line I believe the Caddy will pull the load quite well. The trailer needs to have brakes capable of the load being carried. The brakes on the '99/00 just won't handle that much CGVW. The tranny is capable of 12,000 lb. So with a 6,000 lb truck and a 6,000 lb trailer, you should be OK.

I'm surprised at your oil temp being that high. I also run synthetic engine oil and am very pleased with it. I also run Red Line tranny fluid and I assume Amsoil tranny fluid is just as good. I would suggest that the stock set-up is OK provided you keep an eye on the temperatures. Make sure that your tire pressure is at 35 to 36 psi.

Good luck.

hilldo
08-01-05, 11:57 AM
I've towed between 5000 and 6000 lbs with my 99 and as stated the rear end sags and the front is raised up substantially. I was able to brake fairly well but that load will push your brakes for that distance you are running. I installed monroe airshocks on the rear end and they really helped balance the load and keep the rear end from sagging (only about $150). For your distance I would suggest integrating the trailer hydraulic brakes into your 99 and going with some airshocks or maybe even airbags to balance the tongue weight.

99 SKALAID
08-05-05, 02:16 PM
My 99 with 23's tows just perfectly my car and a trailer approximate weight is about 7000 pounds. I installed air bags in the rear to level out the vehicle while towing. I live in san francisco and have towed to vegas before. NO problem. :lildevil:

my truck has almost 120k :bighead: