: I nearly crashed my Vauxhall!

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 06:24 PM
I was driving down a back road in my Vectra today, a twisty back road, and there is a sharp hairpin bend, because it was raining i was only going maybe 40, which for this stretch of road is not particularly fast, and i hit a pothole in the road, the car went mad, the front of the car wen down, and the power steering went, i slammed on the brakes and stopped maybe 5 inches away from a 10 foot ditch. the front bumper was actually touching the road, so it indicates to me the suspension has gone, but i am confused as to how, because the hole i hit was not that deep or big. I dont think it has damaged anything but the front bumper and suspension, but i dont know where the power steering went, but i decided to get the car towed back to my house. it is sitting in my garage now, still touching the ground on the front bumper. The car is 6 years old. I will get it looked at tomorrow. I was very close to writing the car off, not being able to steer it much. It shook me up somewhat, but my son and daughter were more so. it really worried me that the car would do that on such a small hole in the road at a low speed. I almost certainly have rolled the car overhad i been on a highway. Just thought id share tis because it shook me up alot....

mccombie_6
07-31-05, 06:58 PM
I agree it was very scary. I was kissing my seatbelt lol

addison_ii
07-31-05, 07:05 PM
Wow, glad to hear you all made it through ok. That had to have been pretty nerve wrecking. I wonder though what really happened with the car? What made it lose power steering like that? Well glad you guys are ok and have no injuries or anything.
Keep us posted. I think you all should have a group hug and relax for the day.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 07:14 PM
Wow, glad to hear you all made it through ok. That had to have been pretty nerve wrecking. I wonder though what really happened with the car? What made it lose power steering like that? Well glad you guys are ok and have no injuries or anything.
Keep us posted. I think you all should have a group hug and relax for the day.

thanks. but i do think a group beer is more approriate! its going to a Vauxhall dealer in the morning, im taking time off work to go. It really worried me, i mean, in my time ive had a few near misses in my life, but that was the nearest. If that car had gone into the ditch we may not have been seen there. its about 30 degees steep. It worried me, because the Vectra is not the safest car on the roads by any means. I dont think it is anything to do with worn parts, because all of this was checked when it wsa serviced recently, it cost me 50 to get it towed two miles, and it will cost me alot more to have it towed tomorrow morning. It has not had any major problems before so i cant see what this could be, i am also glad my youngest kids are ok.

Adam
07-31-05, 07:26 PM
damn dude that really sucks, you are ok right? cars can be replaced but you or your son and daughter couldnt be. hope your ok, no injuries or anything i hope. ill keep you in my prayers. really sucks about your car, but things happen for a reason. good luck brother, hope everything turns out!

Adam
07-31-05, 07:31 PM
I dont think it is anything to do with worn parts, because all of this was checked when it wsa serviced recently, it cost me 50 to get it towed two miles, and it will cost me alot more to have it towed tomorrow morning.

man those tow companies can sure gouge cant they? they charged me $45 bucks from the scene of the crash to there garage. then 15 bucks for a storage. it woulda been 15 bucks a day but i had it towed to a body shop the same day (my dad is friends with the owner) and he kept it for free until the insurance company could do the estimate. so they charged me another 60 dollars for them to tow it to the shop. fortunately the shop i had it towed to footed the bill and they charged the insurance company. lucked out there.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 07:35 PM
damn dude that really sucks, you are ok right? cars can be replaced but you or your son and daughter couldnt be. hope your ok, no injuries or anything i hope. ill keep you in my prayers. really sucks about your car, but things happen for a reason. good luck brother, hope everything turns out!

Yeah we were all fine. Thanks for your kind thoughts. It just worries me to think what might of happened if we had been going any faster thats all. I mean 40 isnt fast, but i would not have stopped that car if we had been doing 50+ the kids were fine thankfully, i wouldnt normally have driven that car, but it was in front of three of my garage doors after i used it last night. So i just took that. I am just worried as to what caused the suspension to suddenly drop to a point where the car was touching the road it will need a new bumper, and some work doing into the suspension obviously, the power steering failure terrified me, possibly the suspensiion damage may have severed something to do with the PAS? i dont know. But i will find out in the morning. Thanks again.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 07:39 PM
man those tow companies can sure gouge cant they? they charged me $45 bucks from the scene of the crash to there garage. then 15 bucks for a storage. it woulda been 15 bucks a day but i had it towed to a body shop the same day (my dad is friends with the owner) and he kept it for free until the insurance company could do the estimate. so they charged me another 60 dollars for them to tow it to the shop. fortunately the shop i had it towed to footed the bill and they charged the insurance company. lucked out there.

Yeah that is lucky, i dont think i will have the same luck. Its about 15 miles to my Vauxhall garage. It will not be cheap. :nono:

Adam
07-31-05, 07:50 PM
Yeah we were all fine. Thanks for your kind thoughts. It just worries me to think what might of happened if we had been going any faster thats all. I mean 40 isnt fast, but i would not have stopped that car if we had been doing 50+ the kids were fine thankfully, i wouldnt normally have driven that car, but it was in front of three of my garage doors after i used it last night. So i just took that. I am just worried as to what caused the suspension to suddenly drop to a point where the car was touching the road it will need a new bumper, and some work doing into the suspension obviously, the power steering failure terrified me, possibly the suspensiion damage may have severed something to do with the PAS? i dont know. But i will find out in the morning. Thanks again.

well thats good everyone is ok and am glad to hear it.

man lemme tell ya about not having power steering. i had a 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with no power steering. it was a lowrider (my first lowlow) and man three wheelin was no fun! we fixed that though. i drove it around for about 2 months before we got it fixed. had to replace the pump, it had a crack in it somehow. that car would sit so low you couldnt get your finger under the cross member. it was a great ride but i sold it to one of my friends. hmm, you know i can work on that suspension, get an air ride setup, wires you know...hehe:eyebrow:.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 07:56 PM
well thats good everyone is ok and am glad to hear it.

man lemme tell ya about not having power steering. i had a 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with no power steering. it was a lowrider (my first lowlow) and man three wheelin was no fun! we fixed that though. i drove it around for about 2 months before we got it fixed. had to replace the pump, it had a crack in it somehow. that car would sit so low you couldnt get your finger under the cross member. it was a great ride but i sold it to one of my friends. hmm, you know i can work on that suspension, get an air ride setup, wires you know...hehe:eyebrow:.

I could live without it, just when it dies on you right there you panick a bit! It is annoying going from a car with PAS to one without, you almost forget howhard it can be. Heres some pictures and a review of the car, mine is exactly the same, judge for yoursefl if it can be a lowrider :coolgleam

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/images/VAUXHALL_VECTRA_GSI_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/vectra_gsi.html&h=206&w=308&sz=17&tbnid=UFN4qI43DSoJ:&tbnh=74&tbnw=112&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvectra%2Bgsi%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Adam
07-31-05, 08:24 PM
hmm i could work with that. fwd i bet, lets see, fwd so we'll go with bags (so i dont have to really reinforce the frame) and some wire wheels, 14s ok? front back and side to side. probably get it to dog leg too. hehe i could have fun with it. in all seriousness though, i wouldnt lowride that. looks like a pretty nice car. is it a luxury car? and what the hell is a ford st200? must only be sold over there. guess its not if it is competing with a ford.

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 08:37 PM
hmm i could work with that. fwd i bet, lets see, fwd so we'll go with bags (so i dont have to really reinforce the frame) and some wire wheels, 14s ok? front back and side to side. probably get it to dog leg too. hehe i could have fun with it. in all seriousness though, i wouldnt lowride that. looks like a pretty nice car. is it a luxury car? and what the hell is a ford st200? must only be sold over there. guess its not if it is competing with a ford.

Its GM's uk domestic brand Vauxhall, where you guys got your Catera from, thats our Omega, i also had one of those before this, i downsized to this though, the vectra is FWD, its like the car everyone has, not many people have the GSi model, i dont know what compares to it in US, but its a mid range car, small by US standards, medium-large here. engines Range from 1.8 4cy to a 2.6 V6. Mine is the V6 The ford ST200 is the ford mondeo (in direct competition with the Vectra) I personally prefer the Vectra. For the amount of money a base model would have cost me, i decided to just get the GSi. I use it for general use, just doin odd jobs, running around to the DIY store etc. There was a 1.8 Base model at the same garage i got this from, 10k more miles, poor equipment and no CD! it was 4,600. I only paid 5,500 for the top spec model thats much faster.

Take a look at the ST200:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~murcod/Images/ST200%20side.JPG

Vesicant
07-31-05, 08:48 PM
Ahh my favourite model vectra... :helpless:

Sad to hear yours decided to fold on itself. However Im glad to see you're safe. Car did its job'.

My brother inlaw has the Mercury Mystique (Mondeo ) and I like the car but it rides too harsh. Although the way he's treated it im guessing it needs new shock-absorbers lol.

addison_ii
07-31-05, 08:52 PM
thanks. but i do think a group beer is more approriate!, it cost me 50 to get it towed two miles, and it will cost me alot more to have it towed tomorrow morning. I was thinking that but didn't want to advocate giving alcohol to minors:D . You guys don't have a UK equivalent to our AAA where you purchase a roadside service card?

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 08:58 PM
Ahh my favourite model vectra... :helpless:

Sad to hear yours decided to fold on itself. However Im glad to see you're safe. Car did its job'.

My brother inlaw has the Mercury Mystique (Mondeo ) and I like the car but it rides too harsh. Although the way he's treated it im guessing it needs new shock-absorbers lol.

well i suppose most cars from the EU would have a harsh ride when theyre taken to america, thats why most american cars run uber-smooth on UK roads. I really dont like the standard Mondeo at all. Its like driving a cake, no feel, soggy steering, the ST model is better but i just dont like modern fords.

I do particualrly like the Vectra, but i liked the cavalier i had in 92, and it is essentially an updated version. It was either the GSi or a CDX model, and i decided to get the sports GSi instead. It is fast, its been up to 150 before. For a car for running around in it is great. Although my older son has scratched my 17s a few times. It does its job better than i felt the mondeo would, it can take my fishing rods, and long pieces of wood etc. It is nice to know you have the better one than the guy in hi 1.8 next to you too:D I just hope they can tell me whats wrong and fix it. I do like this car, and i will be keeping it until its dead. it has only got 56,000 on it now. It has many years left. Have any of you driven the Vectra at all?

Ralph
07-31-05, 08:58 PM
I hit a huge bump in a back alley with the Pontiac Phoenix once and the engine stalled, so I lost power steering because of that. I could not move the steering wheel even if I tried, so it was a good thing I wasn't going fast or on a curve.

It happens. I was sure I had damaged the coils or struts, but there were no problems. Basically I "bottomed out."

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 09:00 PM
I was thinking that but didn't want to advocate giving alcohol to minors:D . You guys don't have a UK equivalent to our AAA where you purchase a roadside service card?

Many we have the AA automobile assosiation, the RAC Royal Automobile club, Green flag etc etc, just i dont have it on that car!

The beer? perfectly legal if they are in their own home :yup:

mccombie_5
07-31-05, 09:04 PM
I hit a huge bump in a back alley with the Pontiac Phoenix once and the engine stalled, so I lost power steering because of that. I could not move the steering wheel even if I tried, so it was a good thing I wasn't going fast or on a curve.

It happens. I was sure I had damaged the coils or struts, but there were no problems. Basically I "bottomed out."

ouch. well i thought i had initially, then when i did stop the car, i realised the bumper was scraping along the ground and i just wouldnt risk driving a car with snapped/damaged springs, no power steering and a damaged bumper. basially the car went straight on in a bend. Luckily i stopped it before it went into that ditch by using that last resort-the handbrake

Stoneage_Caddy
07-31-05, 09:55 PM
Ill take a peek at a saturn l200 (american version of the vectra) tomorrow and see what i can figure out ...

you may have not lost power steering , but the ammount of binding in the suspension could be making the car hard to turn ...

open the hood and check the strut towers ....ive seen 2 failures on other (chryslers) fwd cars that went that way ...or it may have fractured the upper half of the steering knuckle where it attaches to the strut ...only other thing i can think of is the spring perch part of the strut failed ...if that happend you can turn the wheel full lock and peer thru the wheel well.... you should be able to see the spring just hanging there....

really strange deal ....had to be very scary ...

there was that one time the wheel fell of the bus i was driving ...that wasnt much fun ...LOL....

majax
08-01-05, 12:13 AM
wow we have two mccombies on the site now, awesome. Welcome #6.

You are definatley blessed to be %100 okay. I am very glad.

mccombie_5
08-01-05, 08:03 AM
Well i took it to the dealership this mornin. 70 on a flatbed! the mechanic looked at the car, put it up on a lift, took some things off it, and preceeded to tell me both of my springs had actually snapped, he also confirmed that the power steering had goe too. i asked what may have caused this, explaining what happened yesterday, he said it was likely the springs had already been cracked or damaged, and that a small shudder set them to break, and it had possibly damaged power steering parts etc.
He is carrying out the required work as i am typing. He said we were lucky not to have crashed the car. It probably wont be cheap to fix either. well we'll see.

Stoney? How did the wheel fall off the bus??!!??

Thank you for all of your kind thouoghts

Adam
08-01-05, 09:21 PM
whew 70 bucks eh? oh well, guess you'll just have to get a 96 Fleetwood Brougham *sigh*.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-01-05, 09:52 PM
the lug nuts came off the wheel .....luckily i was going 10mph ....unlckily i had a full load of passengers includeing a colonel .....wasnt easy explaing that one ...

majax
08-02-05, 12:42 AM
whew 70 bucks eh? oh well, guess you'll just have to get a 96 Fleetwood Brougham *sigh*.

Not bucks, Pounds. Roughly $100 I believe:bonkers:

mccombie_5
08-02-05, 03:18 AM
the lug nuts came off the wheel .....luckily i was going 10mph ....unlckily i had a full load of passengers includeing a colonel .....wasnt easy explaing that one ...

I bet it wasnt! you arent in the forces any more are you stoney? :p joke ;)

And yes, 70 at current rates is about $120. Hopefully the work should be done soon and i can return them their 'courtesy' car. I havent yet used it. I think id rather "run around" in the STS than be seen dead in this thing.

Looks something like this:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/images/Agila_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/agila.html&h=246&w=358&sz=23&tbnid=4XLJpS44WioJ:&tbnh=80&tbnw=117&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvauxhall%2Bagila%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Adam
08-02-05, 10:16 AM
Not bucks, Pounds. Roughly $100 I believe:bonkers:

i know its pounds :cookoo:. god forbid i say bucks instead of pounds.

Adam
08-02-05, 10:20 AM
Looks something like this:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/images/Agila_3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hoot-uk.com/content/launch_pad/archive/vauxhall/agila.html&h=246&w=358&sz=23&tbnid=4XLJpS44WioJ:&tbnh=80&tbnw=117&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvauxhall%2Bagila%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3D en%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

yuck! you couldnt hold a gun to my head and force me into it. what are those car makers over there thinking? why would they build something that ugly and bland? you dont know im sure but maybe theyll see this.

mccombie_5
08-02-05, 02:19 PM
yuck! you couldnt hold a gun to my head and force me into it. what are those car makers over there thinking? why would they build something that ugly and bland? you dont know im sure but maybe theyll see this.

What? I think its beautiful ;) the reason i dont use it is because i sit and stare at it :p its a Vauxhall Agila. AKA the suzuki Wagon R+. IT has so much power from that 1.0 12v 3 cylinder engine

mccombie_5
08-03-05, 03:51 PM
Update: Vauxhall called me today to tell me my car was ready. Its costing me 1,800 for the repairs. The power steering was easy to fix, the problems were the springs that caused issues. oh and 200 for a new bumper and painting. I'll collect it tomorrow. and take their courtesy car back :D

mccombie_5
08-04-05, 08:14 PM
Another update: I took my courtesy car back, and they returned me my Vectra, at a cost of nearly 2k. All is well, and she runs fine, power steering fixed, suspension good, and bumper replaced. My junior was suprised to park that when i got in at lunchtime today. He didnt even know i had it. "is there anything else i should know about Craig?" ah well. asll is good with it, and they do not understand why the springs snapped either. All i can say is i was very pleased to give them their Agila back with only 30 more miles on it that it left with, 15 miles to my house, 15 back :D
My Vectra has 120 miles more than it did on it though....